Ruger LCR in ,357 Magnum... My First Impressions

This is a discussion on Ruger LCR in ,357 Magnum... My First Impressions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Relative to extracting .357 cases. The method I use is an exuberant activation of the ejection rod and immediately thereafter, the fingers of the hand ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCR in ,357 Magnum... My First Impressions

Relative to extracting .357 cases. The method I use is an exuberant activation of the ejection rod and immediately thereafter, the fingers of the hand activating the ejection rod sweep across the base of the cylinder dislodging any stickees on their way to obtaining a speed loader for reloading.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

2. Remove Ads

The Hogue tamer grip these little revolvers come with is amazing. There is a noticeable difference in felt recoil when comparing to a Smith Airweight with the same ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Relative to extracting .357 cases. The method I use is an exuberant activation of the ejection rod and immediately thereafter, the fingers of the hand activating the ejection rod sweep across the base of the cylinder dislodging any stickees on their way to obtaining a speed loader for reloading.
    I've had my 357 LCR for about 2 months and had problems extracting cartridges from different manufacturers and Remington UMC 38 specials too. This sounds like the best method for me in order to do a reload in a reasonable amount of time and I will try it out when I go to the range later this week. My previous solution was just carrying my LCP as a BUG rather than worry about reloading the LCR. Both have been 100% reliable up to this point.
    Last edited by bluemarlin; June 8th, 2011 at 12:06 AM. Reason: add sentence at the end.

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    This past Sunday I met a few friends at the range and we shot my buddies .357 LCR and my .38 LCR. I was really impressed. I've been saying for a while now that I would like to have the .357 version because it give you more choices and it is a few ounces heavier. I now see one in my future.

Fine peacemaker for a super deal
    Only wish i could like the LCRs
    It's just what i'm look'n for including price
    I've handled both LCRs
    The weight difference felt somewhat substantial to me
    Off the top "me thinks" it's about 4oz difference,that's .38 vs 357
    I've got to handle that 357 one more time
    Didn't like the, however you describe it, angle when holding either gun.

new Lcr, and it rattles?

i just brought home a new ruger lcr, and i noticed when i handled it, that there is a rattle, like something is loose. i have not fired it yet.
    the rattle is coming from the hammer area.
    does anyone have any insight?

Mine has zero rattle. Take the grip screw out and inspect

Quote Originally Posted by wTiger View Post
    i just brought home a new ruger lcr, and i noticed when i handled it, that there is a rattle, like something is loose. i have not fired it yet.
    the rattle is coming from the hammer area.
    does anyone have any insight?
    I have the LCR in 38 and 357, and both rattle.

From the revolver FAQ page on Ruger's website: Select the Revolver FAQ.
    Like all newly manufactured Ruger revolvers, your LCR has a transfer bar safety system as part of the fire control mechanism. As a result, a hammer blow can be transmitted to the firing pin only when the trigger is pulled all the way to the rear. This is a positive internal safety feature. By design, the transfer bar is allowed some movement within the fire control mechanism so that trigger pull is not affected. Due to this necessary "play" in the transfer bar, a shooter will sometimes hear the transfer bar "rattle" when the revolver is shaken. This rattle caused by the play in the transfer bar is completely normal in the LCR.

Great review. I also have the LCR in .357 and it quickly became my primary carry gun. I replaced the front sight with the xs night sight. I also carry a reload in either a speed loader or speed strips. I prefer the speed strips at this point because I haven't found a speed loader that I feel really works well with the LCR. I currently use the HKS 36A loader

I reviewed it at 1200 rounds.... Ruger LCR 1200 Rounds and counting..... long term review

I have to get my 2K round review going. I also ordered a new style of speedloader and will report back when it arrives and I test it.

My 357 LCR has become my EDC. I had all kinds of S&W lightweight .357's and had a MagnaPorted SP101. There is something about the ergonomics and/or the flex of the polymer frame that IMHO makes my LCR much more comfortable and controllable to shoot with magnum loads than ANY of the others.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I reviewed it at 1200 rounds.... Ruger LCR 1200 Rounds and counting..... long term review

I have to get my 2K round review going. I also ordered a new style of speedloader and will report back when it arrives and I test it.
    have you posted your 2000 round review yet?

i just got the LCR 357. love it. one of the best pocket carry, EDC, BUG, etc. options out there.

Distinguished Member
    Good deal, I love my LCR .38 SPL. Really easy to carry.
    "Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Sig Sauer P250 2Sum 9mm, P250c 9mm - Glock 23 - Springfield Armory Loaded .45, XD Service 9mm - Ruger LCP, LCR, Smith & Wesson 638

NRA Member

I own one myself. I was impressed with the accuracy at distant targets. I was using Speer Gold Dot and hitting a sillouette target at 50 yards! I have constant pain in my hands so the .357s are pretty stout so I carry .38 Special +P in it for defensive purposes where I may need quick follow-up shots. In the woods however, I carry the big boys.

On another note, if anyone wants to purchase mine here in AL, I am selling it for $400 with a Fobus paddle holster. PM me if you are interested

Quote Originally Posted by texasKA View Post
    have you posted your 2000 round review yet?

i just got the LCR 357. love it. one of the best pocket carry, EDC, BUG, etc. options out there.
    Not yet, nothing really noteworthy to change. Normal wear, no failures, no issues. It is a reliable carry gun and it shoots well.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links