Considering upgrading my pocket gun

This is a discussion on Considering upgrading my pocket gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I use Speer Lawman 95 grain FMJ in my Diamondback and I feel comfortable with that load to do as good as any .380 can. ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Considering upgrading my pocket gun

Cool

I use Speer Lawman 95 grain FMJ in my Diamondback and I feel comfortable with that load to do as good as any .380 can. My SP-101 snubbie goes IWB and that is as small a .357 as this old man wants to shoot. If I tried to carry it in my pocket at 5'11" and 170 lbs the Mae West line of "Is that Gun in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?" would fit the ocassion.

For me a flat .380 is the best for the role of pocket carry. It is most always carried as a BUG to a larger caliber weapon, either 9mm, 40 S&W or .45.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I recently changed my carry gun from a Glock 26 (Which I still love and will never get rid of) to a M&P45C. Simply put, I wanted a .45. Call it what you will but I just wanted something that made larger holes then my 9mm. Maybe it's a false sense of security but I do have more faith that the .45 will put down a threat more reliably then the 9mm and that makes me feel better.

About 8 months ago I purchased a Ruger LCP. It is my maxpedition/pocket carry gun. It gets carried back and fourth to work and that's its main purpose. To fill in when I can't carry one of my larger guns. It works well in that role. It is very small and light and flat. I have however never been a big fan of .380 and since I just upgraded my EDC because I didn't have much faith in 9mm it stands to reason I have even less faith in .380. And since .380 and .38 are pretty close ballisticly that leads me to .357. Funny thing, didn't some company just bring out a "pocket" .357?? :)

So first the down side. 5 shots as opposed to 7. Much slower to reload. A good deal heavier (12 ounces vs 19). .357 in a gun that light is going to be about as much fun as a root canal. On to the up side.... Um.... Its a .357! IN YOUR POCKET BABY!!

All joking aside 5 rounds of .357 is a LOT of fire power for a pocket gun and that's really why I am considering making this change. Am I crazy? What do you think? I value your opinions.
    I have a question that's a little off-topic, but still in reference to the original post:

How is the G26 for a pocket gun? I mean, is it too thick? Is it too heavy? Or is it a very good gun to carry in the pocket?
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

I have the M&P 340 and love it. First four are .38 and the last one is a magnum. Great front sight too!

Given the frequency of repeat offenders committing ultra violent crime and who are willing to go to any end to avoid going back to jail and the number of meth/crack heads that roam amongst us looking for their next fix, I believe in quantity of fire way more than I have faith in the dependable caliber. Further, I also prefer many big holes to small ones. I'd stick with the M&P or Glock personally, but definitely something in a double stack.

In the minority here, I know.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    I have a question that's a little off-topic, but still in reference to the original post:

How is the G26 for a pocket gun? I mean, is it too thick? Is it too heavy? Or is it a very good gun to carry in the pocket?
    I wasn't pocket carrying my G26, I carried it in a CBST. I have heard of people pocket carrying it but personally I just couldn't imagine it doing it myself. It's WAY to thick.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Moga View Post
    I'd stick with the M&P or Glock personally, but definitely something in a double stack.

In the minority here, I know.
    The M&P45c is my primary carry. I am considering replacing my pocket gun with is a .380
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    You're not crazy. Otherwise....you'd be on some other forum, and likely not have internet access let alone be out of your room for very long without supervision.
    The 45ACP....something I will never be without. 9mm....again, something I don't want to be without.
    The caliber ordeal and the concealment. You've been here long enough. You hit what you aim at and you make good hits, and you hit until the threat is neutralized. What you use to do this matters not....only that you have a goal in mind (survival). Anything is better than nothing or becoming a victim. To me...the caliber ordeal isn't important. What is important is your will to survive with any means you have available to do this. every day I come to this forum and I'll see someone asking if what they have chosen for personal defense is worthy. Worthy of what? I ask to myself. To have a firearm in hand when an armed criminal attacks sure beats pepper spray by a long shot IMO. 22lr will have a longer lasting and immediate effect IMO. Don't over-think things, and don't get caught up in the magic bullet theory. Statistics only prove something from a sample, and samples are taken at random and most likely when those samples prove the point of the author or the one taking the samples for specific reasons and to convey a self-served point. Your "faith" lies only with you. Do what you will, and I wish you would quit doubting your decisions or second-guessing them. I know you'll find peace soon.
    Sweet post. words to live by in the bold.

Rollo I'm confident you'll do a fine job in your quest for a pocket .357.

I ended up with a Taurus 605blk.

Edit: .45acp and .357mag are the only rounds I choose for self D. in pistols.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    To fill in when I can't carry one of my larger guns. It works well in that role.
    Copy that. Reading is fundamental. I missed that subtlety -- was doing two things at once.

I'd stick with the five shot but would opt for something a bit lighter than a magnum load to enable quicker follow-ups. But that's dependent on my skill level. I just can't get back on target in sufficient time with a five shot pistol. It's another story with some of the short barrel SS six shooters that I have, but I digress.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

I've been carrying a lightweight (and not so lightweight) revolver in a front pocket holster for better than 15 years now. I think a small frame revolver is the best way to go for pocket carry. It offers excellent reliability, good to excellent power, and a very pocket friendly shape. The small magnums have a bite, but in my opinion it isn't as bad for the shooter as the internet rumors claim.

I'd do it, the LCP has a place, but I think a small revolver, .38 Special or .357 is a better overall choice.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    Whatever you do, keep your LCP for those times when you need deep concealment. It won't hurt to have your old LCP sitting around even if it only gets carried a few times a year.
    Agreed!

Obviously most will never have the same secure feeling with an LCP or other similar sized pocket gun as they will have with the .45, .40, or even the 9mm. However, there are many times where deep concealed carry with a larger firearm is not practical, particularly in the summer in an office environment with no coat. I am not one who is attracted to the "underwear holster" concealment and the like. When concealing my .40 or .45 is not practical, the LCP will fit anywhere and go anywhere without any hastle or concealment concerns whatsoever. The LCP is better than not carrying anything. I have tried pocket carry with the XD SC .40 and Baby Glock, but they are not pocket guns -- The LCP truly definitely is a pocket gun. If nothing else, keep it and carry it as a backup.
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links