Let's Talk 45acp!

This is a discussion on Let's Talk 45acp! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; XD .45 service and a Star PD....

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk 45acp!

XD .45 service and a Star PD.

2. Remove Ads

I went 45acp because I like the round and live in California where we have a mag limit of 10 rounds, I thought I might as well make them as big as possible. Also, we all have our favorite carry ammo, but usually have ball range ammo. I figure, if I had to use Ball to protect the home-stead, my range ammo is better suited to do that in 45acp.

I have had most of the guns you are considering; XD45c, Glock 38, 36 (shot plenty of Glock 30's), 1911 commander, SIG's, you name it.
    I don't like a grip I can't get my whole hand on without a mag in place = bye bye Glock 36. The mag release and take down lever on the XD were right were my forward thumbs landed = bye bye XD. 1911's were heavy for the capacity and had random issues = bye bye 1911.

My two carry guns right now are both Kahrs, P45 and PM9. They are slim and light for comfortable carry, and I carry them more consistently because of it. I prefer single stack mags as they are thinner and easier to carry (so I do).

I would have considered an M&P45c and the HK45c but they are not on the approved list.

I say try as many as you can, buy the one that fits you, and you shoot well.

Quote Originally Posted by YFZsandrider View Post
    woa! The business end of that Kahr... looks a little too close to the business of you!
    Ha ha, thanks for the concern, but it won't go off unless I pull the trigger and the High Noon Mr Softy holster in which it rides has very good trigger coverage.

Here they are:

Hard to argue with a lightweight 1911, like a commander size with alloy frame. But give the M&P .45 a look. I recently got a chance to play around with one. Full size grip, but slim, with a 4 inch barrel. Excellent balance. Sort of like a commander 1911, but more capacity.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com
    Suarez International Instructor

I have a Beretta Px4 storm in 45 apc and love it, it is a single stack alright but if you hit what you shoot at with a 45 it will stop. I carried a 45 in the 60's for uncle sam and things stop real quick and with big holes.

My everyday carry is a Para Warthog. Lots of firepower in a small package, 10 + 1 and a spare 13 round mag. XS Big Dot night sights and Hogue grips.
    Attached Images

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    I'm planning on purchasing a 45 ACP in the next 2 or 3 months as my home defense & nightstand handgun. I'm debating between a Kimber 1911 Gold Match Stainless II, S&W 1911, Sig Sauer P220, Springfield XDM, Beretta Px4 Storm or a Glock 36F. I really like the look and feel of a 1911 pistol, but I think that the extra ammo, weight and ergonomics of a polymer pistol are outstanding.

My concealed carry weapons are Walther P99 9mm, Heckler & Koch USP Compact 40 S&W and S&W 442 38+P (BUG). Therefore, I want a 45 ACP pistol to complement my Mossberg 590A1 in case my castle is breached and I need to shoot my way out of danger to protect my family.

Would you guys recommend a 1911 or a polymer 45?
    I think any of the 2 would do just fine as you can never go wrong with any of them. I have a full-size USP .40 myself and it is my main home defense gun as well as my cold weather conceal carry gun. I see you are from Germany. So you can carry over there? I heard it has strict gun laws over there but they sure do make fine guns, especially from H&K. And, not judging your country's gun laws, I just want to get educated in every country's gun control laws.

tea
    One Kimber SS Ultra Raptor II and a Springfield Armory 1911 A-1. Carry 2 extra mags with each filled with Speer Gold Dot 230gr JHP.
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM
    "If you seek peace prepare for war"

VIP Member
    Well, I have 1911s, SIG P-220s and a Glock 36. The only thing I can agree on is .45ACP! I keep going from one to another and like the 1911 the best but dang, I do carry the Glock a lot!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I am looking at the Kahr P45 or PM45 for my next gun, I will carry it and shoot it 200 rounds per month or so. The M&P45c is a nice gun I suppose it will be in the running also.

Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    Maybe there are more categories if so explain, any help would be appreciated.
    Sigs....
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by msb45 View Post
    1911, bottom line it is the most accurate gun I shoot. If you have to defend yourself you want to hit your target. See if you can borrow or rent some guns. Pick which one you shoot best. 1911s are heavier, but to me that adds to controlibility. YMMV

Actually most firearms are more accurate than their shooter especially for SD. the real bottom line is whether or not your weapon gpes bang repeatedly.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

reliable+accurate+powerful+sexy=1911.I went from a G21 to a SA 1911,and there isnt comparing how much better 1911s feel.

Quote Originally Posted by LoadedPipes View Post
    Here's why I choose a 1911, guns are a very personal choice so none of these may matter to you at all but I'll share anyway.

1.Thin in single stack form, easier to carry IWB.
    2.Comfort with the platform. I like the grip and thumb safety simply because I've been using them all of my shooting life and without a thought I flip the safety off as I draw.
    3.Reliability, this is a funny one with 1911's but if you pick a good weapon, maintain it and learn to shoot it you won't have issues the number 1 cause of supposed "failures" I see with shooters using a 1911 comes from limp wristing *IMO*
    4.Customization, sure a guns a tool etc etc but.... glocks are ugly and I like to swap out grips and other parts of my 1911's if I feel like it
    5.Weight - somewhat opposite many of you I prefer heavy guns, I shoot alot and I want the recoil absorbed by the firearm and not my wrist.... plus we all know you can't pistol whip with polymer
    This is VERY well said.

The only thing that I would add is that you just can't get a great single action trigger pull from anything but a 1911.

Kev
    <><

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links