ATI FX45 Titan

This is a discussion on ATI FX45 Titan within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been hankering for a sub-compact single-stack 45ACP. Here's my twisted logic: I can't find what I consider to be a 'pocket' 9mm. So if ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATI FX45 Titan

VIP Member

ATI FX45 Titan

I've been hankering for a sub-compact single-stack 45ACP.

Here's my twisted logic: I can't find what I consider to be a 'pocket' 9mm. So if I'm gonna have wear it on my belt, and have a reduced round-count due to single-stack (keepin' it thin), I'd rather have it be stacked with 45ACP over 9mm.

Okay, so now that I've justified getting another gun , I'm off to do my research. Ironically, in spite of my amorous tendancies toward Glock, I took a 'pass' on the G36. I really can't tell much difference between it and the G30 that I already own. Given my obilivion towards the width difference, I prefer 10+1 over 6+1, so the G30 keeps its place in my life.

This gun is also going to be a 'beater'. My lifestyle is rough on my CC's and I can't bear to tear up some beautiful show-piece that I paid over 1K for. There's a bunch of striker-fired choices out there, but the 1911 platform naturally lends itself to the thin profile that I was looking for. Heck, I almost just went with my full-size Springer, but the barrel length was causing a level of discomfort when I'm on the motocycle.

So now I'm down to RIA's, Citidel's, American Classic's and low-and-behold, what is this shiny ATI thing that just showed up in my local store's gun case? I almost didn't pick it up since it was just released this year (homie is not an early-adopter). But I did, and it was all over after that. The slide action is like butter. The trigger breaks like glass, and the fit and finish is slightly better than that of my Springer which cost twice as much. So, $470 later, I'm out the door. It only comes with one mag, so I have a stack of Wilsons on web order. Capacity is decent for a gun this size of 7+1 (many on the web are advertised as 5+1).

So, next week I'll get to the range and see if it chokes on my assortment of 45ACP. If it survives the torture test, I'll be breaking my 'no safety' rule and putting this into the carry rotation. Otherwise, I'll have a project gun . We'll see how it goes...
    Attached Images
    Last edited by WHEC724; October 14th, 2010 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Remove photos with seriel #'s

2. Remove Ads

Looks good. I had never heard of them until this thread. I'm eager to see a range report on it. I always love seeing another reasonably priced fierarm perform well.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

time to dig up an oldish thread. How wide is that FX Titan? I'm having a heck of a time finding any dimensions on this pistol online. I'm thinking about getting one in SS and possibly switching to an ultra thin grip too.
    Whitestone Castle Armory, Austin TX
    http://www.wcarmory.com/
    Stuff For Sale http://forsale.wcptexas.com

GM
    Congrats and enjoy.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Bill View Post
    time to dig up an oldish thread. How wide is that FX Titan? I'm having a heck of a time finding any dimensions on this pistol online. I'm thinking about getting one in SS and possibly switching to an ultra thin grip too.
    You'll want those thin grips. There is darn little info available on this, especially on their own web site. Whomever does their marketing needs to be re-allocated.

I started to snap some pics compared to my Springer 'Loaded', but I must have left my camera at work. Basically, the dimensions are the same, except it has a 3.13" bull barrel. BTW the grips are actually a hair thicker than SA's cocobolo's, and negate the thin profile of the gun otherwise. They gotta go. I'm on the hunt for some slims.

Range-wise, the sights are fine but it becomes a point-shooter in dim light. Break-in was a cliff-hanger... Random fail-to-feeds (9 to be exact) during the first 100 rounds. I cycled some Wilson mags and still got an occasional FTF. The next box of 100 (WWB's), it was down to 3 FTF's. Hollow points feed fine. The slide seemed to be getting gritty, so after cleaning it for the second time (after the first range session), I loaded some grease on the rails instead of oil and it really liked that. In the second range session, it ran flawless with assorted 230 grains FMJ & HP's. Having ruled out the magazines, I think it's just that the timing is critical with these short barrels. Giving that slide every advantage becomes of paramount importance. Honestly, I was surprised that it choked on so many rounds. However, it seems to have settled into a good groove, and it does shoot really nice. Even so, it'll have to pull a few more flawless sessions before it graduates into my 'carry club'.

From a quality of construction standpoint, it fits together with much tighter tolerances than the SA. I'm by no means a 1911 expert, but I do appreciate quality and it's there. It is evident that this was assembled, honed and fitted by a human, not a machine. This thing is built like a tank. It will likely long outlast me, my son and my grandkids.

Tritium sights and thin grips and it'll be a perfect IWB for my motorcycle rides. I think the stainless version is beautiful, but I just don't trust myself with nice things .

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    The Titan FX45 is imported by (ATI) American Tactical Imports and made by Shooters Arms Manufacturing in the Philippines. Quality wise its on par with offerings from RIA (maybe a bit more refined overall than RIA guns) which is also of course made in the Philippines by Twin Pines Inc. ATI is only an importer not a manufacturer and also imports the German Sports Guns (GSG) products.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Kind of grungy looking sights... looks like the rear is Novak dovetailed, is the front sight pinned? I can't tell.
    Hakkaa päälle!

I have been looking at one as well. Please let us know how it shoots. Also would be interested to know if you are planning on changing out the sights. I have been trying to find out if any of the common aftermarket tritium will fit.

I just got off the phone w/the ATI Gunsmith, and the FX45 Titan has "Novak Cut" sights, so he said standard aftermarkets will be no problem. Looks like Santa may be coming to my house early.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    So the front sight is dovetailed?
    Hakkaa päälle!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    So the front sight is dovetailed?
    Yeah - the sights are identical to a Novak-style mount, both front and rear.

That's great info, WH.

Getting ready to pull the trigger on the stainless model. Bud's has them for under $500, free ship. Was going to do the RIA CS, but it's a tank and I don't care for park'd carry guns.

Have read about some issues, but they all seem related to tight fit and break-in type stuff.

Another question I'd have is if you think standard 1911 parts will fit most of this unit.

If you call ATI you can ask to speak w/the armorer

Got one, blued version. My specs from measuring:
    Length: 6.88"
    Height: 5.0" w/o mag
    Width: .92" at slide
    ........ 1.3" at grip
    Weight: 29 oz empty
    Barrel: 3.16"
    Trigger: 4#-5#, light but crisp

Recoil spring assembly - a PITA to put back together - pay attention when you 1st take it apart
    Some brass on top of the head
    After 150 rounds - no issues and feeds HPs fine.
    Most basic parts appear Colt-like and easily replaceable. Have put new slide release and plunger spring assembly in from Midwest. My fault - too much buffing.
    Lots of cosmoline or some goop that takes a few cleaning sessions to get all of it out. Finish is good.

Angry Problems with ATI FX 45 and their customer service...

I want to start by saying that I love my FX 45 Military... when it's functioning. I hate ATI's customer support.

To put it bluntly, ATI's customer service SUCKS! When I first purchased my FX 45 Military, I had a minor problem. When I removed the grips, the grip bushing came out of the frame so that the grip screw and bushing were in the grip when I removed it. No problem. I didn't want to put a pair of pliers on the threads of the bushing that was stuck in the grip without having a replacement in hand so I called ATI and they said they'd send me some screws and bushings. I waited for six weeks. I then called ATI again only to find out that someone had dropped the ball and the screws and bushings were never sent. I was assured it would get done right away and a few days later, I received the screws and bushings. Problem solved.

I then embarked on installing some Trijicon night sights. The military sights on the FX 45 were extremely hard to remove so I called ATI's customer service. I called several times but got customer service's voice mail every time so I left a message each time. I finally circumvented their customer service phone menu and was able to speak to a live person who assured me that the sights were not attached in any special way. I had to cut out the rear sight with my Dremel tool and a cutting disk. I had to drill out the front sight tenon to get it out. I installed my sights without no problem and they are awesome! By the way, ATI finally listened to their voice mail and I got a call back a week later.

My friend has an FX 45 GI. He saw my sights and asked me to install some on his 1911. Should be a snap, right? WRONG! I installed the front sight with no problem but when I tried to install the rear sight, the dovetail was way way way too big. It was nowhere near military specification. You'd think the measurements would be the same as my FX 45 but they were not even close. The Trijicon rear sight flopped around in that dovetail like a fish out of water. We're going to weld in some shims and try to fit that rear sight in that dovetail. Apparently, the quality control on these 1911's leaves a bit to be desired!

The saga does not end there. I then decided to Duracoat my FX 45 Military with a matte black finish. It came out way better than I expected. I love Duracoat. I waited five days for the Duracoat to cure properly before going to the range. During my shooting, my hammer cracked at the back below the thumb pad. If you pull your hammer all the way back, the thumb pad may touch the beavertail. The hammer cracked in that area right below the thumb pad across the back. I was not happy but hey, if you pay $400 for a 1911, you should expect some crappy parts. I called ATI and you guessed it, voice mail... with a twist! Their voice mailboxes were full so I couldn't even leave a message! I called three times and then went to plan B; I circumvented the voice mail system again and spoke to a receptionist of some kind. I told her that when I call customer service, it goes to voice mail but their voice mail is full so I can't leave a message. She said, "Well, there are only two of them down there. They're busy." The receptionist then connected me to someone else's voice mail. I left a message (that was a couple of days ago) but I'm not expecting a callback any time soon.

Once I get my new hammer from Brownells, I'm sure I'll be happy with my FX 45 again. It's a great shooter. My minor problems became major problems because ATI's customer service is HORRIBLE! BUYER BEWARE!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links