New FNP9 not locking back

This is a discussion on New FNP9 not locking back within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While manually cycling my new FNP9, I noticed it doesn't always want to lock back on an empty magazine (at least 2 of the 3 ...

Thread: New FNP9 not locking back

New FNP9 not locking back

While manually cycling my new FNP9, I noticed it doesn't always want to lock back on an empty magazine (at least 2 of the 3 I have). Are the mag springs maybe a litte weak, or is the slide lock back maybe a little stiff? Looking inside, it appears the magazine just doesn't push the catch up far enough. Will FN send me more powerful mag springs?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Cdknox View Post
    While manually cycling my new FNP9, I noticed it doesn't always want to lock back on an empty magazine (at least 2 of the 3 I have). Are the mag springs maybe a litte weak, or is the slide lock back maybe a little stiff? Looking inside, it appears the magazine just doesn't push the catch up far enough. Will FN send me more powerful mag springs?
    If the gun/mags are new I would call FN to see what the warranty process is. You could probably just send the mags back and they would send you new ones.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    Most new mags need a little tuning. I would compare the feed lips on the ones that don't work to the one that does and see if the are a smidge tighter.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Administrator
    The FNP-9 & the FNP-40 were reportedly both having problems with weak magazine springs. So I would get that problem rectified by any means possible.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

GM
    Contact FN asap.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Back when I first got my FNP-9, I had the same problem. Based on advice I received at the FNH forum, I locked the slide back manually and left it that way for two days. The problem disappeared! (YMMV)
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

What is the test fire date? I got a "new" FNP9 in 2008 that was test fired in 2006. Sometime between when my gun was manufactured and when I purchased it FN changed the follower design slightly to correct the problem you are describing. I made a call and a few days later I had 3 replacement followers that fixed me right up. Only problem I ever had with that gun.

test date was 2007 and was just bought new a couple weeks ago. Sat on the FN shelves for a while.

The first time I shot my FNX-9 I had the same problem, slide didn't lock back several times. When I went home I loaded up several mags with 10 or so rounds and locked the slide back as well (as posted by WoodLark). They sat that way for a couple days. Haven't had the problem since then.

Based on your test fire date I would call FN and see if you need the updated followers.

I bought a NIB FNP-9 last week and it has the same issue of the slide not locking back. I called Bob at FN and he says its a follower AND slide lock problem and it will have to go back for factory service.

I asked for a couple of free mags for my trouble but he said no. Oh well, didn't hurt to ask and it's not like the mags cost them a fortune.

I finally got out to shoot it since I bought it in October (no time, financial reasons) and had it fail to lock back on 2 of the mags (I marked them.) I called FN and described this and they wanted the entire gun back. I know it's a mag problem on these two and not the gun as the 3rd mag locks back everytime. I really don't want to send the whole gun in. I wish they would just send me new followers to try, it would be cheaper for them. Gun however does shoot great!

Well I think the guy at FN is right about it being a follower and slide lock problem. Here's a picture I took of my FNP-9 and you can see how short the slide lock is.

Ive never seen strawberry jelly used as a lubricant! :)

Neither have I...maybe after a shooting session he may be due for a snack. Jokes a side that is an awful lot of lube.

Links