Two part question..helping someone pick an inexpensive 45 acp - Page 2

Two part question..helping someone pick an inexpensive 45 acp

This is a discussion on Two part question..helping someone pick an inexpensive 45 acp within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Tauri ha I love the plural!!...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tauri ha I love the plural!!

Quote Originally Posted by skystud1 View Post
    You know I can't agree with you guys/gals more! The Taurus appears too good to be true with regard to its size and capacity. It's ergos look cool, but for $350 bucks what can you expect. The G30 is too big so the 36 might be an option. it's not a duty gun, so 7 rounds should suffice. As for the Kahr cw45, I saw one for 450 new. A tad longer grip, but same capacity. Decisions, decisions!! I will take a look at the Sig 250 as well.. There is something in the back of my mind that doesn't feel comfortable with a Taurus. Not saying they are bad, but I don't get the warm and fuzzies. Alos, I think it says a lot about a gun when holster makers rarely make a holster for it. Thanks for the suggestions!! Keep em coming!
    I might be wrong here but I think the PT145 and Glock 30 are almost the exact same physical dimensions. If your want to go SMALLER then the G30/PT145 then that opens up a couple of different options but your going to loose capacity. On the less expensive side of things your could look at a Bersa Thunder .45UC or a Kahr CW45. Glock 36 is another choice if you want to go a bit more expensive but capacity is only 6+1. I believe the Kahr and the Bersa are both 7+1.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I own a pt145 and have shot it alot and have yet to have anykind of failure with many different ammos from the dirt cheap to the good stuff its very easy to conceal and 10+1 is great in 45acp I like how it fits my hand while still being small i picked up a g36 and just didnt like how it felt..the pt145 is a reliable handgun that has given me no problems.. Now that said i have heard its a luck of the draw kinda deal where one might work perfect and the next wont be worth the box of ammo your trying to shoot..Mine works perfect i would highly recomend it to anyone... But as always a Glock is a Glock and they didnt get there reputation for nothing
    IGNORANT=NEEDS EDUCATION

STUPID=WELL YOU CANT FIX THEM ALL

Make sure he also realizes he is going to be spending more for .45 ACP ammo. I love my xd45c, but buying ammo is always painful.

He is odd. he will trust his life to a keltec P11 but not a Taurus.. Well, I wonder which is better quality...

The replies are all thoughtful and relevant, but let me toss this idea out there:

I don't want to "help" anyone buy anything they may need to rely on for their life or livelihood. That includes cars, schools, and especially firearms. What if you help your friend pick out a certain gun, and it turns out to be a lemon? Yes, that's technically not your problem, but it will come between you in the future. What if he actually needs it to save perhaps his wife's life, and it doesn't perform?

Same with a car. I suggested a couple makes and models to my adult daughter, but she picked her own. When the transmission died on her, I felt good I hadn't pushed her into a decision.

If you want to keep your friends, try not helping so much.

I've never had to send my keltec, but in my early shooting years i bought a taurus pt99, a 44mag, and a 9 shot 22lr revolver and have had to send them all back to taurus for a fix. No i only own the 22lr and bought a glock to replace the other two!
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

What I have said to friends and family who ask about anything like that is, "I purchased a XXX for reasons X, Y, and Z...."

If someone asked me about a ccw, I'd say, "I intially went with a Kimber, but had some reliability issues, so I decided to get a Glock, and I couldn't be happier. Those are my personal experiences. As always, YMMV."

That's as far as I'd go.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Guns by the Bull (Taurus) give people the horns far to often for me to even consider one. I woild look somewhere else to spend my hard earned gun money. I also suggest looking at the Kahr CW45. The CW series may be their "entry level" handguns but they are hard hard to beat for the money.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Please do not buy a Taurus they suck I carry A pt145 a lot and I don't want the prices to go up.
    DSCN0140.jpg
    TTgunleather can do an IWB shoot me a pm if you need picks.

Bite the bullet....for a nominal amount more you can get a M&P "midsize". Accurate and dependable

Quote Originally Posted by Finlander View Post
    Bite the bullet....for a nominal amount more you can get a M&P "midsize". Accurate and dependable
    I am VERY happy with my M&P45c. It's a bit larger then most "compact" models but it carries like a much smaller gun.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Tell your friend to look at a Beretta Px4 Storm in 45apc, great gun, in the 500.00 range, both dependable and very accurate. If you are going to use any handgun for personal protection the terms cheap or inexpensive should not be used in the same breath.

I had a Taurus PT145 also. I thought the gun itself was great. Liked the sights, the trigger, external safety, I was very accurate with it. But the mags....the mags just killed it. Ghetto remedies such as cutting the springs and such just didn't do it for me. So I got a G30.

For a high cap .45 in a small package the G30 is the deal. Could also look into a RIA 1911...cap. 8rounds I've been carrying it lately. I also recommend a PM45...pretty much a pocket pistol .45 though..cap is 6+1...I liked the butter smooth trigger of the PM45.

Though after I got alittle over 1000 rounds on it I noticed the polymer rails on the frame were getting beat pretty bad...so I got rid of it.

The Bersa TH45UC is relatively inexpensive and very reliable.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links