Question for users that have the KelTec PF9 and other 380 pocket guns

Question for users that have the KelTec PF9 and other 380 pocket guns

This is a discussion on Question for users that have the KelTec PF9 and other 380 pocket guns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In another post you will see that I plan on getting a PF9 *hopefully* this Saturday at a show. I was just wondering how the ...

Thread: Question for users that have the KelTec PF9 and other 380 pocket guns

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar

Thumbs up Question for users that have the KelTec PF9 and other 380 pocket guns

In another post you will see that I plan on getting a PF9 *hopefully* this Saturday at a show. I was just wondering how the recoil is with the PF9 compared to shooting some of the smaller 380 pocket pistols like the LCP, TCP, etc. Does anyone have any experience with shooting these ?? I had a TCP and currently have the Bodyguard 380 and shooting these are no problem for me. I also have a Taurus Slim PT709 which is a tad larger than the PF9. I am interesting to hear people's experience. Thanks again for any info. God Bless

I own a couple of PF-9s and several P3ATs. I also own some Mustang PocketLite Colts and a Walther PPK and have shot one of the little Diamondback .380s. Recoil is a very subjective thing, but here are my impressions: The PF-9 is snappier than any .380 I've ever shot, but no less comfortable to shoot than a P3AT. To me, the Diamondback has a little less felt recoil, and the Mustangs have a LOT less. The PPK is big and heavy enough that it has less recoil, but as a blowback, it has more than one might expect in a gun of its weight. None of these guns is much fun to shoot extensively on the range, but none of them are going to hurt the shooter like a truly hard-recoiling gun can; say, a .454 Casull.

I got rid of my PF9 in less than six months; in addition to the recoil, the feeding problems and the poor accuracy: it just didn't work for me. Hope you have a better experience. My LCP has less recoil, my MicroDesertEagle (also .380) is a joy to shoot, but they're not 9mm's. I've found mid sized guns in both 9mm and .45 are much more fun at the range, more accurate and provide ample calibre than any pocket pistol I've shot. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    In another post you will see that I plan on getting a PF9 *hopefully* this Saturday at a show. I was just wondering how the recoil is with the PF9 compared to shooting some of the smaller 380 pocket pistols like the LCP, TCP, etc. Does anyone have any experience with shooting these ?? I had a TCP and currently have the Bodyguard 380 and shooting these are no problem for me. I also have a Taurus Slim PT709 which is a tad larger than the PF9. I am interesting to hear people's experience. Thanks again for any info. God Bless
    I've shot (but do not own) A pf9. I found it to be snapier then my Ruger LCP.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I've had a P3AT for several years. I EDC it in a DeSantis Nemisis pocket holster. IT IS NOT A RANGE GUN. I shoot it only enough to be proficient with it and to satisfy myself as to its reliability. So far, with almost 300 rnds. through it, it has been flawless. Kel-Tec now makes a 9 rnd. extended mag. which gives more rnds. and a better grip. It somewhat compromises the concealability so I often carry with the factory mag. and carry the extended mag. as my spare. After shooting more than 2 mags. my thumb and palm are sore. I believe most of the negative comments about FTF's are due to limp wristing. It's a hard gun to hold and no fun to shoot. If you want fun, don't buy one. If you want maximum concealability at a reasonable price, go for it. I will be looking at a Rohrbaugh 9mm next.

I've got a P3AT as well and while it's not exactly a pleasure to shoot like a G19 it certainly isn't a bone breaking hand cannon or anything. It does exactly what it's supposed to do... conceal exceptionally well and reliably deliver multiple rounds rapidly to a target anywhere under 7-10 yards. Never had a FTF and have around 250ish rounds through it. It's not my range gun either.

I've shot a PF9 once and thought it was just about the same. Not something I would purchase for a range gun but it will certainly do it's intended function.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I found it to be snapier then my Ruger LCP.
    Agreed! If you can, PLEASE try one first before buying it. Mine was flawless in feeding but the recoil was extremely harsh and I ain't no lighweight either.
    I ended up selling it and I MADE SURE the buyer was aware of the pain to shoot issue I had with it. And I encouraged him to bring it back for a full refund if it was a problem for him. That was almost two months ago so I can only assume he is more of a man than I am. Or, he too ended up selling it.

FWIW, Kel-Tec has excellent customer service.

Best!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

I think that a PF9 (I have shot my sister's PF9) would have more "kick" than most any 380 out there. It doesn't weigh too much more than most of the 380's out now. I have a Sig P232 in Stainless and can shoot it all day long without a problem. But then again, I find very little difference between my G22 and any 9mm that I have shot. So maybe it's just me.
    All that said, I really like the PF9, it is accurate enough for me and the recoil isn't too bad. After 35-40 rounds, the trigger digging into my trigger finger, a bit each shot, starts to get uncomfortable. While I can put 200 rounds through my G19, I would probably stop at 50 with the PF9. That's still enough to practice with for any one day.
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member
    Thugs that comply, don't die!
    Thugs that comply, don't die!
    Repeat...

I have a P3AT and got my first PF9 4 years ago. I enjoy shooting both but usually stick to around 50rds/session. A Handall Jr slip on grip helps a lot.

My PF9 was a pain to shoot. that is when it wasn't jamming or having the mag release every other shot.

I have both. I think the P3AT is a snappier pistol to shoot because of the smaller grip. My PF9 came with a Hogue grip wrap. I don't find either of the two pistol recoils bothersome.
    Whitestone Castle Armory, Austin TX
    http://www.wcarmory.com/
    Stuff For Sale http://forsale.wcptexas.com

I've had my P-3AT for over 7 years. I do not enjoy shooting it a lot at the range, but then, it's not really a range gun.
    I keep the 'flawless' .380 for an up close, in your eye, BUG...sometimes the only carry to the store around the corner.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    My PF9 was a pain to shoot. that is when it wasn't jamming or having the mag release every other shot.
    The mag releasing is likely not a mechanical malfunction, but a result of your grip. Your right thumb is hitting the mag release during recoil, I have a tendency to do the same thing. I have to concentrate on keeping my thumb high to avoid it.

Sponsored Links