Glock 23 gen 4? ...anyone??

This is a discussion on Glock 23 gen 4? ...anyone?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I picked up a G23 gen 4 today.... haven't been on the site for a while, so I did a search to see if anyone ...

Thread: Glock 23 gen 4? ...anyone??

Glock 23 gen 4? ...anyone??

I picked up a G23 gen 4 today.... haven't been on the site for a while, so I did a search to see if anyone has posted up any first hand experience with one of the new gen 4 models... didn't come up with anything!

Propably sounds a little crazy to some, but I sold my gen 3, to pick up the latest gen 4. The reason...... I love my glock! but I don't have the largest hands, so the grip size of it was always just large enough that the front strap of the grip felt thick and blocky. Now, the gen 4 is only slightly smaller in grip size.... some would say nearly unoticeable.... but for me, when held side by side, the difference was there! The gen 4 just feels that much better, and more natural in my hand.

The revised texture of the gen 4 is something that doesn't strike me as more, or less, desirable than the previous gen 3. I've heard plenty of complaints about it.... I guess I'm just indifferent to it. However, the reduced grip circumference, coupled with the larger, easier mag release... and my curiosity about the performance of the new recoil assembly led me to sell my gen 3, in favor of the latest and greatest(I hope).

I sort of regret selling the gen 3 first, as it would have made for an interesting comparison to shoot them side by side... but I had plenty of trigger time behind the older g23, that I think I can give an honest opinion about the differences, if any....

I'll post it up!
    COTEP member and 1911Forum reject

2. Remove Ads

I have the G19 gen 4, I really like it, soft recoil, good accuracy and the grip has perfect stippling with adjustable backstrap. I have fired 300 rounds so far flawless, I am getting comfortable with it, I have had a G23 gen3 and G22 gen3 so I have shot Glock's quite a bit, my son has a G27 and G30 that I have shot, I like them all.

Congratulations. I too regret selling my 17 and 26. I held a 4th gen 17 again the other day and the guy behind the counter didn't know which backstrap it had. To be honest I couldn't tell by holding it. So I asked him to take out the 3rd gen 17 so that I could compare. After laying them down next to one another I realized that the 4th had the smaller backstrap. It is very minimal IMO.

Sidenote: Guy behind the counter was a tool, he had no idea about 2nd, 3rd or 4th gen. C'mon dude, you should have SOME knowledge of certain handguns to work in a gunshop.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I almost bought a Gen 4 G22 but funds ran low for extra toys. I think the interchangeable backstraps are a good idea, found the G22 without adding the next larger size to fit me best. I have G30 and have held the G30SF and couldn't tell any significant difference. While I never had an issue with the Gen 3 grip surface, I guess some do, so the current production RTF will improve that. I did NOT like the RTF2 Glock had on the earlier G22s (with the chevroned slide).

I think the Gen 4 grip changes addresse some of the complaints people have about Glock grip fit, etc., and is an improvement, as is the reversable mag release to suit the needs of lefties. I'm sure there may have been a few issues when the Gen 4 first came out, but then don't most, if not all models?

I hope your range session turns out well!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

let us know how it shoots. i heard the recoil is much more manageable. i'll probably buy one in the future.
    got to texas as fast as i could...Fuhgeddaboudit!

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    Congratulations. I too regret selling my 17 and 26. I held a 4th gen 17 again the other day and the guy behind the counter didn't know which backstrap it had. To be honest I couldn't tell by holding it. So I asked him to take out the 3rd gen 17 so that I could compare. After laying them down next to one another I realized that the 4th had the smaller backstrap. It is very minimal IMO.

Sidenote: Guy behind the counter was a tool, he had no idea about 2nd, 3rd or 4th gen. C'mon dude, you should have SOME knowledge of certain handguns to work in a gunshop.
    They don' thave interchangeable backstraps... you only add on additional backstraps to increase the grip size. The gun that you held, most likely didn't have a backstrap on it. The gen 4 guns come with 2 backstraps, so you have 3 size options total.

Quote Originally Posted by YFZsandrider View Post
    They don' thave interchangeable backstraps... you only add on additional backstraps to increase the grip size. The gun that you held, most likely didn't have a backstrap on it. The gen 4 guns come with 2 backstraps, so you have 3 size options total.
    are you sure about that one buddy? I dont think they stack on...take out the pin and put another one on, like M&P/XD

I think the 4th generation G23 is limited right now. Just breaking out. I wouldn't expect too many first hand experiences with it for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by damien12g View Post
    are you sure about that one buddy? I dont think they stack on...take out the pin and put another one on, like M&P/XD
    considering that I have one sitting in my lap right now.... ya, I'm pretty sure about it

I'll post a few pics, in a bit, of the backstrap system... as well as a mini range report. Overall, I am extremely happy with the gen 4!

Nice weapon. Good choice.

I sold my LE Gen 2 G23 to buy a Gen4 and I havent looked back, the Gen 4 in .40 is close to perfect in my hands, dont get me wrong my Gen3 G19 is still number one but the Gen4 G23 finds itself in my holster a lot more than the old Gen 2 did.
    Gen 3 G19 ~ Gen 3 G19 OD ~ Gen 3 G34 ~ PT 738 ~ M&P 9mm ~ Ruger 22/45 4" bull barrel ~ Marlin 60~ PSA M4 Carbine ~

Links