new Ruger LCP w/ range report

This is a discussion on new Ruger LCP w/ range report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; just bought a new Ruger LCP from Gander Mountain for $299.00 and must say,i'm very impressed with this little pistol. after cleaning the gun and ...

Thread: new Ruger LCP w/ range report

new Ruger LCP w/ range report

just bought a new Ruger LCP from Gander Mountain for $299.00 and must say,i'm very impressed with this little pistol. after cleaning the gun and racking the slide a few hundred times i headed out to the range to try it out.i began with 100rds of Blazer FMJ's, 50rds of Mag Tech FMJ's, 50rds of Winchester FMJ's, and 20rds of Winchester PDX1 JHP's..not one single malfunction,100% flawless..trigger pull is long and does take some getting use to.sights are ok if you can find em :) the LCP was about as accurate as you could expect from something this small,with almost no sights.. i was hitting targets fairly consistently at 5-7yrds but didn't try anything past 7yrds..so far,no regrets seems perfect for what it's intended for..
    Attached Images
    Last edited by crue2009; October 22nd, 2010 at 09:03 AM.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    What did you think of the kick/bite? I love this little gun, but it truly hurts my hand to shoot it. I think it has more to do with the shape than the recoil.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I agree because it is so narrow it does seem to bite with SD ammo. That won't stop me from shooting or carrying it when I can't carry my usual EDC.

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    What did you think of the kick/bite? I love this little gun, but it truly hurts my hand to shoot it. I think it has more to do with the shape than the recoil.
    yup,it's handful to shoot due to it's light weight and thinness but so easy to conceal.my hand was sore after shooting for a couple hours,but left i the range feeling confident in this little gun..i will try it with the mag extension and a Hogue Handall jr.grip next and see if that helps..

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I don't think Ruger (or anyone else) designs pocket guns for extended range times or taking down woodchucks at 100 yards. They're for up close SD and buyers should keep that in mind. My hand gets a bit tender after 100 or so rounds through my Glock 30 (recoil or old age?) but if I'm going through 100 rounds with some BG, I've brought the wrong gun to the wrong fight.

Good to hear yours worked well out of the box. So many firearms seem to have issues of some sort. Now that you're satisfied with its reliability and accuracy (within its limits)--don't leave home without it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I don't think Ruger (or anyone else) designs pocket guns for extended range times or taking down woodchucks at 100 yards. They're for up close SD and buyers should keep that in mind. My hand gets a bit tender after 100 or so rounds through my Glock 30 (recoil or old age?) but if I'm going through 100 rounds with some BG, I've brought the wrong gun to the wrong fight.

Good to hear yours worked well out of the box. So many firearms seem to have issues of some sort. Now that you're satisfied with its reliability and accuracy (within its limits)--don't leave home without it.
    OldVet said it perfectly. Enjoy your new LCP, the gun that can go anywhere. I love mine and carry it at a minimum every day.

GM
    Glad that you enjoy it.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    Adding a Pachmayr #4 slip-on grip and notching out for the mag release helps imensly.
    1.JPG
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

I liked mine so much I bought a second one to put on the shelf for later use.

LCP X 2.jpg
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Crue,
    There is another rubber grip thats slightly thicker and more comfortable than the Hogue jr, its called Limbsaver by SVL (Sims Vibration Laboratory)
    It costs about $9.95, I think the model # for the LCP is 12013. One of the other members gave me the heads up on it.

Sounds very good crue2009. Congratulations on your new handgun!
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Congrats on your new pistol.
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

Congratulations! Just stoke it with a heavy duty bonded HP (like PDX1 from Winchester) or FMJ ball ammo and you'll be good to go. Penetration is the key with a 380 ACP; standard HP's come up short compared to bonded bullets.
    Aim for the Thoracic Triangle Area between the armpits and the base of throat.

1. Shot Placement: Center Mass Between the Armpits & Base of Throat
    2. Heavy for Caliber Bullet Weight / Construction
    3. Choice of Caliber

Links