Springfield XD's

This is a discussion on Springfield XD's within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; At present I own a Springer Loaded Micro Compact. Contemplating selling it and buying an XD model. I am sure I want a 4" barrel ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Springfield XD's

Springfield XD's

At present I own a Springer Loaded Micro Compact. Contemplating selling it and buying an XD model.

I am sure I want a 4" barrel model, but which one? Is the external safety a benefit or hindrance?

I have considered the Glock 30 or 36, but feel the XD is a better piece.

Thanks for the input.

2. Remove Ads

I have the XD 40 Service model and am happy with it. I don't think that the external safety is necessary myself. My next XD purchase will be an XDM 45.

Good Luck!

I bought a xd 9mm service model at the beginning of the year. I have put about 1000 rounds through it and have not had any malfunctions. Some people complain about the trigger, mine was not bad to begin with and has gotten better the more I use it. Others dislike the grip safety for various reasons...I am very fond of the grip safety. It is a little on the heavy side for an edc gun and I have a problem keeping the grip covered when moving around. I mainly keep mine in a fobus paddle holster for around the house use and the few times I open carry.

Overall, I would recommend an XD to anyone! I trust mine!
    1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

I fired the XD and found for my hand the bore axis was a bit to high for me. The one I fired had a heck of a muzzle flip on it in 45. I went with the Glock 36.
    IAFF 2623
    Everyone comes home!

I have an XD40sc and I love the gun. Very accurate and shootable for such a small handgun. I like it so much, my next will likely be the XDm tactical .45ACP. If they can make a small handgun that feels as nice and shoots as nice in .40, then I'm betting the large frame in .45 will be sweet.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

My mom and sister and I all carry XD9sc, and my 16 year old sister also likes them. My mom tried one that belonged to another person at her CCP class and she got hooked, my sister did a lot of reading about different options before she bought hers, and I got mine because it just "felt right" in my hands. Obviously we're quite fond of XD's - I'm takin hubby out to shoot mine, so who knows he might have one next!

The big Glock vs XD debate basically boils down to personal preference IMO. Whichever one feels right to you. As far as the grip safety, I don't see how it could possibly be a hindrance - if you're holding the gun to shoot it, you are good to go.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

I love both my XDs (45c,40sc). The XDs feel much better to me then any Glock. Also, having the combat trigger job done made them perfect and a better trigger than any Glock trigger job, IMHO.
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified
    SA XD45C, XD40sc (SA Combat Trigger Job, XS Big Dot Sights)

The #1 goal of police work is to go home at the end of your shift!

I have an XD45 tactical and a Glock 30sf. Love them both and carry them equally in rotation. The XD is a little heavier but still comfortable to carry IMO.
    G30SF XD45Tactical

I don't have either one, but I have had an XDsc 40 which to me felt too large and heavy for EDC. I couldn't imagine carrying an XD45. However I have looked at the Glock 30/36 models and if I were going to go with a 45 in a polymer gun, I would have to go with one of the Glocks. The 36 is a single stack 6+1 format and therefore would be much easier to carry than both the Glock 30 and the XD. I would say even the Glock 30 would carry better than an XD.

I also agree with another poster that the XD barrel axis seems a little high to me, resulting in more muzzle flip than necessary. However, that is not to say that I don't like the XD line of guns. They are accurate, and they feed reliably, but so are/do the Glocks. The XD is heavier tho.

That said, I havn't yet ventured into the 45ACP arena yet, but when I do, I can assure you it will most likely be a Glock 30/36 that I go with.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Thank you for all the great input. Think I'll zip on down to my local shop and fondle the XD's and Glock's and see what I come up with. Have a range close by that rents guns, I'll see if they have both Glocks and the XD.

Again thanks.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I have a XD40c as well as a XD9sc. I love them both but obviously the sc conceals better. I like the new 13-round flush mag for the 9sc as well!
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Might wanna go with the XD...........

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

When the wife and I were shopping for a service size pistol we tried different ones at a range. Both of us aimed and shot the XD's more naturally. I like not having the manual safety. It is one less think to deal with.

The 45 does more time in wife's nightstand because she shoots it well. I carry it occasionally OWB or in a Supertuck during cooler weather.

mrm
    The difference between the xd and Glock is merely personal preference and the feel of it in your hand, they are both good firearms, you just have to ask yourself do you want the external safety and if not go with Glock.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

VIP Member
    I own the subcompact .40 and I personally don't see any reason to want an external safety; I can honestly say I wouldn't want one on my subcompact.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links