Keltec guns and their CS

This is a discussion on Keltec guns and their CS within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After several thousand rounds through it, my wife's primary carry piece, a nine-year-old Kel-Tec P-32, began exhibiting failures to fire at the range. It started ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keltec guns and their CS

Keltec guns and their CS

After several thousand rounds through it, my wife's primary carry piece, a nine-year-old Kel-Tec P-32, began exhibiting failures to fire at the range. It started with one or two per 50-round session, then worsened to a couple per mag. It was no longer dependable for her to carry. This was over a period of about a couple weeks or so. Prior to this point, the fail to fire issues were with cheap ammo. This little gun is picky about ammo sometimes.

Well, I took it home and began to completely strip it. I loosened the firing pin retaining screw, turned the slide up, and the firing pin fell out - IN TWO PIECES. Yup, broken firing pin. The ends of both pieces were peened over where they had been hitting through who knows how many rounds - and STILL FIRING the rounds 90% of the time! This is one tough, reliable little gun!

I emailed Kel-Tec's Customer Service, gave them the serial number of the gun, told them the problem, and asked if this was a warranty issue. I asked them, whether it was or not, if they would send me a new firing pin for self-replacement. I told them if it wasn't under warranty that I'd be glad to pay for a new pin - let me know.

A few days later, I received an eMail reply informing me that the pin was, indeed, under warranty and they would be most happy to send me a new pin. Five days later, I received a small bubble envelope from Kel-Tec which contained a new firing pin and spring. It took about 10 minutes to install, and we're headed to the range this afternoon for testing.

People can say what they want about Kel-Tec, but my wife and I are happy as clams with that P-32. How many pocket semis would continue to function most of the time with a broken firing pin? How many companies would send a new firing pin to a private individual without the broken pin, or the whole gun, being returned to them as proof?

Both Kel-Tec and Kel-Tec's Customer Service get a BIG +100 from us!

2. Remove Ads

GM
    Good CS
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    KelTec has one of the best CS teams that I know of.Congrats
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Kel-tec makes a good gun at a fair price as has good customer service. Can't ask for much more than that.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Administrator
    I have nothing but good to say about KelTec. Their guns are not exactly top notch, but they dont pretend to be either. They identified a market, and went after it. I've heard and have experianced nothing but good things from them as a company as well.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    KT customer service is their biggest plus. Their handguns while generally well design and innovative are rough and there are good reasons they sell at the price point they do. They do certainly stand behind their products but they get far too many opportunities to do it, thats the problem.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I love hearing about a company that has good customer service. Gun or otherwise. Glad it worked out for you and it only makes me want a Kel-Tec that much more.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Good to hear! I'm a definitely a p3at fan, and I plan on purchasing a Sub2000 and Pf-9 to add to the family.

Let us know how it does at the range.

Good on Kel-Tec for standing behind their product.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I had problems with "Barkey" , my P11, at first that they (CS) took care of. Took six weeks but now he's good to go. He goes "BANG" every time and while not the most accurate, is a dream to conceal and has been my favorite carry piece. Started with an Uncle Mike's generic holster (Yuck!) and ended up with a Don Hume form-fitted job. You are right ~ Kel-Tec is hard to beat for the price.

PS: I think the firing pin problem is why KT advises against dry firing the weapon. I have some snap shells I use for indoor "practice".
    Yeah, My old CCW 9 MM is nicknamed "Barkey"
    New CCW LCP is "Elsie"
    and my 12 Ga S x S Coach gun is "Boomer"
    Wife's weapon is "Miss Pearl" (SP101 .357 w/mother of pearl inserts)
    We're old so we can get away with that.

I've had need of KelTec's customer service a couple times. It has always been first-rate. They are easy to deal with, knowledgeable, answer all questions, and in my instances managed quick turnaround times on the guns. Unlike some companies, KT stands firmly behind their product. It's good to see.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Good to know. I have never needed to use their CS for my PF9 (another good thing), but you never know.

KelTec has a great reputation for standing behind their firearms...friendly, quick service.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    KT customer service is their biggest plus. Their handguns while generally well design and innovative are rough and there are good reasons they sell at the price point they do. They do certainly stand behind their products but they get far too many opportunities to do it, thats the problem.
    I guess that's one way to look at it.

I never really expected a $600 or $700 gun for $259 out the door myself.

I'm real happy with my P-11 pistol kit. That's about the best description I can come up with. Out of the box it was rough. Real difficult to shoot and none too reliable.

A fluff and buff familiarized me with the works (and gave me a lot of confidence to work on other things).

Grip extensions and a Hogue slip on tamed the bite of the "Bonecracker".

The wider trigger and "White" trigger stop helped tame the HEAVY trigger pull... that and taking the gun apart repeatedly tends to break in the spring pretty quickly.

A couple of hours of sandpaper, a cold blue kit and a belt clip and I've got a carry gun that isn't concealed... it's pretty much invisible against anything but a metal detector or a bump frisk.

All in all, I really like my P-11... It's my primary... like my AK, it's no tack driver, but I don't like the odds for anybody who strays within it's range with bad intent... 12+1 124 grain PDX1 +P isn't a very warm welcome and there are 12 more where those came from.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrari View Post
    I guess that's one way to look at it.

I never really expected a $600 or $700 gun for $259 out the door myself.

I'm real happy with my P-11 pistol kit. That's about the best description I can come up with. Out of the box it was rough. Real difficult to shoot and none too reliable.

A fluff and buff familiarized me with the works (and gave me a lot of confidence to work on other things).

Grip extensions and a Hogue slip on tamed the bite of the "Bonecracker".

The wider trigger and "White" trigger stop helped tame the HEAVY trigger pull... that and taking the gun apart repeatedly tends to break in the spring pretty quickly.

A couple of hours of sandpaper, a cold blue kit and a belt clip and I've got a carry gun that isn't concealed... it's pretty much invisible against anything but a metal detector or a bump frisk.

All in all, I really like my P-11... It's my primary... like my AK, it's no tack driver, but I don't like the odds for anybody who strays within it's range with bad intent... 12+1 124 grain PDX1 +P isn't a very warm welcome and there are 12 more where those came from.
    If Kel tec would spend an additional 15 min. on each gun, basically doing an in house "fluff and buff" before the guns are shipped most of the roughness and issues with their handguns would be resolved before they get in the hands of the owners. If the price went up $25 per unit, so be it, you would get a more reliable, servicable and polished gun and not have to worry as much about using their world class customer service. I have many reliable bargin finds in my collection but I will not trust my life to a hangun that needs as much attention after the sale as most Kel Tec products........but again thats why they sell at the price point they do.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links