Two part question..helping someone pick an inexpensive 45 acp

This is a discussion on Two part question..helping someone pick an inexpensive 45 acp within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am helping a friend pick a 45 acp handgun for ccw. The want a small package,hi cap, and want to keep price down. The ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Two part question..helping someone pick an inexpensive 45 acp

I am helping a friend pick a 45 acp handgun for ccw. The want a small package,hi cap, and want to keep price down. The Taurus PT 145 looks like the perfect combo of form/function, but we are concerned with Taurus quality and holster options for the handgun. Opinions/experience with PT145? Any IWB holsters that are from reputable makers out there for pt 145? Thanks!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skystud1 View Post
    I am helping a friend pick a 45 acp handgun for ccw. The want a small package,hi cap, and want to keep price down. The Taurus PT 145 looks like the perfect combo of form/function, but we are concerned with Taurus quality and holster options for the handgun. Opinions/experience with PT145? Any IWB holsters that are from reputable makers out there for pt 145? Thanks!
    This is actually not a bad pistol for the money. My neighbor is the ex chief of police here. He carries one every day. He has had some minor problems. It is a good pistol, not a great pistol.

• Constructed with a hammer forged slide and an injection molded polymer frame, Taurus' Millennium Pro PT145 is a pocket size, extremely lightweight double action only autoloader in .45 ACP that weighs only 22.6 ounces.. The Model PT145 has a 10 round magazine capacity for 10+1. The most central feature of the gun is its recoil operated action instead of the simple blowback mechanisms found on many other pocket size pistols

Last edited by SIGP250; October 18th, 2010 at 12:53 PM.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    In my opinion he's asking the impossible. He's looking for a high capacity, small, light weight package, in 45 ACP that costs very little. If he is willing to spend around $550 -$600 I would highly recommend Glock 36 or 30. The G30 has higher capacity, but is heavier and thicker. If he is willing to spend a little more, he should look at the S&W M&P compact in 45 ACP.

I personally carry the Glock 36. I had a G30 but considered it too fat for me to carry.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

The PT145 is a great gun if you get one that works. Mine was easy to conceal and easy to shoot but I had magazine issues and Taurus couldn't get them sorted out. My personal suggestion would be to save up a extra 100-150.00 and get a Glock 30. As far as holsters go I know that crossbreed makes the super tuck for the PT145. Carl Collins also makes iwb and owb holsters for it if all leather is your thing. He makes a really good belt as well.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedomofchoice View Post
    In my opinion he's asking the impossible. He's looking for a high capacity, small, light weight package, in 45 ACP that costs very little. If he is willing to spend around $550 -$600 I would highly recommend Glock 36 or 30. The G30 has higher capacity, but is heavier and thicker. If he is willing to spend a little more, he should look at the S&W M&P compact in 45 ACP.

I personally carry the Glock 36. I had a G30 but considered it too fat for me to carry.
    I would not want to be the guy to recommend an unreliable pistol to a friend or even a stranger. The Taurus often gets bashed by people who have never seen one or owned one.
    I know some Hi point owners that are perfectly happy with them. There are more reliable pistols than Taurus. That can change.

I agree though, spend a little more if you can and buy something that is not going to be a big question mark.

I'm not a Glock guy. Others may be happy with theirs. I just prefer SIG, CZ, S&W.

The Glock 30 would be worth looking at. I would compare it to the S&W M&P 45C.
    They are both about the same price and only about $100.00 more than the Taurus.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Look at a SIG P250, they are under $400.00 right now and they fit your description. I looked at the Taurus on my last shopping trip, it had fit and quality issues. In all fairness, I did not shoot it and it had a very good trigger, but the mag would not lock into place 50% of the time - even with a smart smack on the floor plate.

I'll add my PT145 failure experience. I had one for nearly a year and never once did the gun cycle with a full magazine. I also had many FTF with only a half magazine. I sent it to Taurus and waited over two months to get it back, just to find out it still had the same problems. I now have a 1911 for my .45 fix and couldn't be happier. If you can live with only 8 rounds instead of 10-13, then there are plenty of decent priced 1911's that IMHO are much easier to conceal than a fat double stacked polymer pistol. Only downside is they normally weigh twice as much, but with the right holster it's a non-issue. Even my Ultra-Compact sized 1911 holds 7 rounds.

JT
    Glock 30. Spend a little more to get a dependable gun.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Napa Nick View Post
    Look at a SIG P250, they are under $400.00 right now and they fit your description. I looked at the Taurus on my last shopping trip, it had fit and quality issues. In all fairness, I did not shoot it and it had a very good trigger, but the mag would not lock into place 50% of the time - even with a smart smack on the floor plate.
    Excellent suggestion!
    I own one. Mine is a 9mm Compact. Probably one of the first around here. Never a problem with it, Very easy to take down and maintain. Some complain about the long DAO trigger but it is smooth. I have always liked the gun.
    - Zen Saying

As many have already posted, save up and buy a more reliable pistol. Price is always a consideration but should be lower in priorities than reliability. Your friend will be kicking himself and maybe you if he spends say $400 on a cheap gun that can't be relied upon when he should have spent $100 to $200 more and had a reliable CC pistol.

Don't go cheap!

How about a used Glock or something like that? could have a gun smith or glock armor take a look at it and make sure its good...

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Inexpensive is the key word, not cheap. Many inexpensive handguns work fine, considering the "inexpensive" price in comparison to higher end 1911s and others.

Glock 30: ten +1 or 13+1 with a G21 mag. Gives it an extra boost for HD duty. Doesn't print as much as you think it does.
    Glock 36: Lighter (mainly due to less ammo weight) and thinner. Extra mag equals more capacity.
    Either is affordable and ultra reliable.

Any hi-cap .45 will be heavier due to the ammo weight, but that's the price of carrying a .45. You deal with it if that's the caliber you want.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Have you looked at the Kahr CW45? I saw one at a recent gun show for around $425 or so. Very thin (which is the biggest factor, for me).

You know I can't agree with you guys/gals more! The Taurus appears too good to be true with regard to its size and capacity. It's ergos look cool, but for $350 bucks what can you expect. The G30 is too big so the 36 might be an option. it's not a duty gun, so 7 rounds should suffice. As for the Kahr cw45, I saw one for 450 new. A tad longer grip, but same capacity. Decisions, decisions!! I will take a look at the Sig 250 as well.. There is something in the back of my mind that doesn't feel comfortable with a Taurus. Not saying they are bad, but I don't get the warm and fuzzies. Alos, I think it says a lot about a gun when holster makers rarely make a holster for it. Thanks for the suggestions!! Keep em coming!

SA XD .45 Compact, Glock 30 or Kahr .45, not necessarily in that order, would be my choices. I have no experience with the specific model of Taurus, but I do with other Tauri. Right now, I own about 13 Glocks, 9 Kahrs, one SA XDm .45, and no Tauri. I'm waiting to see if SA comes out with an XDm .45 Compact. Whether or not they do, I'll soon own a SA XD .45 Compact of some persuasion. Further, Affiant Sayeth Naught.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links