Why not more threads on the new Ruger SR40?

This is a discussion on Why not more threads on the new Ruger SR40? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With the popularity of the .40 S&W cartridge, I am surprised there are not several threads about the just released SR40. Maybe there are so ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

With the popularity of the .40 S&W cartridge, I am surprised there are not several threads about the just released SR40. Maybe there are so many choices now that the market is spread thin for all the manufacturers. I plan to go to a gun show next weekend and hope they have some SR40s there. Don't know that I'll buy one, but I am more interested in the SR now that it's available in the .40 caliber. I have handled the SR9s a few times, and the grip feels SO much better than my Glocks. I am a long time owner of multiple Glocks, but I admit they have the ergonomics of a 2X4.

I am also interested to hold a SR40 but i really want to fire one and see if it is really as good as their site says. It says it is a soft shooting .40 which is to say it has less recoil than a typical .40. I would be interested in it for that alone. But you are correct about the grip. I like it better than my Glocks too. And i love my Glocks.
    The SR .40 is thicker than a Glock 23/22 though. The Glock is 1.18 inch and the SR 40 is 1.27. Not much but something to consider.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Ruger's, other than the LCP & LCR, don't seem to be a popular choice for concealed carry around the forum it seems like. It's always sort of blown my mind, they're dependable, built like tanks, & economical, so why aren't they more popular as a CCW?

But in all honesty, this post is the first that I've even heard of the SR40.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I am also interested to hold a SR40 but i really want to fire one and see if it is really as good as their site says. It says it is a soft shooting .40 which is to say it has less recoil than a typical .40. I would be interested in it for that alone. But you are correct about the grip. I like it better than my Glocks too. And i love my Glocks.
    The SR .40 is thicker than a Glock 23/22 though. The Glock is 1.18 inch and the SR 40 is 1.27. Not much but something to consider.
    I'm sure the SR frame is no thicker than the Glock. The 1.27" measurement is taken across the ambi thumb safety, not the grip frame. When I handled the SR9 it felt smaller than any double column wonder 9 I had ever seen. The S&W M&P feels much better (more ergonomic) than the Glocks too, so for me it's a decision between the SRs and the M&Ps.

Haven't handled or shot the SR40, but have the SR9 and SR9C. Both shoot well. The SR9C seems to be a bit more prone to failures due to limp wristing than some of the other 9's from what I have seen with new shooters. Although this gun was brand new and the spring might have been a bit tighter than the other 9's that were being shot. When I shot it, there were no failures and it shot well.

I think that the 40 version would be a good option for those who want something with a safety and a different grip angle than the Glock or XD. I find the loaded chamber indicator a bit odd where it is placed, but hey that is a pretty minor thing considering all guns should be treated as if they were loaded anyway.

Oh and Katana, how in the world have you missed all the threads about the SP101. They are great carry guns.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Katana View Post
    Ruger's, other than the LCP & LCR, don't seem to be a popular choice for concealed carry around the forum it seems like. It's always sort of blown my mind, they're dependable, built like tanks, & economical, so why aren't they more popular as a CCW?

But in all honesty, this post is the first that I've even heard of the SR40.
    Yea, they were already in the gunshops when Ruger made the official announcement. You can go Gunblast.com and read Jeff's report with plenty of pics and a video.

I love my SR9c and am curious to see an SR40c when they are released.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat Creeker View Post
    Maybe there are so many choices now that the market is spread thin for all the manufacturers.
    I think that's pretty much the reason. Glock/SA/S&W seem to have a pretty good hold on the polymer .40/9mm market. Even though the Ruger is a bit cheaper I think the majority of people tend to just save up the extra 100.00 bucks and go for one of the aforementioned manufacturers. It's kind of like with pocket .380's now. When I see a new one announced I say "Oh...look... another pocket .380. How many of these things do we really need??"
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat Creeker View Post

I'm assuming what you mean here is why is there more interest in Glocks and M&P's than Rugers.

IMO most if not all of the blame rest at the feet of Bill Ruger. Well, maybe it doesn't rest at his feet since he is lying in repose somewhere but it does attach to him somehow. There was the infamous deal he made with the Clinton administration regarding magazine capacity. Then there was his absolute refusal to let anything with a remote relationship to the word "tactical" see the light of day. It's easy to understand why a bad taste lingers in the mouth of many gun types.

Fortunately it appears Mr. Ruger's demise has ushered in a new day in Southport. Exhibit A: SR9, SR9c, Mini 14 tactical, Mini 30 tactical, SR556, SR22, and now the SR40. Speaking for myself I'm excited about what they're doing.
    "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo. You fingered Sonny for the Barzini people."

I also love my SR9 and we are considering the SR40 for our next purchase but I haven't had the opportunity to fire one yet. Somebody must like them because our local gun shop keeps selling out! :)
    http://www.gunmerchantaccount.com
    Firearms Dealer Merchant Services

Cuz it's boooooooring.

Lots of posts where people carry the Ruger SP101, GP100, old speed six/security six, police six, and SR9c. Fair number of P series posts as well (P95, P89, etc.). Typically, the P series is a little large for CC, although I've pulled it off with no problem as have others. Carry my SP101 quite a bit, but rarely carry my old Police Service Six. Quite a few SR9c owners around, they shoot good (I've shot one). I'll be interested in checking out the SR40. I'm leaning more towards larger handguns Seems the longer barrel makes it more comfortable to carry IWB than the shorter ones. Might just have to check this new Ruger offering out.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I like Ruger's revolvers... but that semi auto has a lousy trigger. comfortable in the hand, but a lousy trigger!
    COTEP member and 1911Forum reject

They are pretty boring....Ruger did a really good job of stepping outside of the box visually and conceptually on the LCP and LCR. Their fullsize and compact autos all pretty much look the same whether it is the P series or the SR series. They may be built like tanks and work very well. Most people wont admit it, they want something that looks cool too. That is what most people pick on the Glocks about first...theyre UGLY. Sigs, HK, Glock they all have some sort of "thing" that makes them a favorite. Ruger just does not stand out in the competition, other than LCP and LCR.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Lots of posts where people carry the Ruger SP101, GP100, old speed six/security six, police six, and SR9c. Fair number of P series posts as well (P95, P89, etc.). Typically, the P series is a little large for CC, although I've pulled it off with no problem as have others...
    +1
    I have CC'd my P94-40S&W without much trouble and a friend regularly CC's his 45, can't remember if it's a P90 or 91. Where there's a will, there's a way.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links