Two part question..helping someone pick an inexpensive 45 acp - Page 3

Two part question..helping someone pick an inexpensive 45 acp

This is a discussion on Two part question..helping someone pick an inexpensive 45 acp within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just sold my PT145. It had been a great gun but decided to go all DAO and upgraded to a Glock 30. I think ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Two part question..helping someone pick an inexpensive 45 acp

I just sold my PT145. It had been a great gun but decided to go all DAO and upgraded to a Glock 30. I think the PT145 was a good value and given my experience with it would recommend you at least consider it. Now that I have it, I like the Glock 30 better, but except for the manual safety they are nearly physically and operationally identical. Not clone mind you, but close enough that $200 more for the Glock makes you think twice. I ended up buying a used G30 and am happy with it, and saved a bit of money going that route. Ultimately I think the G30 will last longer and cost less to maintain/outfit.

If your friend does go the PT145 route, Side Guard Holsters makes really nice reasonably priced custom holsters for it that I highly recommend. Of course, he makes them for the G30 too, so either way you're covered.
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

For an inexpensive .45 acp, I'd suggest a S&W M&P.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

VIP Member
    I have a Taurus PT145 Pro that has been flawless. I carry it in a Kholster which is very comfortable and reasonably priced. I have other carry options, but the PT145 gets most of the work. I have put about 800 rounds down range through it and it has been flawless. I know that others have had different experiences, but this is mine.

I also carry a G21 in a Kholster and that too is very comfortable. The G30 can ride in the same holster and is also comfortable in the Kholster.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I would take a look at the Bersa. I don't have one, but I do have the Thunder .380 and it has operated flawlessly. If I decide to purchase another .45 for CCW the Bersa will definitely be one I check out.
    NRA Member

"I like a man who grins when he fights."
    ~Winston Churchill

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    Excellent suggestion!
    I own one. Mine is a 9mm Compact. Probably one of the first around here. Never a problem with it, Very easy to take down and maintain. Some complain about the long DAO trigger but it is smooth. I have always liked the gun.
    Yeah everyone else liked the P250, that is why it's 400.00. Just sayin....
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

That's a pretty wonderful combination of criteria. I don't think it exists. Small, light, "high" capacity, reliable enough for daily carry, and inexpensive. I think your friend will need to relax one or more of those criteria in order to find something satisfactory.

There are several decent platforms that have .45ACP as an option.

A couple to consider, particularly if you can be patient for the right deal to come along:

• Para Ordnance Warthog or Nite Hawg -- 10 rds, 6.5" OAL, 4.5" H, 1911 platform.
    • Heckler & Koch USP in .45ACP -- 12 rds, 7.8" OAL, 5.5" H, SA/DA ambidextrous.
    • Heckler & Koch USP Compact in .45ACP -- 8 rds, 7" OAL, 5" H, SA/DA ambidextrous.
    • Heckler & Koch HK45 Compact -- 10 rds, 7.2" OAL, 5.5" H, SA/DA ambidextrous.

Of course, "compact" comes down to a person's definition of what's small enough and close-fitting enough to carry easily and comfortably day after day. There are many people who carry 1911 Commander-sized pistols on a daily basis. With the right holster, belt and mode of carry, it can work well for many. Depends on the person. Para's Warthog and Nite Hawg varieties are a bit fatter than most folks like, but at 6.5" in length they are fairly compact units. Add another inch to the length (which isn't tough to conceal if the gun is well-concealed already), then either of the H&K's should be considered as well. With the H&K's you'll be getting a level of reliability and durability that many other options simply cannot tough. Something to consider in the list of criteria, particularly given that a person's going to be relying upon this as a defensive weapon.

As for price, I've seen "hawgs" for under $500 over the past year, and the occasional .45ACP H&K for a bit over that. Patience can get you into either of these options for well under the MSRP of new purchases.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have owned a pt145 for about a year now and I have about 600 rounds through it. It has it's advantages and disadvantages. I love the caliber,capacity, and size. I carry mine in a kholster and it conceals pretty easily. I have dropped it while loaded and the safety's did their job.

I hate the sights and the trigger is not all that great. It is almost impossible to chamber a round from a full magazine. I have had multiple malfunctions...one double feed, and many ftf's with range ammo. The little experience I have gained with defensive pistols has caused me to form the opinion that the thumb safety on a pistol is a hindrance, however it is necessary to have the thumb safety engaged while carrying the pt145. I lost confidence in my Taurus as an edc gun and purchased a Springfield xd 9mm service pistol.
    1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Tell your friend to get a G30. It is not that more money than the Taurus.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

VIP Member
    M&P 45c it's a solid choice
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

there are some great guns out there i would also look at maybe the ruger LCR .38 +p or the LCR .357 there both real light guns and very powerful!! in .45 there is a very reliable .45 they do have a compact its a rock island .45 very cheap and a cone of the colt 1911 they run $400-$450 there not real fancy but they will get the job done i can promise you that!!

I'll 2nd the Rock Islands if you are looking for a new .45 on a budget. Both of mine are accurate and I haven't had any issues with either one.

Quote Originally Posted by wolf88 View Post
    I own a pt145 and have shot it alot and have yet to have anykind of failure with many different ammos from the dirt cheap to the good stuff its very easy to conceal and 10+1 is great in 45acp I like how it fits my hand while still being small i picked up a g36 and just didnt like how it felt..the pt145 is a reliable handgun that has given me no problems.. Now that said i have heard its a luck of the draw kinda deal where one might work perfect and the next wont be worth the box of ammo your trying to shoot..Mine works perfect i would highly recomend it to anyone... But as always a Glock is a Glock and they didnt get there reputation for nothing
    I too own and carry a Taurus PT145 primarily; although, I have several. The weapon fits my hand well, and is a breeze to shoot as the recoil isn't nearly as bad as you might expect. I have had no issued with mine with nearly 1000 rounds down range. I do have one mag that doesn't work as well as the others, but it is marked and I do not use it for carrying. It isn't the most accurate, but I have no problems keeping a reasonable pattern up to 15 yards in center mass. I have a friend who has carried one for years, and seriously beats his up....it keeps trucking right along. As a dealer, when this particular quiry is presented; I recommend this pistol because it does fit what you are asking in this forum.

Now I say that to say this...Taurus is a Taurus, and they aren't known for their customer service, and there is plenty of Taurus bashing going on online. They mass produce pistols and their QC department may not be as strict as say...colt, S&W, Ruger, etc..., so their return rate is likely going to be highter, making their customer service and repair time slower. IF the individual can afford a bit more; upgrade to a more respectable name, but in three years of doing business; I have had no complaints about any Taurus firearm I have sold. Although I am not a huge retailer, this is a fair sampling of various pistols for roughly 50 customers. So far, so good.... Finally...it is definately a fun pistol to shoot. shoot it after dark or in low light...bad azz fireball.... :-)
    Mark
    Active Duty Air Force
    Federal Firearms Licensed Dealer - marchellearms.com
    NRA Life Member
    Concealed Carry Permit Holder

I do however, intend to switch to 1911, but not 100% sure which one...it is a toss up between Kimber CDP Ultra, Kimber Super Carry Ultra, or another custom built 1911. I also like the new S&W with 4" barrel and commader frame. Sweet....
    Mark
    Active Duty Air Force
    Federal Firearms Licensed Dealer - marchellearms.com
    NRA Life Member
    Concealed Carry Permit Holder

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Yeah everyone else liked the P250, that is why it's 400.00. Just sayin....
    That is an ignorant statement. Tell it to Glock talk.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links