Scary thing happened to my Glock - Page 3

Scary thing happened to my Glock

This is a discussion on Scary thing happened to my Glock within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The two most important things I have learned with carry guns is 1: Make sure it fits you and your needs in everyway or it ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Scary thing happened to my Glock

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    The two most important things I have learned with carry guns is 1: Make sure it fits you and your needs in everyway or it isn't doing it job! 2: Keep everything stock!!!! Ammo, Mags, Releases, ETC STOCK STOCK STOCK!!!!
    There is room for all kinds of guns in the world of all shapes and sizes but not all guns can fit all needs for all people.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Just another reason that I don't want grip extensions. People buy a G27 because it is small and easy to conceal, then they make the grip larger. Why not just get a G23 to start with?

VIP Member
    Thanks for another reason why I carry a revolver.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Your problem is that you are blowing this way out of proportion. I would just put the magazine back together, put all the rounds back in it, fire it for a function test, and stop worrying.

I have had this happen with stock Glock mags as well. It all depends on how you dropped it and how it hit the ground. This has nothing to do with it being an aftermarket part or stock part. You dropped the gun directly on the magazine and the baseplate shot off. NOT A BIG DEAL. As others have said this is why you carry an extra magazine.

I personally carry my Glock 27 with a Pearce +1 baseplate and have had no issues with any failures in thousands of rounds. And yes I have dropped my Glock 27 during training and had the same thing happen to me. I didn't worry, fret, lose confidence, or stress out about it....I just simply put it back together, fired it to make sure it was in proper working order and moved on.

There is no reason to lose confidence in the gun or the overall package and don't let any crazy people try to talk you out of carrying +1.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

I carried a G23 for 14 years. Thousands of rounds through her by using 8 different magazines. Several of which had the Glock +2 floor plates installed and not a single failure of any kind in all those rounds. This really isn't a after market bash, it can happen any time you strip a magazine or firearm for that matter and don't get it installed properly. You should have check to make sure the floor plate has " clicked " or locked into position. I also don't recommend dropping your " life saving instrument " from 12-18" away unless it is falling on a mattress. YMMV.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

dee
    Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Sobered do not panic, lose faith or sell your Glock. As has been mentioned it is possible the the floorplate was not fully locked in place to begin with. It is also possible that even though a short drop it hit at just the right angle to disengage the floorplate.
    With the floorplate on now can you push it off while loaded or unloaded? This situation has nothing to do with the reliability of the gun itself. Instead of the grip extension get a model 19 mag and there is a "filler" that can be placed on to fill in the gap of the longer mag
    If all else fails trade for a model 19, just a bit bigger and a full size grip.

Just some ideas.
    Great ideas i find from you. I have large hands and the G19's i have and the G32 same 19 platform but in .357sig. I cannot get into the baby glocls even with extensions the 19 platform works for me EDC. I bet the floor plate was not locked into place. Simple opererator error no one's immune from doing the same. Lesson learned if you use ext. or anything other than the stock floorplate be certain the plate is locked.

I won't attempt to drill into you what others have already said about aftermarket parts and proper installation. Dropping a pistol is one of those things I'll never forgive. Just like loosing control of your vehicle..........unforgiven. Anyway, I've used and employed plenty of aftermarket products on my Glock magazines. I've learned plenty through the trials, and seldom had problems. I have had the base fail a couple of times at the matches, and it was due to my own fault and installation. Knowing what I know, I seldom have problems with the Glock add-ons with the magazines. I'm sort of seasoned in this.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I won't attempt to drill into you what others have already said about aftermarket parts and proper installation. Dropping a pistol is one of those things I'll never forgive. Just like loosing control of your vehicle..........unforgiven. Anyway, I've used and employed plenty of aftermarket products on my Glock magazines. I've learned plenty through the trials, and seldom had problems. I have had the base fail a couple of times at the matches, and it was due to my own fault and installation. Knowing what I know, I seldom have problems with the Glock add-ons with the magazines. I'm sort of seasoned in this.
    You probably are the go to man for this thread!
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

RKM
    As everybody else said, aftermarket part and possible installation error. And honestly, even if it is a serious issue with the magazine, it's JUST a magazine. Big deal. Buy another one... or two, or three. It had nothing to do with the gun itself. You said the gun had a chambered round. It didn't go off did it? the drop safety must be working pretty good then. Be happy about that.

I too , am using the Pearce extension on my G27 mags.
    It takes amazingly little effort to pop them off. I can see how this could be a problem.

I also have the Scherer brand extensions, and they lock up tight on the mag, just like the stock base.
    The reason I switched out the Scherer for the Pearce brand, was because the Pearce's stipling better matched that of the Glock.

Going with the Scherer would solve your issue.

Mr. Murphy is alive and well.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

There's a chance the end cap was never locked in to begin with and the drop was the final straw.
    I'd say this is the most likely, given that it's the Pearce magazine base we're speaking of.

Of course, without a battery of tests comparing the bases, it would be hard to say with any certainty that a given magazine base of very similar design was more or less likely to fail in the exact same circumstances as the factory one. Given the degree of force that could be applied in such a situation described, I can see a spring allowing the little nub to come out of the hole on the average magazine base. But I think it's far more likely the nub wasn't securely in the hole in the first place. Guesses, only. You'll likely never know.

Data Points

In each of the following examples, I have actually used or seen/handled the Pearce magazine base alternatives to the factory bases.

On the Kahr PM9 and P380, for example, the magazine's "lock" (or plate at the bottom of the spring) has a little nub or button on the underside that fits into a hole in the magazine base. That little nub is relatively small in diameter and not very tall. It's absolutely possible to mistake the engagement for having positively locked into place. If that were to happen, it's easy to see how the magazine base could slip right off ... either the factory base or the Pearce base.

On the NAA 380 Guardian, the magazine's plate also has a nub that fits into a hole on the base. Same thing: if not positively engaged, which is relatively easy to do unless a fairly solid "click" is heard and the nub is seen to click into the hole in the base, it's quite possible to have the base fall off the magazine.

On the H&K P2000SK, the factory supplies curved pinkie extension bases on the factory magazines already, so there's no need for a Pearce after-market alternative. But the overall diameter and height of the nub/button on the underside of the plate is absolutely HUGE, as compared to those of the Kahrs or the NAA 380. Still, if a Pearce base were to come as just the base (instead of a base+plate), it would need to be designed with a hole in the base just as thick and large in diameter in order to grab the nub from the floor plate.

On the Glock 19, 26 and others, the magazine bases are made similarly to those described above, with a hole in the base that the nub in the floor plate fits into. While I don't have a G19 or G26 myself, various internet photos show it's much the same as described above.

Below is a photo from the H&K P2000 manual showing the factory "locking plate" (base plate) and "floor plate" (base):
    Attached Images
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

yeah, not a problem with the gun itself, probably just a poor installation
    If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?

Even an admitted fierce glock hater like me will say it's not the glock, it's an improper install, or the fact that you dropped a handgun 18 inches onto a hard surface.

It didn't go off, even it hit with enough force to knock a base plate off.

If anything, you should be proud of the legendary quality of Glock, and praise how well the safety worked.

Ditch the grip extension in my opinion. I hope it all works out well for you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links