Scary thing happened to my Glock

This is a discussion on Scary thing happened to my Glock within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Maybe it's just me,but I never drop my gun 12 to 18 inches on anything intentionally,If I remove my weapon from my person I lay ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scary thing happened to my Glock

Maybe it's just me,but I never drop my gun 12 to 18 inches on anything intentionally,If I remove my weapon from my person I lay it on the table
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

I'd just picked it up off the desk to take it upstairs with me.

This may not have been an issue with the OEM mag in place. No way to know really. As long as you verify that the floor plate is installed correctly and the gun operates as expected, i wouldn't see any issues as long as you don't drop it on a consistant basis.
    If the gun really doesn't fit your hand well, might be time to pick up a G23. Keep the 27, both are .40 and it's always better to have 2 guns instead of just 1.

Administrator
    It clearly is not a Glock problem, its a Pierce problem, and more likely than that, an installation problem. I'd go back to the factory base plate and sleep well at night.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I added the Pierce +0 extension to 2 of my G29 mags. The first one was easy to install and clicked right in to place. I had a heck of a time getting the second one on correctly. I bet your extension was either never installed correctly or worked itself loose at some point, maybe as a result of the drop, maybe not. This is most certainly not a problem with the Glock however.

Quote Originally Posted by Sobered View Post
    I haven't lost faith in the Glock itself at all. But as stated, my hands do not fit on the Glock without the extender, which I have lost some faith in. Please don't take what I'm saying as a knock on Glock in the least.

I re-read my first post and see where the confusion lies. When I said I lost some faith in the Glock, I really should have said that I'd lost some faith in package as a whole, not the Glock itself.
    You bought a pocket gun and complain that your hands dont fit? That is like saying I bought this j-frame but it sucks because my hand doesnt fit on it or I bought a n lcp or p3at and blaming the manufacturer because my hand doesnt fit. Glock makes three sized models in that caliber. You should have handled them before you bought them.

Upgrade to a G23, it will fit your hand better

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerB View Post
    Upgrade to a G23, it will fit your hand better
    Yah i have big hands and g23 fits like glove and conceals well owb or iwb

I carry 180 winchester ammo and use lonewolf 9mm barrel for range practice

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    With any aftermarket items, you take your chances, especially after dropping it. There's a chance the end cap was never locked in to begin with and the drop was the final straw.
    +1. You never know. Murphy's Law though. I always check and double check things because of this.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Maybe it's just me,but I never drop my gun 12 to 18 inches on anything intentionally,If I remove my weapon from my person I lay it on the table
    i was wondering when someone was going to come up with this fact...you dropped loaded a gun a foot to a foot and a half onto a hard surface...and you wonder how something like this could happen?...oh i forgot...its just particle board so its no big deal...real responsible gun handling...

"this might be just the push i needed to get out of this gun"...being careless and having something go wrong is generally the push someone needs to be more careful with their tools and think about what they are doing....

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mattinfla View Post
    yet another in the long, distinguished lists of reasons to carry a spare magazine when carrying the pistol.
    always!

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    When in doubt, test fire it at the range. test also your unaffected mags if you have any. Unless the mag is broke, Glocks have no problems functioning even after being torture tested in the worst conditions. But if you have reliability problems, it's more likely the magazine than the pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    With any aftermarket items, you take your chances, especially after dropping it. There's a chance the end cap was never locked in to begin with and the drop was the final straw.
    I believe that that could be the problem.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

That happened because of the after market part on the mag. Put the regular base plate back on and you'll be good to go. You say it's hard to hold without it then get a G23. Keep the 27 for deeper concealment. It might be harder to hold but then again it's not a range gun that you're using it for. Also when you get the 23 you can use those mags in the 27 for reloads.

For most semi-autos, a plastic base is all that's holding your rounds in under pressure. Plastic breaks, it gets brittle with repeated exposure to heat (in car gun safe in summer while at work). Think about the thinnest (weakest) point how much actual plastic is holding. Other than my 1911 (steel base plates with plastic pads screwed into them), only one semi-manufacturer has thought of that issue in the factory magazine design. My Ruger P95. The steel inner plate locks in and will not come off unless pushed up and turned sideways. If the plastic breaks, it is unlikely that the rounds will come out. I also bought an after market mag for it with steel base plate. It had slight corners on the front and noticable when carrying IWB. A few swipes on the grinder and some POR 15 black and it is smooth and looks factory. I've never figured out why any manufacturer uses plastic base plates. I'm sure there are others out there, but out of my 6 semi-autos this is the only one other than the 1911.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links