Question for people with lasers >>>>>>>

This is a discussion on Question for people with lasers >>>>>>> within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 1. Which laser are you using ??? 2. What distances are you sighting your lasers at ??? Thanks for any experience/info you can share. God ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Question for people with lasers >>>>>>>

Thumbs up Question for people with lasers >>>>>>>

1. Which laser are you using ???

2. What distances are you sighting your lasers at ???

Thanks for any experience/info you can share. God Bless

2. Remove Ads

Crimson Trace on a Colt New Agent

10 yards

With the crimson trace sighted in at 10 yards, I have to aim about 6" left with the laser at 25 yards due to the slight offset from the barrel.

I would love one of those guide rod lasers if I could afford one.

Lasermax "Guide Rod" laser on an S&W 5903. No sighting in required, and it was less expensive than a Crimson Trace. Wish they made one for my 6906 (EDC).
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

G19 - Lasergrip (leaves the rail free for a light) - used mostly for home defense
    G26 and all 3 Ruger LCPs - Laserguard

I've also used the Lasermax guide rod laser, and the ArmaLaser, in the past. I prefer the Crimson Trace lasers, because they activate simply by gripping the gun.

I sight in at 7 yards.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

CTC LaserGrips on my wife's G26. Sighted in @ 10yds. Excellent in my book. I have an older model IT (Streamlight) M-6 tactical that I like mounted on my AR15 and sighted in @ 100yds, and transition to my P220 rail without making adjustments or plug it in on the Rem 870.

Glock 27 - Crimson Trace LaserGuard - 10yd
    Browning Hi-Power - Crimson Trace LaserGrip - 10yd
    There ya go........

Thanks for everyone's replies. One more question, I know most self defense scenarios are 7-10 yards even less; for those of you sighting your laser at anything greater than these distances how bright are your lasers at these distances ?? Can you even see them ??? Thanks again and God Bless

CT, g27, stock setting

Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    Thanks for everyone's replies. One more question, I know most self defense scenarios are 7-10 yards even less; for those of you sighting your laser at anything greater than these distances how bright are your lasers at these distances ?? Can you even see them ??? Thanks again and God Bless
    For my wife's G26 and the CTC LaserGrips, I pre-sighted them in at 10yds. They were close when we went to the range, but I did adjust it a bit. It's a red laser and very bright under certain conditions. When sighted in properly, your laser will or should point a bit low at typical self defense ranges in relation to your open sights. Under daylight or outside conditions, the typical red laser may not be visible depending on the background. The newer green lasers will work well under most any circumstance IMO. I'm currently testing one on my AR15 and it does rather well. Thing is, that I have to adjust or zero every once in a while more than likely due to the mount or quality of the product itself. The visibility of the green laser over the red laser is unparalleled in my opinion. Realize that my employment of the laser sight may extend to greater distances than the typical self defense scenario. Most times I don't rely on laser or other enhancements for my typical self defense armament. Just to be sure that you know.......battery operated devices can fail when you least expect. Today's technology may have enhanced the percentages per failure, but the possibility still exists.

We sighted in my wife's Crimson Trace on an LCR at an outdoor range last week. We were very surprised to find that it is quite visible at 25 yds in bright sunlight.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

CT for all my lasers....and all set at 10 yards...Glock 27, Ruger LCP, Kahr P380, S&W 340 & 438, Kimber Ultra Carry, KelTec P3AT.......
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I think I would not sight the laser at all. The difference between aim and impact at any useful range would be constant, then. If I zero the laser to, say, fifteen feet, I would have a radically shifting aim point for anything much past 30, I would think.
    Hakkaa päälle!

The following is a short article I wrote a number of years ago to help correct some misconceptions people have about laser sights. The sighting in numbers here are only examples.

To really understand a laser sight, one must first accept the fact that it is a “Line Of Sight” device, and as such, operates in exactly the same way as “Iron Sights”, or a “Telescopic Sight”.

The Telescopic Sight:
    By their construction, and the fact you must look through them, they are mounted (generally) on the top of the weapon. Also, there is a known distance between the centerline of the bore and the cross hairs (center of the objective lens) of the scope. For purposes of this discussion, let assume this distance is 1.5 inches, and the firearm is sighted in at 50 yards. When the bullet leaves the barrel, it is 1.5 inches BELOW the line of sight and is gaining altitude (in reference to the line of sight) and will climb 1.5 inches in the 50 yards. Past 50 yards, the bullet is still climbing until it reaches apogee and then it begins to fall. Depending on caliber, weight of the bullet, muzzle velocity etc, the bullet will once again, at some point well down range be zeroed in. Lets just say, in this case, it is at 150 yards. So in this case, the bullet/rifle/scope are zeroed in at 50 yards, and 150 yards. These are the ONLY two points where the line of sight “Cross Hairs” and the bullet coincide. The exact same applies to a laser, (mounted in the same position as the scope) or Iron sights. The difference with iron sights is that they are mounted considerably closer to the centerline of the bore. Also, if the iron sights are set to 50 yards, the second zero point will be different because of its decreased distance to the centerline of the bore.

Keeping the above in mind, we now introduce and compound the errors (as we see them) with the introduction of the Laser Sight. There are many systems on the market nowadays for mounting lasers on both rifles and handguns. Lets explore just a couple.

We have our laser mounted BELOW the bore centerline, either on a rail, or clamped etc. In this case, again there is a measured distance between the centerline of the bore and the laser. Again, lets assume this distance is 1.5 inches. When the bullet leaves the barrel, again assuming we are sighted in at 50 yards, the bullet is DESCENDING, and will descend 1.5 inches at 50 yards. THIS WILL BE THE ONLY DISTANCE THAT THE WEAPON WILL BE ZEROED. At ranges greater than 50 yards, the POI will be lower and lower.

Now, lets take a laser mounted below the centerline of the bore, and off to one side. LaserGrips come to mind on this one. Now the errors are compounded not only in Elevation, but Azimuth as well. Once sighted in at 50 yards, that will be the only point, both in elevation and azimuth where the POI and the laser meet.

On handguns, especially at self defense distances, a laser sight may well be worth the time and effort. But before deciding to lay out your hard earned cash, it is wise to have a basic understanding of just how they work, and their limitations.

I have a Kimber 1911 with LaserGrips. I have gone to great lengths to set the laser to parallel the iron sights. That way, I never have to worry about how the sighting may be different between the two. The laser is set, and treated as an iron sight. At self defense ranges, this will be good enough.

Chris

The Crimson Trace LG's come from the factory zeroed at 50 feet. I left them alone. I figured the POI and POA are close enough at SD distances that leaving them at 50 feet was satisfactory. I have them on a G30 and a Kimber TLE/RL

Thanks everyone !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links