Two part question..helping someone pick an inexpensive 45 acp

This is a discussion on Two part question..helping someone pick an inexpensive 45 acp within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by skystud1 I am helping a friend pick a 45 acp handgun for ccw. The want a small package,hi cap, and want to ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Two part question..helping someone pick an inexpensive 45 acp

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skystud1 View Post
    I am helping a friend pick a 45 acp handgun for ccw. The want a small package,hi cap, and want to keep price down. The Taurus PT 145 looks like the perfect combo of form/function, but we are concerned with Taurus quality and holster options for the handgun.
    If this man really is your friend, then why would you want to encourage him to buy a cheap handgun?

Have you let him shoot either your brand new Glock 26 or 36? You should let him try both of your two new Glock carry guns out, and see if he would rather get a Glock like you did.

Advising him to get a Taurus is really not doing him any favor at all.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    If this man really is your friend, then why would you want to encourage him to buy a cheap handgun?

Advising him to get a Taurus is really not doing him any favor at all.
    Stay far away from Taurus would be better advice.

As far as inexpensive but reliable .45's.

RIA and Firestorm (Bersa) are the best options under $450.

What they lack in overall "refinement" they make up for in rock solid reliability and low price point. Cheap and inexpensive are not the same thing.

I own 1911s by several of the best know makers (Colt, Kimber, Dan Wesson, Springfield) and the RIA performs just as well as far as reliability and accuracy.

The Firestorm .45 is not as well finished as higher priced handguns but it is all steel, reliable and a solid performer that exceeds its low price IMO.

I own a lot of handguns many of which are thought of as high end firearms and I can carry basically anything I choose too, but I would not hesitate to carry either of these relatively inexpensive handguns.

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    I've had a Taurus PT145 - never any problems. I have friends who have the PT145 & some have the 24/7 compact .45 and no problems. From a Taurus forum it looks to me like most get good reviews for their Taurus but a few get a lemon and have nothing but problems. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    For God, Family and Country!

If you're forced to make a recommendation, and I wouldn't personally, I would hesitate to suggest a Taurus. I bought a new 24/7 c 45 two years ago, and it has been perfect for over 800 rounds. On the basis of that gun, I got a new PT745 early this year. I had multiple FTFeeds in the first 262 rounds and sent it back to Taurus. It came back six weeks later with the same problems, so I sold it back to the dealer.

Again, if you have to suggest a pistol, I have had a very good experience with my M&P c 45. It is completely reliable and very accurate. I just bought an HK USP 45 compact which has an excellent reputation, but I'll have to put some rounds downrange before recommending it.

Glock 30

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    Stay far away from Taurus would be better advice.

As far as inexpensive but reliable .45's.

RIA and Firestorm (Bersa) are the best options under $450.

What they lack in overall "refinement" they make up for in rock solid reliability and low price point. Cheap and inexpensive are not the same thing.

I own 1911s by several of the best know makers (Colt, Kimber, Dan Wesson, Springfield) and the RIA performs just as well as far as reliability and accuracy.

Wow Pirate, the photo of your Rock Island does indeed look impressive.

I had no idea that they made a compact model. All their website talks about are full size guns. Yet I now see that many dealers have this compact model for sale. Prices are around $420 to $430, at many of the dealers.

That would indeed be an affordable option, for someone that likes 1911 handguns.

No one has mentioned a Glock-36 yet. I head on down to the gun shop and handle one.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    No one has mentioned a Glock-36 yet. I head on down to the gun shop and handle one.
    I think the G36 hasn't really been brought up because the OP said that capacity was one of his primary concerns. That being said for the size and weight it's hard to beat a 36.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    That is an ignorant statement. Tell it to Glock talk.
    Actually can you tell that this statement is not accurate? They are giving p250's away compared to when the first came out. I am just being honest and saying that the gun was a miss for Sig. I feel like I can have my own opinion, I did own one. Not a bad firearm, just not an elite polymer in a tough polymer market.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

los

<---------------
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

I have several 45's,the RIA 45 compact can be had for around low 400's,S&W MP45c bought on Buds for 499.00,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Actually can you tell that this statement is not accurate? They are giving p250's away compared to when the first came out. I am just being honest and saying that the gun was a miss for Sig. I feel like I can have my own opinion, I did own one. Not a bad firearm, just not an elite polymer in a tough polymer market.
    Of the 10 or so P250 configurations. There are a couple basic 9mm versions that would retail for about $400. Add for Nitron finish, NS and the Price goes closer to $500. Add $25 for .40S&W more for .357 or .45 ACP. There are slight differences in price for size, FS, CMT or SC. The average price with Nitron and NS is going to be $525-550.

That is competitive with most Glock with GNS.

The P250 is less expensive than it was 3 years ago but they are hardly giving them away. I don't think it was meant to be an elite Pistol. It is a reliable and fairly accurate DAO priced right for this market and a good choice for an entry level pistol.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links