So how do I fix this?

This is a discussion on So how do I fix this? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I did this to my Kimber Compact. That would be the screw head where it broke off, leaving the rest of the screw deep inside ...

Thread: So how do I fix this?

So how do I fix this?

I did this to my Kimber Compact.

That would be the screw head where it broke off, leaving the rest of the screw deep inside the bushing. I tried to drill out the screw and managed to drill out the bushing threads also. I have extra bushing that I got a while back, but the bushing seems impossible to remove. The new bushings I have are threaded, so how do I get the old bushings out? I tried a flat head screwdriver, but that definitely isn't going to work.

2. Remove Ads

what you need is a gunsmith screwdriver set, there will be a bit that fits the bushing perfectly and allow you to apply more torque than you think you can. It will come right out with the right tool.

Maybe a small easy-out.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

The back of the bushings inside the frame look like they are pressed in. I think I may just suck it up and take it to a gunsmith to replace the bushing before I destroy something. On top of that I just noticed that my rear sight is loose. Luckily I just happen to have the tiny allen wrench that fits the set screws. The grips actually feel fairly stable with only the three screws, so it may not be as big of a crisis as I thought.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The right tools in the right hands usually works best. I often spend $25 trying to save $10.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    The timing of this thread is perfect. I was about to attempt to remove a set of bushings myself. I guess that's why there are gunsmiths.

Administrator
    Applicable To COLT 1911's - really I couldn't say regarding KIMBER.

You could try this (below) though since if you're going to take it to a gunsmith at this point anyway then you have absolutely nothing to lose by trying this yourself since any 1911 "smith" will already have an oversize grip screw bushing tap & oversize thread bushings.

The grip screw bushing is obviously already shot. Basically it's already "garbage" in your frame. No Problem.
    Since it's already "messed up" then don't worry about messing it up some more.

Get it hot with a soldering iron first in case yours are additionally Loc-Tited in & then quickly just grab it hard with a Vise Grips and simply turn it out.

The grip screw bushing metal is usually very mild steel so even if they are "staked in" then 99% of the time they will just deform and unstake themselves as they are turned out without ever damaging the pistol frame threads.

On the RARE remote chance that your frame threads DO get stripped then you can buy an oversize bushing tap and new oversize (threads) bushings from Brownell's and just replace that one bushing with an oversize thread bushing.

Or any gunsmith worth his salt will already have one.

I have removed MANY a Factory Colt grip screw bushing just by grabbing them with a Vise-Grip since my intention is always to replace them with Stainless bushings anyway & have never damaged or stripped any frame threads.

Though I have never done anything to a KIMBER because I've never owned one.

Found a local gunsmith this morning. Said it would cost about $25 or more depending on what all had to be done. Sure beats messing it up more.

Links