Let's Talk 45acp!

This is a discussion on Let's Talk 45acp! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I want a 45acp, there are 2 categories 1911's and Polymer (Glock, M&P, XD, Kahr). Maybe there are more categories if so explain, any help ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk 45acp!

Let's Talk 45acp!

I want a 45acp, there are 2 categories 1911's and Polymer (Glock, M&P, XD, Kahr). Maybe there are more categories if so explain, any help would be appreciated.

For all around carry and range gun what do you have and why did you pick the 45acp that have?

2. Remove Ads

5" RIA - plain jane, reliable, comfortable, comforting.
    FW21

Here's why I choose a 1911, guns are a very personal choice so none of these may matter to you at all but I'll share anyway.

1.Thin in single stack form, easier to carry IWB.
    2.Comfort with the platform. I like the grip and thumb safety simply because I've been using them all of my shooting life and without a thought I flip the safety off as I draw.
    3.Reliability, this is a funny one with 1911's but if you pick a good weapon, maintain it and learn to shoot it you won't have issues the number 1 cause of supposed "failures" I see with shooters using a 1911 comes from limp wristing *IMO*
    4.Customization, sure a guns a tool etc etc but.... glocks are ugly and I like to swap out grips and other parts of my 1911's if I feel like it
    5.Weight - somewhat opposite many of you I prefer heavy guns, I shoot alot and I want the recoil absorbed by the firearm and not my wrist.... plus we all know you can't pistol whip with polymer

Glock G36. Slim/ lightweight/ more accurate than me/ handles all loadings manageably. Had grip reduction done. For about $600 I have a custom fit ultra reliable powerhouse. 6+1 capacity but if that doesn't do it I better get my 870 or 556.
    Attached Images

I picked the M&P45c for a couple of reasons. First being the ergos. They are AMAZING. Second is the frame/slide size. The shorter than most grip aids in concealment but the 4 inch barrel provides not only a good sight radius but also a better ballistics then a 3 in barrel. If your not concerned about ergo's or width then I have head the glock 30 is a good choice. I have not personally shot one however all the accounts I have read have described it as a extremely soft shooting .45 and it has +2 capacity over the M&P45c.

As far as 1911's go I think they are fantastic guns but I am not personally a fan of manual safeties for carry guns. They do however have a fantastic trigger so s 1911 would probably serve a bit better in the range gun role then anything else.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

1911, bottom line it is the most accurate gun I shoot. If you have to defend yourself you want to hit your target. See if you can borrow or rent some guns. Pick which one you shoot best. 1911s are heavier, but to me that adds to controlibility. YMMV

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I picked the M&P45c for a couple of reasons. First being the ergos. They are AMAZING. Second is the frame/slide size. The shorter than most grip aids in concealment but the 4 inch barrel provides not only a good sight radius but also a better ballistics then a 3 in barrel. If your not concerned about ergo's or width then I have head the glock 30 is a good choice. I have not personally shot one however all the accounts I have read have described it as a extremely soft shooting .45 and it has +2 capacity over the M&P45c.

As far as 1911's go I think they are fantastic guns but I am not personally a fan of manual safeties for carry guns. They do however have a fantastic trigger so s 1911 would probably serve a bit better in the range gun role then anything else.
    I am with Rollo, get the M&P if it's a carry gun. I love my 1911, but the round capacity for the size cannot compare to my M&P.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoadedPipes View Post
    Here's why I choose a 1911, guns are a very personal choice so none of these may matter to you at all but I'll share anyway.

1.Thin in single stack form, easier to carry IWB.
    2.Comfort with the platform. I like the grip and thumb safety simply because I've been using them all of my shooting life and without a thought I flip the safety off as I draw.
    3.Reliability, this is a funny one with 1911's but if you pick a good weapon, maintain it and learn to shoot it you won't have issues the number 1 cause of supposed "failures" I see with shooters using a 1911 comes from limp wristing *IMO*
    4.Customization, sure a guns a tool etc etc but.... glocks are ugly and I like to swap out grips and other parts of my 1911's if I feel like it
    5.Weight - somewhat opposite many of you I prefer heavy guns, I shoot alot and I want the recoil absorbed by the firearm and not my wrist.... plus we all know you can't pistol whip with polymer
    Couldn’t have said it better, only have a few 1911s myself; Kimber Custom, Taurus 1911, Springfield Commander, Springfield Micro Compact, homebuilt Commander.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by cptsdr View Post
    5" RIA - plain jane, reliable, comfortable, comforting.
    ^^^ Same for me. I carry 230 gr JHPs.

Pic of mine:

DSC01424.jpg

This was my first 1911 and first .45, and I've had it a month or so. I've carried it constantly ever since (and I have 11 other handguns).

Why??? I like .45ACP. There's no magic caliber and placement is much more important, but hey, it is a large heavy bullet. It makes a big hole. It transfers a lot of energy without a huge risk of over-penetration. In a 1911, it doesn't have a ton of recoil either. The long barrel 1911 is easy to aim and point shoot (longer sight radius) and feels great in hand. You can conceal and carry a large and heavy weapon with the right gear. I carry this gun IWB in shorts and a t-shirt. 8+1 of .45 with two extra mags in my pocket...I feel covered. The single stack mags are so much easier to carry.

** I've been eye-balling the Springfield XDm tactical .45ACP. 13+1 capacity. It is a large poly gun. I have not held or shot one, but it is on my lshort list to check out.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I am a 1911 guy (I carried one for many years) but I now carry a Glock 30.I chose the Glock 30 because it holds more rounds,It weighs alot less and it never and I mean never jams on anything I feed it.The felt recoil is alot less than the 1911 also. Plus I have no safties to worry about when I draw the Glock.So that is why I carry my Glock 30 instead of any of my 1911's.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

H&K and Sig .45s

Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    I want a 45acp, there are 2 categories 1911's and Polymer (Glock, M&P, XD, Kahr). Maybe there are more categories if so explain, any help would be appreciated.

For all around carry and range gun what do you have and why did you pick the 45acp that have?
    I like .45 ACPs and have about 10 of them, including 1911s, polymer and Sigs. They all have pros and cons, but for an all around carry and range gun I tend to favor either an H&K or a Sig.

I use 1911s at the range but not for carry because I don't like to use a manual safety. I prefer trigger only to avoid the risk of forgetting to remove the safety under stress. I have also noticed that 1911s have a tendency to jam more frequently than H&Ks or Sigs.

The H&K .45s in polymer are sturdy guns that work reliably and seem as accurate to me as the typical 1911. They have higher capacity and lighter weight than a standard steel 1911.

The Sig .45s I have are the full size P220 and the reduced size P245. They have 8 or 6 round magazines and are outstanding in the reliability and accuracy categories.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Cop 1 View Post
    Glock G36. Slim/ lightweight/ more accurate than me/ handles all loadings manageably. Had grip reduction done. For about $600 I have a custom fit ultra reliable powerhouse. 6+1 capacity but if that doesn't do it I better get my 870 or 556.
    Another Glock-36 carry fan here...so I'll agree with Cop 1 on this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I picked the Springfield XD45 Compact. I love it, but I did have a trigger job done to make it perfect for me. Oh yeah, needed the Big Dots for my lousy eyes. They work great though.
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified
    SA XD45C, XD40sc (SA Combat Trigger Job, XS Big Dot Sights)

The #1 goal of police work is to go home at the end of your shift!

Two things: first, my user name is medicineball because once someone asked me why I shot a slow cartridge like the 45, and I replied that a medicine ball doesn't move very fast but I wouldn't want to get hit with one! All the old timers who used to use medicine balls laughed their heads off, and the nickname stuck. Happily, I've never been shot with a 45 or seen anyone shot with one, but if my goal is to stop someone, a medicine ball like the 45 would do it.

Second, like cop 1, I think the glock 36 is the top of the heap. No external safety, slim profile, utterly reliable. It's not as customizable as the other glocks due to less availability of aftermarket parts, but I'm not really into that anyway.

Kahr CW45

I chose the Kahr about 6 months ago and have been very happy with it. Simple to operate and a super smooth trigger.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links