Let's Talk 45acp!

This is a discussion on Let's Talk 45acp! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MichSteve I want a 45acp, there are 2 categories 1911's and Polymer (Glock, M&P, XD, Kahr). Maybe there are more categories if ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk 45acp!

Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    I want a 45acp, there are 2 categories 1911's and Polymer (Glock, M&P, XD, Kahr). Maybe there are more categories if so explain, any help would be appreciated.

For all around carry and range gun what do you have and why did you pick the 45acp that have?
    I'm not exactly a novice in the 45ACP pistols. I've had both, the GI issue 1911, the post-market 1911A1, and the Glocks. I simply love the 1911A1 mil spec pistols. My tastes are not expensive....just functional. Had a Norinco 1911A1 for a few years that I customized. Truth be known....I should have left it alone. Closest thing to my previous military issue Colt. The Glocks that have gone through my hands (G21 and G30), I've carried them both, and for me, they seemed to be an every now and then deployment depending on circumstances. Special needs don't actually register in my mind....Ive got to have something I can wake up and say (this is something I'm going to carry today), and with no thoughts as to circumstances. I ended up falling away from the Glocks in 45acp with full intentions of getting back into a full size 1911A1. Since I like my 1911 pistols in the original design of single action and thumb safety, my search ultimately landed me into a SIG P220 SAO, and I'll never look back. I love the 45ACP for what it is. I've pretty much got to have at least one in the stable. Single stack is good enough for me. Heck....that's what the government told me I should have, and it's what I depended on to save my life in harm's way for years. Now that I'm a civilian, I can choose what's best for me. Hand me any mil-spec 1911A1 and I'd be happy. My P220 SAO fulfills my needs today.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    I have had my S&W CS45 for several years now. It's my favorite CCW. Only downside for some folks is it only holds 6+1 but doesn't bother me.

It's in my front right pocket as I type this and has been there all day. Some of my pants pockets won't work for it - then I carry it in either a Fobus paddle or an Uncle Mike's Soft IWB.

http://www.jddefense.com/product.htm

http://home.earthlink.net/~murph864/rev/cs45.html

I can't find it on S&W's website anymore but if you look around you can still find them.

Also - with a steady hand it's almost a tack driver at normal CC distances (17 yards or closer for me).
    Last edited by ArmyCop; October 16th, 2010 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Added information
    For God, Family and Country!

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    I have had my S&W CS45 for several years now. It's my favorite CCW. Only downside for some folks is it only holds 6+1 but doesn't bother me.

It's in my front right pocket as I type this and has been there all day. Some of my pants pockets won't work for it - then I carry it in either a Fobus paddle or an Uncle Mike's Soft IWB.

http://www.jddefense.com/product.htm

http://home.earthlink.net/~murph864/rev/cs45.html

I can't find it on S&W's website anymore but if you look around you can still find them.

Also - with a steady hand it's almost a tack driver at normal CC distances (17 yards or closer for me).
    Both of our guns are underrated .45s. They may be low cost but still of good quality and S&W itself still has great customer service. Our accuracy is also around that distance, like you mentioned. Not much difference between ours as mine has only a 7+1 rd. capacity. Your 6 rd. mags can also be used with my 457. You can still order accessories/extra mags for your gun if it is no longer in production. I was able to order more mags for my S&W Model 457 after they stopped production of it last year. Despite that, it is still my secondary home defense pistol and my warm weather concealed carry pistol.
    Last edited by Jason Storm; October 17th, 2010 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I like .45 ACPs and have about 10 of them, including 1911s, polymer and Sigs. They all have pros and cons, but for an all around carry and range gun I tend to favor either an H&K or a Sig.

I use 1911s at the range but not for carry because I don't like to use a manual safety. I prefer trigger only to avoid the risk of forgetting to remove the safety under stress. I have also noticed that 1911s have a tendency to jam more frequently than H&Ks or Sigs.

The H&K .45s in polymer are sturdy guns that work reliably and seem as accurate to me as the typical 1911. They have higher capacity and lighter weight than a standard steel 1911.

The Sig .45s I have are the full size P220 and the reduced size P245. They have 8 or 6 round magazines and are outstanding in the reliability and accuracy categories.

You Sir, are Jack Bauer!
    FW21

My choice of .45acp carry is narrowed to only two platforms. I only carry the Glock 36 or the 1911 in .45acp. I haved decided that the Glock 36 is the fishing and camping gun and the 1911's are casual / dress carry. There isn't another .45acp platform made that suits me better than these two.

My carry guns in .45acp are:
    Colt Combat Commander
    Dan Wesson CCO
    Colt Officers ACP LW stainless
    Colt Officers ACP blued
    Kimber ProCrimson Carry
    Glock 36

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    I want a 45acp, there are 2 categories 1911's and Polymer (Glock, M&P, XD, Kahr). Maybe there are more categories if so explain, any help would be appreciated.
    You forgot to include the popular P220 series guns from Sig Sauer, which do not fit into either of these categories. They are available in 3 sizes: compact, carry, and full size. The compact model is fairly small, and is about as easy to conceal as an officer's model 1911 pistol. It has a DA/SA trigger system, so it can be safely carried with the safety off, and still be ready to fire, unlike the 1911 pistols.

For more info, see:

http://www.sigsauer.com/products/sho...x?categoryid=1

Quote Originally Posted by VAguy View Post
    woa! The business end of that Kahr... looks a little too close to the business of you!
    COTEP member and 1911Forum reject

I carry the G30 SF myself. I like it because I've never had a problem with it, it's accurate, easy to maintain and get replacement parts if needed. I also like it because it holds 10+1 and I can use the G21 13 round mags for reloads. In this day and age of multiple assailants it's better to be able to stay in the fight longer before you run and have to manipulate your weapon. I also like the fact that there are no manual safties to have to try to remember to hit when you're under stress and moving off of the X. I read this signature line on another forum and if you think about it it makes sense "If shot placement is King, then capacity is Prime Minister." I'm a skinny guy and I don't have any problem concealing the width of this pistol. I also like the weight, I can wear it for 10-12 hours at a time and never notice it's there.

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    I have a G30. Great shooter and comfy to carry. It is easier to carry my 19 or 27, but the 30 has been toted all day w/ no issues. 10+1 capacity is nothing to sneeze at. Plus I carry a spare 13 round 21 mag. I shot my 30 right after shooting my 19 the other day. After loading my 19 mags, when I got to loading the 30 mags I said to myself, "Damn, these rounds are big." LOL. But I feel confident that either will stop a threat. 124 +p Speer GDs in the 19 and 230 Speer GDs in the 30.
    What he said above. I have a G30sf and it just fits right inm y hand and is accurate as it can be. (Maybe; as accurate as I can be is more correct). I am starting to carry it more often than my Kahr CW9 or Glock 19 as of late. I love that G30 in my RM Low Rider IWB Holster or my new Lobo Pancake for OWB.

Quote Originally Posted by YFZsandrider View Post
    woa! The business end of that Kahr... looks a little too close to the business of you!
    You have to trust your gun and your handling techniques (holstering and unholstering) to carry in appendix position.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I'm planning on purchasing a 45 ACP in the next 2 or 3 months as my home defense & nightstand handgun. I'm debating between a Kimber 1911 Gold Match Stainless II, S&W 1911, Sig Sauer P220, Springfield XDM, Beretta Px4 Storm or a Glock 36F. I really like the look and feel of a 1911 pistol, but I think that the extra ammo, weight and ergonomics of a polymer pistol are outstanding.

My concealed carry weapons are Walther P99 9mm, Heckler & Koch USP Compact 40 S&W and S&W 442 38+P (BUG). Therefore, I want a 45 ACP pistol to complement my Mossberg 590A1 in case my castle is breached and I need to shoot my way out of danger to protect my family.

Would you guys recommend a 1911 or a polymer 45?
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by YFZsandrider View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    You have to trust your gun and your handling techniques (holstering and unholstering) to carry in appendix position.
    I sometimes carry a Kimber Ultra 1911 or Glock 27 in that same location using a clip on Kydex holster. No worries about printing when leaning forward, sitting on a stool, ect...
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

I know I am going to get roasted, but here goes.
    Last year while shopping for a new gun, I walked into my LGS with the approval to buy whatever I wanted from the boss(wife). While trying the Glocks and all, the one that fit my hand the best and felt the best was a Taurus PT745. So I bought it. It handles whatever I feed it, I get a 3 inch circle at 10 yards and it is very easy to conceal. I have put about 600 rounds of different brands through it with no jams, misfeeds ftf's etc. No problems at all. I carry this every day in my Supertuck and forget it's there. That's my 45 story so let the Taurus bashing begin.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    I'm planning on purchasing a 45 ACP in the next 2 or 3 months as my home defense & nightstand handgun. I'm debating between a Kimber 1911 Gold Match Stainless II, S&W 1911, Sig Sauer P220, Springfield XDM, Beretta Px4 Storm or a Glock 36F. I really like the look and feel of a 1911 pistol, but I think that the extra ammo, weight and ergonomics of a polymer pistol are outstanding.

My concealed carry weapons are Walther P99 9mm, Heckler & Koch USP Compact 40 S&W and S&W 442 38+P (BUG). Therefore, I want a 45 ACP pistol to complement my Mossberg 590A1 in case my castle is breached and I need to shoot my way out of danger to protect my family.

Would you guys recommend a 1911 or a polymer 45?
    If your purchasing a .45 strictly for home defense/night stand duty I wouldn't recommend the G36. Why limit your self on capacity when size isn't a factor? Personally I would not select a 1911 for a night stand pistol even though I know there are TONS of people that do. For me, I want the most simple to operate gun for my nightstand. When I wake up in the middle of the night half a asleep and scared out of my mind I don't want to have to remember to flick off a safety and I think the very short trigger of the 1911 could be a liability. So, all that being said I would probably go with the XDM. I don't know much about the Px4 other then I think they are butt ugly.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by tqu9047 View Post
    I know I am going to get roasted, but here goes.
    Last year while shopping for a new gun, I walked into my LGS with the approval to buy whatever I wanted from the boss(wife). While trying the Glocks and all, the one that fit my hand the best and felt the best was a Taurus PT745. So I bought it. It handles whatever I feed it, I get a 3 inch circle at 10 yards and it is very easy to conceal. I have put about 600 rounds of different brands through it with no jams, misfeeds ftf's etc. No problems at all. I carry this every day in my Supertuck and forget it's there. That's my 45 story so let the Taurus bashing begin.

Tim
    I had a PT145 which is the double stack version of the 745 (same size though if I remember correctly) and I LOVED that gun (when it ran). 11 rounds of .45 in a small/light package. Good trigger and scary easy to shoot accurate. Much like my M&P the 145 was very shootable. The only reason I don't still have it is because Taurus couldn't get the magazine issues solved. If Taurus had a 30 day refund policy I would buy another one in a heartbeat.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links