Anyone carry a Night Guard?

This is a discussion on Anyone carry a Night Guard? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am thinking about getting a 327 to carry OWB at night while working and fishing. I need to start carrying at night and have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I am thinking about getting a 327 to carry OWB at night while working and fishing. I need to start carrying at night and have always preferred revolvers.

I like the idea of being able to shoot 38+P or Buffalo Bore Short Barrel 357s in the same gun. I am alreading getting a SW 442 to pocker carry full time and like the idea of being able to use the same ammo in both guns!

Where I fish at night here in Colorado we have lots of Lions, coyotes and large dogs roaming around. Which is why I would like the option of loading 357s. If it was just for 2 legged vermin I might of considered a Glock 19. But I need something that will handle both! The 8 shot cylinder seems like a nice compromise to me! Plus the Night Guard feels like it was made for my hand!!!!

Sounds like you have a good plan. I dont have a Night Guard, but I did look at them when I did something similiar. I went with a SP101 3" barrell .357 mag. And I also got a S&W 637 .38. Yea its nice to be able to shoot .38s in both. The NightGuard just didnt fit my small hands. I liked the feel and build of the SP101 better. IMO if I were looking for a woods-outdoor-combination CCW it would be a Glock 29 in 10mm.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    My friend carries his nightguard 10mm in his truck. It is his go to gun in a pinch
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Last year I had decided to purchase an 8-shot nite-guard from S&W. I went to my favorite gun shop where the salesperson told me she had just refused to take one in on trade that had less than 50 rounds through it. She said the customer told her he had taken it to the range twice and on each occasion, after approx. 25 rnds., the scandium frame cracked. Each time he sent it back to S&W, they repaired it. I ended up buying a Taurus 7-shot .357 in stainless. So far it has been flawless but I still pine for the nite-guard. I have never heard any other complaints about the scandium frames, except that because of their weight, have quite a bit of kick. I have a S&W 342 titanium 5-shot .38+p that I pocket carry. It is so light, I forget it's there, but it's only 5-shot. I don't practice enough to trust my shot placement so I usually opt for more rounds. Just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    Last year I had decided to purchase an 8-shot nite-guard from S&W. I went to my favorite gun shop where the salesperson told me she had just refused to take one in on trade that had less than 50 rounds through it. She said the customer told her he had taken it to the range twice and on each occasion, after approx. 25 rnds., the scandium frame cracked. Each time he sent it back to S&W, they repaired it. I ended up buying a Taurus 7-shot .357 in stainless. So far it has been flawless but I still pine for the nite-guard. I have never heard any other complaints about the scandium frames, except that because of their weight, have quite a bit of kick. I have a S&W 342 titanium 5-shot .38+p that I pocket carry. It is so light, I forget it's there, but it's only 5-shot. I don't practice enough to trust my shot placement so I usually opt for more rounds. Just sayin.
    I had heard that the first run had problems with the Pin not being long enough and that had caused some failure to fire issues. But that has supposed to be fixed now? It is alot of money for something that isn't flawless right out of the box I also like the 7-shot 686 3"!

Quote Originally Posted by Alarm Guy View Post
    I had heard that the first run had problems with the Pin not being long enough and that had caused some failure to fire issues. But that has supposed to be fixed now? It is alot of money for something that isn't flawless right out of the box I also like the 7-shot 686 3"!
    I'd personally go with that 3" 686 any day of the week.

I carried my 325NG for most of today. I'm quite pleased with it, no issues so far.

The 329NG I had before it, though, had the light primer strike issue mentioned above. A quick trip to S&W took care of it.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    I carried my 325NG for most of today. I'm quite pleased with it, no issues so far.

The 329NG I had before it, though, had the light primer strike issue mentioned above. A quick trip to S&W took care of it.
    Just curious as to why you picked the 325 over the other models? I like the idea of the moon clips also!

The j frame was an easy decision for me, but I am really having a hard time trying to decide what to carry on my hip? Wish I could afford to buy about five guns, LOL.

I have admired the S&W 396 Night Guard in .44 Special. I already have a Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 Special, but it is not nearly as nice as the S&W. There is always room in my stable of handguns for a 396!
    God bless our troops!

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Snub nose .357 mag pistols have never made much sense to me. The whole point of the .357 magnum cartridge is to get high velocity. Having a super short barrel negates the ability of the .357 to reach the type of velocities that it can achieve.

To me, a 357 mag revolver should have at least a 4 inch barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by crzy4guns View Post
    I have admired the S&W 396 Night Guard in .44 Special. I already have a Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 Special, but it is not nearly as nice as the S&W. There is always room in my stable of handguns for a 396!
    Please stop! All this talk about these nifty cool revolvers is making me want one! And then you had to mention the 44 spl. I just bought an m21-4 Thunder Ranch 44 spl yesterday and now you all have got me wanting the 44spl Night Guard!

Just curious as to why you picked the 325 over the other models? I like the idea of the moon clips also!

The j frame was an easy decision for me, but I am really having a hard time trying to decide what to carry on my hip? Wish I could afford to buy about five guns, LOL.
    Well, I had originally gotten the 329NG; however, with full-power .44 mags, it was just a bit too much (whoda thunk it...). So, I started firing .44spl out of it...and figured that if I was just going to shoot .44 spl, why not get a .45acp since I already had several other handguns in .45.

Moon clips are just a bonus.

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    Well, I had originally gotten the 329NG; however, with full-power .44 mags, it was just a bit too much (whoda thunk it...). So, I started firing .44spl out of it...and figured that if I was just going to shoot .44 spl, why not get a .45acp since I already had several other handguns in .45.

Moon clips are just a bonus.
    How do you choose bullets for a short barrel 45? Do you go down in bullet weight or up to 230 grain, or +p?

I would think a 4" 625 would be a really versitle revolver between moon clips and Auto Rim ammo the choices are huge!

I myself stay away from the S&W Scanduim revolvers because a bunch of them we at the wholesale gunshop took to test fire had cracked frames and were sent back to factory for credit on steel revolvers. Fond out that the material of the scanduim isnt hard enough and did not go thru quality control procedures correctly[testfire]. So,watch out before you do something wrong of buying one. I would like I said,GET A STEEL GUN BEFORE YOU GET THESE LEMONS. Get a Ruger,you will enjoy it more. richgp100z P.S. we buy alot of revolvers and 1911s than any other guns on the market. But stay with steel not scanduim. MAKE YOUR OWN RIGHT CHOICES. The expensive priced brands are coming out worse than the lower priced ones.

How do you choose bullets for a short barrel 45? Do you go down in bullet weight or up to 230 grain, or +p?

I would think a 4" 625 would be a really versitle revolver between moon clips and Auto Rim ammo the choices are huge!
    I use 230gr (Speer GDHP LE to be exact), but I'm a believer in heavy bullets. Although, I'm considering picking up some of Black Hill's 185gr Barnes loads for it, see how they go.

I have also considered 255gr SWCHP's, but the only ones I can find are +P and I really don't see any advantage of running +P in this short of a barrel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links