Defensive Carry banner

(A rant) I am SO MAD!!

6K views 69 replies 43 participants last post by  21bubba 
#1 ·
Okay,
anytime we decide to start a thread about taurus's having all these problems (and i jumped in too), im going to bring up how my sig p220 is the BIGGEST PIECE OF CRAP.
GRRR. Its not CPO or new so I have no warranty. Sig offered me options, all of which cost about 100 bucks or more and I have to lose my gun for 4 weeks.
IM SO MAD. I took it into were I bought it and had the gunsmith look at it, told me to send it to Sig. Called sig and guy at sig CS said what I said ^^^ up there.
Why did I ever sell my beretta? I never had problems with anything like i have with this expensive and highly reputable turd.
This is it. I got a lemon. Im so mad.
Seriously thinking about taking this gun that has problems and selling it and buying my Beretta 96 back from my step dad for $300 (3/mags 3 holsters, nightsites, ammo):aargh4::aargh4::mad::mad::mad:

#4 ·
One man's piece of crap is another man's treasure. It depends on how you define crap.

My recommendation is have Sig repair it and then sell it. You'll never be satified with it now, and I doubt anyone will offer much for it "as is." Yeah, it will cost you some time and money, but chalk it up as a bad experience, a lesson learned, and move on. Bitterness will eat you up.

#5 ·
You gotta trust your gun. I concur with OldVet; fix it/sell it. I'm not a Sig fan, but I wouldn't go hating them over a bad apple either.

I guess I always expect trouble with a new purchase, and am often pleasantly surprised when I can just put it into rotation. I'll be putting a new off-brand 1911 through it's paces next week. If it's a poo-gun, I'll use it as an opportunity to hone my gunsmithing skills (lack thereof).

#6 ·
Echoing paul34's comment, what exactly is the problem with the 220? I can't remember anyone ever calling a full-sized Sig "the biggest piece of crap" before, so I'm really curious what the problem is. There is a host of Sig owners here, lots of 220 owners, and I would venture that the collective experience with them is on the highly positive side. However, no matter what the product or brand there are always lemons out there.

Give us a detailed description of what the gun's problem is, and how you've tried to remedy it so far... there might be some helpful advice available from the members here.

#9 ·
If you're not happy with it, it is a piece of crap, and you can't trust it, then you wouldn't miss it for 4 weeks either. When you get it back, you just might think differently about it. If not, then sell it.

#10 ·
What's the problem? This might very well be something you can fix yourself. If not, I wouldn't consider putting $100 into something that costs $800 to be a huge issue.

#11 ·
you bought a used gun with no warranty and maybe dont know the history...buyer beware...you can stew over it or try to correct the problem...correction is a positive move...stewing is childish...make a decision...and it wouldnt be a bad idea to let us know what the actual problem is....

#13 ·
Its not CPO or new so I have no warranty.
Three questions:

1. What makes it a "turd" and a "lemon"? What's happening with it? Are you sure it's the gun's design or initial failure to have operated at all that's the problem, or has the problem been induced somewhere down the line after having been abused in some way? (Meaning, do you know the history of the gun, specifically.)

2. SIG doesn't stand behind the product, disclaiming all warranties after the second sale?

3. The only solution you'd be happy with is full replacement, something that wouldn't leave you "without a gun" for four weeks (despite the gun not working anyway)?

#28 ·
Three questions:

1. What makes it a "turd" and a "lemon"? What's happening with it?
CCW9mm:

Go back in the forum and search for the thread "P220 Problems". He describes in depth in that thread what is going on.

The gun functions perfectly fine with any ammo with just 7 rounds in the magazines. It also functions absolutely fine with 8 rounds of 230 gr hardball in the magazines.

However, if he loads the gun with 8 rounds of a real short Starfire Hollowpoint load, the bullet nose dives and fails to feed when he tries to chamber the first round.

The gun is obviously not a "lemon", as he said that it was a law enforcement trade in. It clearly has had some use, though.

#14 ·
For three hundred dollars I'd pick up a used revolver and send the Pistol to Sig for repairs... Then you'd have a solid BUG to your Sig in the end.

Sorry to hear about your problems with your Sig. Truth is, most all manufactures put out a few bad ones here and there... Good luck with it; I've never really had any problems with my guns so I can't speak for anyones customer service, pros or cons.

:bier:

#18 ·
A carry gun should be a loved and trusted piece of hardware. Hardware, replaceable hardware. Wouldn't it be great if all our relationships were this fixable?
^ This

More than likely, even if you send it off to Sig and they fix it, this issue will still be in the back of your mind from now on. You have to be able to trust your carry piece, and if you cannot, find another one. Piece of mind does not have to cost a fortune: as others have stated, pick up a good revolver (S&W has a good rebate program right now on their .38 snubs). In the meantime, send this one off to mother for repair, and then trade it in on something you will feel comfortable with.

#25 ·
You could always get rid of the Sig and replace it with a Taurus. That is what I carry and haven't have a lick of trouble out of either of them. Besides their warranty is forever regardless of how many owners.

:rofl::haha::rofl::haha::rofl::haha::rofl::haha::rofl:

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

It is a tool, all tools can or will break at some time. Find something to carry in the meantime, send it to Sig and when it comes back check it out, and decide then whether you can trust it again or not.

Good luck.

#26 ·
I'm one of the flawless Taurus owners (wow, it happens). They have a lifetime warranty that goes with the gun regardless of owner. I would have thought Sig would have better service. I've seen some negative posts lately about Sig CS. I can't speak to either as I have no experience with them. I say send it in, get it fixed, sell it, and get something else. About all you can do, really. It really inhales with great force...hope it works out.

Everyone does need a snub revolver...Ruger SP101 and S&W 442 are both great. Revolvers are about as simple and reliable as it gets.

#27 · (Edited by Moderator)
Seriously thinking about taking this gun that has problems and selling it
Let's stand back a little and analyze what you are saying here.

You've indicated in your earlier thread about your "P220 problems" that you were so upset that someone sold you a used gun with issues. Yet, you now say that you are going to turn around, and do the very same thing to someone else?

#30 ·
So all this is over the weapon not feeding with a certain brand of HP ammo or with mags loaded to capacity with HP but it works fine with ball?

New mags seem in order and don't use that brand of HP ammo. I have owned guns that did not like a certain brand of ammo. Anyone remember the Speer Flying Ashtray .45 ACP round? Many a gun was sent off for mods in order to fire this type ammo or dumped all together because the pistol would simply not work with it. I picked up a very nice Plaxco .45 because the owner claimed it was a lemon, he saw me weeks later carrying the gun and stated "Oh you must have sent it off for repairs" my reply was "No changed brands of ammo" the look on his face was priceless.

#38 ·
Anyone remember the Speer Flying Ashtray .45 ACP round? Many a gun was sent off for mods in order to fire this type ammo or dumped all together because the pistol would simply not work with it.
Yes, I definitely remember that load. It used to be considered one of the most effective .45 ACP self-defense loads on the market. It received endorsements from a number of prominent gun writers.

However, the bullet design was extremely short. I think that the reason why it never became more widely popular was due to these feeding issues it had that you mention.

The same thing may well be true of this Starfire load, as it also has a short length, and has also never developed that much of a following.

Massad Ayoob was so upset when Speer discontinued making the "Flying Ashtray" in 2000, that he even wrote an obituary for the ammo in Gun Magazine. You can read it here:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_9_46/ai_64259193/

Here is a photo of what the round looked like:

#31 ·
Every make and model of firearm can have a lemon somewhere in its lineup. If it's mechanical, in can have a problem. I've seen $2500 guns come back to a gun shop for 'fixin' by an angry customer who can't believe his custom gun has something wrong with it.
That said, I do believe that most mechanical problems can be fixed...hang in there.
Even Glocks, that's right, I said EVEN a Glock can have a problem in every 20 million guns produced.:rolleyes:...I'm just sayin'

#32 ·
Seems that the problem is....he is having a problem, saying what the problem is...:smile:

This 220 is only a problem it you're on the wrong end of it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.