Defensive Carry banner

Extended Magazine Release for Glock

14K views 18 replies 18 participants last post by  DukeShooter 
#1 ·
I have been looking at getting an extended mag release for my G23 to improve mag changes, so I wanted to see what others experience has been with them. I have heard about them scratching you all up when carrying concealed, shooting the mag out on the floor when you bend over and all kind of crap, so I wanted some real feedback.

#2 ·
I put both the extended mag release and slide release on my G26 but ended up taking both off. I found it way to easy to accidentally actuate them.

#3 ·
Why do you want any larger of a snag item on your weapon? I can understand if you have a physical problem that keeps you from operating the stock slide release or mag release. But if you are not physically challenged you simply need to practice more. A larger protruding lever from the frame of the gun isn't the answer. It may seem like the right answer, but it isn't.
NCH

#7 · (Edited)
Exactly, I have them on two of my Glocks and like them and they have never once caused an issue with "accidental mag discharge". At least not for me. Does not dig into my side when carrying either concealed. I also sanded the edges to smooth the mag release and it works and performs perfectly.

#5 ·
The extended mag releases will also cause problems with some holsters and your magazine will end up bouncing across the floor when you least expect it.

Better to work on the routine with the standard release for carry guns.

#6 ·
I had Glock, here in Atlanta, put both on my G23 and the only problem is with the mag release. It is very sharp and you will have to sand the edges down, just alittle. Once that is done I see no problems whatsoever.
I also had it tricked out with everything you can do including stipple the handle.

Just playing around with it.. IMO there is no need to do anything to a Glock. It will work fine stock - out of the box. And after doing all that I had done, I can really see no major difference with the performance.

#8 ·
Waste of $ IMO. Just practice w/ the stock mag catch. I can change mags very fast w/ the stock catch. You are right about losing the mag. It would really stink to draw a light Glock with 1 shot.

#9 ·
I had the extended mag release on my G19. Went back to the original because it dug into the holster so hard I was concerned about the mag falling out. I was alwas checking the mag to see if it was secure.

#10 ·
I prefer the 'stock' Glock...no extended mag release for me.
I can release the mag without a problem...practice!

#11 ·
Aro-Tek extended releases

I have a Glock 23 that I bought used with some customization on it, including an extended mag release and extended slide release. It was done by Aro-Tek in Washington. It has never given me any problems, and they are slightly easier to access than the stock releases. The extra thickness on the gun is barely perceptible, and it doesn't affect holsters, etc. Here is a photo:

#12 ·
IMHO.........extended mag releases on the Glock pistols are best used for competition. I've been down the road with an extended mag release on the G19 and IWB carry. It pinches me where I shouldn't feel a thing. Just the way I carry, and my gear.........not everyone will see the same results. Another opinion......if you can't manipulate the stock mag release on your Glock pistol, change the way in which you manipulate it. You can do this at home with an empty pistol and an empty mag. Just be sure about your muzzle control while doing mag changes. I tend to cant the pistol at about a 15° angle on my mag changes during slow competition (steel challenge). During an IPSC match, I couldn't tell you since it's run-and-gun and I can't observe myself, nor have I made it a point to assess myself and what I'm doing. I'll tell you that I'm sure a mag change for me with any of my Glocks almost surely means my muzzle leading off-target. Something I am working on myself. With a two hand hold, try using the weak hand thumb to depress the mag release. Granted, this won't work of your weak hand is disabled somehow. But if you are going for a spare magazine on the weak side during a mag change, just bring the pistol to the low-ready position with muzzle facing downrange toward the target and do the weak hand mag change with fresh mag and releasing the spent mag. Carrying? This is going to depend on your holster and your comfort. I have plenty of experience carrying concealed with my chosen gear with a factory (OEM) extended mag release with my Glocks. I have never experienced an accidental mag release because of it. The Glock mag release needs more positive pressure to initiate the action than just merely bending over or laying on it with full body weight. Skin gives. That's why you more than likely will suffer discomfort or a mark carrying your chosen Glock with extended mag release than an accidental magazine release. But hey....we're all different and we have different methods and means. Try it out for yourself......it's an easy swap and a cheap part. Sometimes experience is worth a thousand replies. What you hear and what you want to try are separate things. We learn a lot from others' experiences, but comes a point in time we have to find out for ourselves. Whatever works best for you is what you're after. I probably have an extra extended mag release for your G23. Thing is, shipping it to you just to try and return would run you more than just getting one yourself brand new and testing. You'll at least have a spare part for your Glock. Glock on!

#17 ·
This rides on all my Glocks and will always replace a stock Glock mag release if I get a new Glock. I will never use anything else. It is that good IMO.

#15 ·
+1 on the Vickers Tactical extended mag release. It's just a bit longer than stock, but not too long. Edges are already rounded off. Simple drop in part. I run them on both my G19 and my G26.

#19 ·
I got one from the Glock Store online, put it on my Glock 33, holstered the Glock in my SuperTuck and promptly ejected my magazine! Crap! I took it off immediately and it's now in my Gun Junk Drawer, you know...The stuff you thought would be great and found out was just "not so great" when in use! So if you want to use one, check that your holster will not "pop the release".

Think twice before customizing a carry weapon.

The Duke

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.