.380 for BUG

This is a discussion on .380 for BUG within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Have posted this to the Florida Concealed Carry forum, thought I would seek input here as well. My EDC is a G26, but I have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .380 for BUG

.380 for BUG

Have posted this to the Florida Concealed Carry forum, thought I would seek input here as well. My EDC is a G26, but I have been considering a .380 for a BUG. I like the fact that the Taurus TCP 738 locks back on the empty mag and it is only one of a couple I know of to do so. The other is the S&W BG .380, but I am not interested in the integrated laser, which pushes its price up.

OTOH, one reads lots of horror stories about Taurus pistols, which is what kept me from going with the Slim for EDC (and am glad I went with the Glock). So, any personal or vicarious experience with the Taurus TCP or suggestions on alternatives would be appreciated.
    "To predict the behavior of ordinary people in advance, you only have to assume that they will always try to escape a disagreeable situation with the smallest possible expenditure of intelligence." Friedrich Nietzsche

2. Remove Ads

I know you're set on something here. Any BUG is good. Thing is.....with a G26 for carry....why not go for a BUG in 9mm? Just asking. Ammo diversification can sort of string you out in ways.
    No matter what I like or carry, if my EDC was a G26 and I was looking for a BUG, I'd more than likely go for a P11 and use FMJ ammo in it. That's just me though, and I seldom carry a BUG. Sometimes pushing the limits on me carrying a spare mag. A BUG doesn't need to be something of lesser caliber to qualify as a 'BUG'. Just needs to be smaller and carried along as the last line of defense. No caliber war here, and I won't inflict my minimum requirements upon you. There are plenty that will lead anyone to believe the 9mm isn't "enough", when anything you have is better than nothing. I'm just saying (and I can never seem to do this in short words).......that there's no reason for you not to stick with a 9mm for your BUG. You'll be keeping logistics to a minimum. My 2

Hit the search button and you will find some love the TCPs and some hate them. Same with most Taurus pistols. Myself I would get the LCP over the Taurus and sacrifice the last round lock back of the TCP for the dependability of the Ruger.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Ruger's service is top notch. No one has ever had much good to say about Taurus customer service. Some like their guns, some hate them, but the almost universal opinion on their service is that it is...poor.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Keltec p3at...Ruger and Taurus copied them, its an excellent weapon and KTS customer service has a reputation for being great.(there's actually a thread very recently speaking of how good it is.) ...and its never been recalled like the ruger and no Taurus scares...
    Last edited by Ghettokracker71; October 20th, 2010 at 09:18 PM. Reason: typo-using my phone to post currently

Actually if you search and read most of the problems for the Taurus TCP was when it was in the begining early mid 2009 to early 2010. It seems now that the later ones being produced have been problem free and reliable. Also if you look on TaurusArmed there are some recent instances of people that have sent in their Taurus guns for service and receiving it back in less than 2 weeks, one quoted 9 days. So they seemed to be improving. I hope this helps. God Bless

I am not one of those guys

who hates Taurus, in fact I have two PT 1911's which I love. I also have two Ruger LCP's which I also love. The LCP's have been incredibly reliable including HP's. The second LCP is going to my daughter as soon as she gets her permit. While I do have a couple extra mags for the LCP's, reloading my BUG in a gunfight isn't realy high on my list of probabilities. So the fact that the gun does not lock open after the last round doesn't realy bother me.

A couple of friends also have Kel-Tecs and they absolutely love them.

LCP

Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    Actually if you search and read most of the problems for the Taurus TCP was when it was in the begining early mid 2009 to early 2010. It seems now that the later ones being produced have been problem free and reliable. Also if you look on TaurusArmed there are some recent instances of people that have sent in their Taurus guns for service and receiving it back in less than 2 weeks, one quoted 9 days. So they seemed to be improving. I hope this helps. God Bless
    Thanks. Glad to hear that impression...a lot of the negative posts I saw were from the end of 2009.
    "To predict the behavior of ordinary people in advance, you only have to assume that they will always try to escape a disagreeable situation with the smallest possible expenditure of intelligence." Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    Keltec p3at...Ruger and Taurus copied them, its an excellent weapon and KTS customer service has a reputation for being great.(there's actually a thread very recently speaking of how good it is.) ...and its never been recalled like the ruger and no Taurus scares...
    My wife carries a P3AT, so I have fired it and like it...it has certainly been reliable for her. So, no doubt, it is on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I know you're set on something here. Any BUG is good. Thing is.....with a G26 for carry....why not go for a BUG in 9mm? Just asking. Ammo diversification can sort of string you out in ways.
    No matter what I like or carry, if my EDC was a G26 and I was looking for a BUG, I'd more than likely go for a P11 and use FMJ ammo in it. That's just me though, and I seldom carry a BUG. Sometimes pushing the limits on me carrying a spare mag. A BUG doesn't need to be something of lesser caliber to qualify as a 'BUG'. Just needs to be smaller and carried along as the last line of defense. No caliber war here, and I won't inflict my minimum requirements upon you. There are plenty that will lead anyone to believe the 9mm isn't "enough", when anything you have is better than nothing. I'm just saying (and I can never seem to do this in short words).......that there's no reason for you not to stick with a 9mm for your BUG. You'll be keeping logistics to a minimum. My 2
    Thanks for a different perspective. I had not really considered a smaller 9mm as opposed to a .380.

For whats worth I purchased a Taurus TCP back in December 09 and for every 10 rounds fired 2 would jam, FTE and stove pipes. It did not like FMJs at all and HPs was just a little better. I wanted to love the gun but just couldnt it just wasnt reliable. So I traded it for a Ruger LCP and love it so far 100 % reliable.
    Use wisely your power of choice

Remember Ruger had to recall their .380, however as with alll things Ruger, they fixed it right away. Also I will not carry anything unless I have 200-300 rounds through it with 0 problems. This includes not olny training ammo ( FMJ ) but the carry ammo as well. I think you are the right track to consider a back up gun.

The LCP is an excellent BUG and I've never heard anything negative regarding their customer service/support. The "Slide lock on empty" for a BUG is not a big deal IMO. I'd run that thing dry if needed and just recharge it when necessary. If I was using it as a primary carry and no BUG, the slide lock is useful in that role and I'd want to have it.YMMV
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Hard to beat the KelTec for so many reasons...my P-3AT has been flawless for the last 7 years.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links