Let's Talk 45acp!

This is a discussion on Let's Talk 45acp! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have 2 RIA Tacticals (FS & CS) 1911 and a XD Service in .45 ACP. These cover the single/double stack issue for me....

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk 45acp!

I have 2 RIA Tacticals (FS & CS) 1911 and a XD Service in .45 ACP. These cover the single/double stack issue for me.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    M&P
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

I mostly carry an S&W model 457. The Smith has never failed to fire, and eats anything I feed it, including mixed magazines. I.E. ball mixed with hollow points, as well as two different weights (215 grn and 230grn) My other carry .45ACP is a Taurus PT 1911. It had some issues with the gun locking up so the trigger could not be pulled. I had the safety locking hammer replaced with a Wilson combat hammer and sear and haven't had any further problems in several hundred rounds since the replacement.

This is all you need. The Glock30SF. 10+1 of whatever you like. About 33.86 ounces loaded, 4.75 inches tall, 6.77 inches long and 1.27 inches wide.

Any other questions?
    Attached Images
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    While I own both a Springer 1911 and an XD .45 , I have varied tastes

So pardon me but you FORGOT to include SIGS !!

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    If your purchasing a .45 strictly for home defense/night stand duty I wouldn't recommend the G36. Why limit your self on capacity when size isn't a factor? Personally I would not select a 1911 for a night stand pistol even though I know there are TONS of people that do. For me, I want the most simple to operate gun for my nightstand. When I wake up in the middle of the night half a asleep and scared out of my mind I don't want to have to remember to flick off a safety and I think the very short trigger of the 1911 could be a liability. So, all that being said I would probably go with the XDM. I don't know much about the Px4 other then I think they are butt ugly.
    Thanks for your comment! I mistakenly put the Glock 36SF when I actually meant the Glock 21 (full size 45). Nonetheless, I totally agree with your comment and I'm debating between the Springfield XDM and the Beretta Px4 Storm. Anyone currently owns both or has tried both? I do like the aesthetics and ergonomics of the Px4 but I like the extra mag capacity of the XDM (13 rounds in XDM vs 10 rounds in Px4).
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    The 1911 platform is the most time tested and reliable. It is simple to customize and work on. Parts are plentiful and easy to come by. Even the most unreliable 1911 can be made into a rapid firing tack driver with a few simple tools, modifications and ocassionally some parts. Anyone can learn to strip a 1911 down to the bare frame and reassemble it. It's easy to clean and maintain.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    The 1911 platform is the most time tested and reliable. It is simple to customize and work on. Parts are plentiful and easy to come by. Even the most unreliable 1911 can be made into a rapid firing tack driver with a few simple tools, modifications and ocassionally some parts. Anyone can learn to strip a 1911 down to the bare frame and reassemble it. It's easy to clean and maintain.
    I agree with everything you stated expect for the 1911 being the most reliable.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Glock 30. Why? Because you can carry it concealed in the stock configuration of 10+1 and you can carry 13 round glock 21 mags as backups. Also magpul makes an extension for 30 round mags out of G21 mags and scherer makes 25 round mags. It gives you more versatility.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cop 1 View Post
    Glock G36. Slim/ lightweight/ more accurate than me/ handles all loadings manageably. Had grip reduction done. For about $600 I have a custom fit ultra reliable powerhouse. 6+1 capacity but if that doesn't do it I better get my 870 or 556.
    Your G36 looks great but 600 for a grip reduction?! Ok, now I don't feel so bad for spending more than that on custom work for my snub. Man, this hobby can really make some of us do some pretty wild things. As it is, I just sent mine off to Smith' for phase two of the silly (I was bored, so I did it) project.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I like .45 ACPs and have about 10 of them, including 1911s, polymer and Sigs. They all have pros and cons, but for an all around carry and range gun I tend to favor either an H&K or a Sig.

I use 1911s at the range but not for carry because I don't like to use a manual safety. I prefer trigger only to avoid the risk of forgetting to remove the safety under stress. I have also noticed that 1911s have a tendency to jam more frequently than H&Ks or Sigs.

The H&K .45s in polymer are sturdy guns that work reliably and seem as accurate to me as the typical 1911. They have higher capacity and lighter weight than a standard steel 1911.

The Sig .45s I have are the full size P220 and the reduced size P245. They have 8 or 6 round magazines and are outstanding in the reliability and accuracy categories.

I also have a USP (all blued=Variant I) since 1994 but it is in .40 S&W. There were no .45 ACP for the USP back in 1994 and I was still wet in the ears when it came to shooting then.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    My concealed carry weapons are Walther P99 9mm, Heckler & Koch USP Compact 40 S&W and S&W 442 38+P (BUG)

Would you guys recommend a 1911 or a polymer 45?
    Since you seem to like DA/SA action pistols, I would say stick with that type of handgun.

The new tactical Beretta PX4 Storm Special Duty in .45 with its stainless tactical barrel and high cap magazine would make an outstanding home defense gun. The PX4 Storm has outstanding DA/SA trigger pulls on it. Better than what my HK USP has.

Another option is the huge FN 45 pistol, with its 14 + 1 round capacity:

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tqu9047 View Post
    I know I am going to get roasted, but here goes.
    Last year while shopping for a new gun, I walked into my LGS with the approval to buy whatever I wanted from the boss(wife). While trying the Glocks and all, the one that fit my hand the best and felt the best was a Taurus PT745. So I bought it. It handles whatever I feed it, I get a 3 inch circle at 10 yards and it is very easy to conceal. I have put about 600 rounds of different brands through it with no jams, misfeeds ftf's etc. No problems at all. I carry this every day in my Supertuck and forget it's there. That's my 45 story so let the Taurus bashing begin.

Tim
    No Taurus bashing from me. Never had any problems with the Taurus .38 snubby I had - or the PT145 I've owned.
    For God, Family and Country!

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Your G36 looks great but 600 for a grip reduction?! Ok, now I don't feel so bad for spending more than that on custom work for my snub. Man, this hobby can really make some of us do some pretty wild things. As it is, I just sent mine off to Smith' for phase two of the silly (I was bored, so I did it) project.
    I think he was saying it cost him $600 for the gun and the grip reduction.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

The 3 guns I carry the most are all .45's. On duty I carry a Springfield full size Loaded in stainless(better weather resistance in open carry). Off duty it is either a identical Springer to my duty gun(except in parkerized finish-less "flash" if accidentally exposed) or a G36(no problems ever out of it, accuracy best out of box of anything I've owned). Thing is, find one you like and works FOR YOU, not someone else's ideal carry gun, YOURS.
    Then, buy lots of ammo and practice, practice, practice! Oh, and one more thing, CARRY IT! All the practice, all the research to find the right one, all goes down the drain if you don't have it when you need it to protect yourself or your family.....

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links