Considering upgrading my pocket gun

This is a discussion on Considering upgrading my pocket gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Whatever you do, keep your LCP for those times when you need deep concealment. It won't hurt to have your old LCP sitting around even ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Considering upgrading my pocket gun

Whatever you do, keep your LCP for those times when you need deep concealment. It won't hurt to have your old LCP sitting around even if it only gets carried a few times a year.

2. Remove Ads

Before you give up on the LCR and 38 special, take a look at the Buffalo Bore 38 +P 158gr it has 380ft .lbs. of energy out of a 2" barrel. Take a look at this link to see a guy who tested several loads read first and second post.

I see the LCR in 38 special being very close with this load to most 357 mag loads out of 2" barrels.

Another thought is Kahr PM45 it is the size of you LCR.

I say you have a few option:

1) Keep the LCP and deal with how you shoot it.
    2) Get a small .380 you can shoot better - Kahr P380 comes to mind. Real sights, easier to hold on too - just as small.
    3) Get a larger caliber auto - like a PM9.
    4) go to a revolver. Keep in mind the superiority of .357 mag ballistics deteriorate quickly as barrel length decreases. The price you have to pay for the magnum boom, my not be worth it. I would also suggest you look at a revolver in the new .327 Federal Magnum. It has about 40% less recoil energy than a .357 mag, and was designed to work with short barrels. Plus, you get 6 rounds instead of 5!

30 years ago I carried a S&W M38 Airweight Bodyguard loaded with 158 gr +P LHP's... the gun was light and easy to carry but it was not fun to shoot! Just my opinion, but... 5 shots off target are not better than 7 or 8 of a smaller caliber on target. I now carry a K/T PF9 loaded with Critical Defense in the gun and spare mag. It kicks, but it kicks less than my M38, and I hit the target consistently. I did add a Hogue grip sleeve and mag extensions so that I can get my pinky finger on the grip... these mods made a noticeable difference in control. I also plan on getting a K/T P32 now that Cor Bon offers a 32 DPX loading. I also put lasers on all my handguns, they help these 55 year old eyes a lot. AND, muzzle flash from a short barrel 357 is nasty!

although the Ruger LCR .357/.38 are fine handguns,i'm not sure i'd refer to them as "pocket guns" which is what your looking for by replacing your LCP.depending on what your work attire is,you may need to find a different method of carrying the LCR..if you are able to carry it in the pocket comfortably,i'd say go for it but keep that LCP around just in case :)

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    A Walther PPS is just as small as a 38 snubnose regarding length and height, and it is dramatically thinner, as you can easily see in this comparison photo:

So if you are considering a snubnose, the Walther PPS will be even easier to carry. And you will have available either 6 + 1 of .40 S&W or 7 + 1 of 9mm in the gun.

The gun will be far easier to shoot, too.

I carry a .357 in a 25 oz weapon and have no issues with recoil shooting 125Gr JHP Buffalo Bore or Speer or with the 158Gr wadcutters one handed and on the move. it is very easy.

Rollo, my friend. You're appetite for new pistols is never satisfied... What are we gonna do with you? You're incorrigible.

My wife's carry weapon of choice is the LCP. I've carried it some, and shot it a bunch. It works, it does it's job. I have had a few malfunctions with it, which leads me to doubt a little.

Anyway, I wanted a snub, just because. I'm a nostalgic kinda guy, that means a snub had to be added to my collection. I set out to compare the LCR and SP101. Upon my journey, I came across a mint condition, pre-lock S&W 442. I compared it head to head with the LCR (no SP in stock at the time). The 442 just had the character, and me being a sucker for nostalgia, I bought the used 442. I'm sure glad that I did. I would have never known what I was missing.

To me, it's not about the lack of capacity, it's another tool to add to my arsenal. Another dimension of my mode of carry. Quite often it rides in my pocket, whilst a Glock or 1911 are on the waist. You've got nothing to lose by getting one. I don't think that you have to get rid of your .380, but the addition of a snub will give you more options, and options are good, right?

Check out some of the various threads of late regarding snubbies. There's a lot of valuable info by a lot of folks about the snubnose revolver. It's a trade off, like so many other things. You get low capacity, but you get reliability. You also get more concealment opportunities and options; did I mention that options are good?

It would be so easy, to carry your G26, strong side, and yet slip a .357 snub in your pocket. You could have a good grip on your revolver, while in your pocket, and no one would be the wiser.

Suppose with cooler winter weather approaching, that you are carrying your Glock, but put on a heavy jacket. There are a lot of layers to get through, to deploy your Glock, but you can throw your snubbie in your pocket and you're good to go.

I'll try to sum up here, and be as articulate as possible: Go and buy a Ruger SP101 right now

Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I just put a .357 revolver on layaway at my local gun store. It's a six shooter, and once it's paid off it will be my pocket gun. It's a happy medium for me. Besides, I always have my EDC .45 in the car with 10+1 plus two extra 10 round magazines. The way I see it, those six shots are to get me to my car - nothing else! After that I have 31 rounds to fight my way back to my castle and if for some ungodly reason SOMEONE has not come to my aid, I break out my 12 gauge and "go" bag and book it to the designated meeting place, where I will meet up with all of my friends with guns, thereby obtaining either an AR or AK, whereupon we load up and head for the hills.

Of course, that's the worst case scenario. Besides, the revolver does not jam, and quick strips or those competition reloaders work pretty well from what I have seen. Best of luck with your decision!
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Sights? LCPs have sights? lol
    When I picked mine up I had the dealer put a Crimson Trace on it. I said something about the "sights" and he told me that guns that small were "point and shoot". Still, I wanted something functional on it that I could sight over a longer distance with. It fits my hand well and I regularly practice pointing it, then seeing where the red dot is. There's not a wall switch, computer mouse or dog's toy that's safe within 15 ft. ;^) It would be nice if the trigger pull was shorter, but it is what it is. I figure the laser will come in handier for the follow up shot. Of course, that's not going to do me any good in bright conditions outside, but I'm better at pointing elsie than I am my own finger. Anything that short and I recommend a laser.
    Good tip whoever said about staggering rounds. As soon as I pick up some decent FMJ, I'll be loading them every other. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Rollo, my friend. You're appetite for new pistols is never satisfied... What are we gonna do with you? You're incorrigible.

My wife's carry weapon of choice is the LCP. I've carried it some, and shot it a bunch. It works, it does it's job. I have had a few malfunctions with it, which leads me to doubt a little.

Anyway, I wanted a snub, just because. I'm a nostalgic kinda guy, that means a snub had to be added to my collection. I set out to compare the LCR and SP101. Upon my journey, I came across a mint condition, pre-lock S&W 442. I compared it head to head with the LCR (no SP in stock at the time). The 442 just had the character, and me being a sucker for nostalgia, I bought the used 442. I'm sure glad that I did. I would have never known what I was missing.

To me, it's not about the lack of capacity, it's another tool to add to my arsenal. Another dimension of my mode of carry. Quite often it rides in my pocket, whilst a Glock or 1911 are on the waist. You've got nothing to lose by getting one. I don't think that you have to get rid of your .380, but the addition of a snub will give you more options, and options are good, right?

Check out some of the various threads of late regarding snubbies. There's a lot of valuable info by a lot of folks about the snubnose revolver. It's a trade off, like so many other things. You get low capacity, but you get reliability. You also get more concealment opportunities and options; did I mention that options are good?

It would be so easy, to carry your G26, strong side, and yet slip a .357 snub in your pocket. You could have a good grip on your revolver, while in your pocket, and no one would be the wiser.

Suppose with cooler winter weather approaching, that you are carrying your Glock, but put on a heavy jacket. There are a lot of layers to get through, to deploy your Glock, but you can throw your snubbie in your pocket and you're good to go.

I'll try to sum up here, and be as articulate as possible: Go and buy a Ruger SP101 right now

You raise a interesting point. When I have thought about a pocket gun I only thought about it in regards of my pants pocket. Well, with cool weather approaching there's no reason I couldn't slip it in my jacket/coat pocket. Also as you point out it looks natural to walk around with your hands in your coat pockets so I could always have a hand on the handle and drawing WOULD be faster then having to dig through layers to get to my M&P45c. Plus it gives me an excuse to by a SP101... I like your thinking!
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    You're not crazy. Otherwise....you'd be on some other forum, and likely not have internet access let alone be out of your room for very long without supervision.
    The 45ACP....something I will never be without. 9mm....again, something I don't want to be without.
    The caliber ordeal and the concealment. You've been here long enough. You hit what you aim at and you make good hits, and you hit until the threat is neutralized. What you use to do this matters not....only that you have a goal in mind (survival). Anything is better than nothing or becoming a victim. To me...the caliber ordeal isn't important. What is important is your will to survive with any means you have available to do this. every day I come to this forum and I'll see someone asking if what they have chosen for personal defense is worthy. Worthy of what? I ask to myself. To have a firearm in hand when an armed criminal attacks sure beats pepper spray by a long shot IMO. 22lr will have a longer lasting and immediate effect IMO. Don't over-think things, and don't get caught up in the magic bullet theory. Statistics only prove something from a sample, and samples are taken at random and most likely when those samples prove the point of the author or the one taking the samples for specific reasons and to convey a self-served point. Your "faith" lies only with you. Do what you will, and I wish you would quit doubting your decisions or second-guessing them. I know you'll find peace soon.
    Fantastic post! I like when you say not to over-think things and get caught up in the magic bullet theory. I totally agree! If you conceal carry a .22 Magnum and you are dead on accurate you can stop any threat. Therefore, it is not the caliber, the gun, the ammo, the holster, the laser, the light, the grips or the accessories, it is the skill and precision that counts. Do your job with what you have and you will survive any threat!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

I had a S&W 340 PD. It was NOT fun to shoot. I could get good COM hits at combat range, but honestly a .38 +p would suffice. I ended up getting rid of it because I could not get my head around the internal lock. The only j frame that I know of chambered in .357 without an internal lock is the 640. The 640 is a bit heavy for pocket carry, but it can be done.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Caution about coat pocket carry - what do you do when you take the coat off? You must retain control over the gun - are you going to transfer the gun to your pants pocket? in view of others?

My coat solution is to leave the bottom half unbuttoned or unzipped (buy coats with 2-way zippers). Works fine.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links