Own a Kahr PM9 and a Glock 26

This is a discussion on Own a Kahr PM9 and a Glock 26 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Keep your G26....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Own a Kahr PM9 and a Glock 26

Keep your G26.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

2. Remove Ads

My PM9 has from day one worked by racking the first round in or by the slide release, most PM9s are fine after a 200 rounds or so, mine has been flawless through 530 rounds so far, however, one stove pipe in my G19 in the first 300 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    That's right. So the question to ask yourself, if you own a Kahr (that requires the use of the slide release) and other pistols (which can be racked using the overhand method) is...are you going to use different techniques for different pistols? (bad idea)...or are you going to use the lowest common denominator and use the slide release on all of them, because that is the only reliable way to load a Kahr? IMHO that is also a bad idea, because under stress, the overhand method is better.

Thus - my congratulations to the OP for deciding to keep the Glock and sell the Kahr...

I don't own a Glock (though I'd like a 19 and I'll probably get one), but I do have a Kahr P9.

I've had it for 2 months and I have 600 rounds through it. It has functioned perfectly from the first round. No failures of any kind.

The only way I load the first round is with the overhand method -- I don't use the slide release. To say Kahrs won't do that just isn't true. Treat it like a Glock and if it doesn't work that way for you, ditch it.

Obviously the reliability of Kahrs is hit and miss -- you've had 3 -- but those that work work great.

No doubt there are some Kahr pistols that will tolerate being loaded using the overhand method. However, those seem to be the exception rather than the rule...otherwise, I doubt Kahr's manual would specifically state to use the slide release.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

No doubt there are some Kahr pistols that will tolerate being loaded using the overhand method. However, those seem to be the exception rather than the rule...otherwise, I doubt Kahr's manual would specifically state to use the slide release.
    - I can also use the overhand method on all three of my Kahr pistols (MK9, PM9, P380). I think the main problem is that the springs on the Kahr are very tight and a lot of people can't manually rack the first round reliably, which is why Kahr recommends using the slide release to chamber the first round. The other problem is that people may need to break the gun in a little before it becomes easier.

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - I can also use the overhand method on all three of my Kahr pistols (MK9, PM9, P380). I think the main problem is that the springs on the Kahr are very tight and a lot of people can't manually rack the first round reliably, which is why Kahr recommends using the slide release to chamber the first round. The other problem is that people may need to break the gun in a little before it becomes easier.
    I dunno. Both my PM9s were well past the break-in period, and this issue never ceased, unless I used FMJ-RN or PowRBall ammo. Even if you are correct, it brings up another issue - Kahr recommends changing the recoil spring on the PM9 every 1000 rounds (per a conversation I had with them after mine started having failures returning fully to battery at the 1200-round point)...so you have to start the "break-in" all over again every time you change the spring(?). You need to find the "sweet spot" between reliable overhand loading, and reliably returning into battery?

Ugh. No thanks. Again, this is why I think the OP made a wise choice in keeping his Glock. You just do not have these issues and concerns in the back of your mind with the Glocks. That peace of mind is WELL worth the slight increase in size and weight, IMHO. And as a bonus, you get greater capacity and better control. Been there, done that.

And while I'm no "Ah-nold," I think I have enough strength to rack a bloody pistol slide...
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Actually, I just got used to popping the slide release lever on everything I shoot to rack the first round, and it seems to work fine.

I picture it this way: if I were in need of a second mag in a situation, popping out the first mag with my right thumb while grabbing the second mag with my left hand, then slamming the second mag in with my left hand and releasing the slide with my right thumb, seems a pretty smooth transition were I ever in a situation. So I just practice it that way, and have yet to have a failure. It seems that it's a quicker route to firing a shot from a second mag.
    Last edited by bigmacque; October 26th, 2010 at 08:32 AM. Reason: added 'I shoot'
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    deafdave, let me know how that offer to buy the glock works out .... if you can pull that off I'd bet we could build a great business around that skill.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    Actually, I just got used to popping the slide release lever on everything I shoot to rack the first round, and it seems to work fine.

I picture it this way: if I were in need of a second mag in a situation, popping out the first mag with my right thumb while grabbing the second mag with my left hand, then slamming the second mag in with my left hand and releasing the slide with my right thumb, seems a pretty smooth transition were I ever in a situation. So I just practice it that way, and have yet to have a failure. It seems that it's a quicker route to firing a shot from a second mag.
    You're correct - it is faster that way IF everything goes smoothly.

A gunfight is not a range session, however. Under stress, there is less risk of flubbing the reload by using the overhand method than there is using the slide release lever/button. JMHO.
    CT Lasers

I dunno. Both my PM9s were well past the break-in period, and this issue never ceased, unless I used FMJ-RN or PowRBall ammo. Even if you are correct, it brings up another issue - Kahr recommends changing the recoil spring on the PM9 every 1000 rounds (per a conversation I had with them after mine started having failures returning fully to battery at the 1200-round point)...so you have to start the "break-in" all over again every time you change the spring(?). You need to find the "sweet spot" between reliable overhand loading, and reliably returning into battery?
    - I've changed the spring and still did not have any issue with using the overhand method. That being said, I almost always use the slide release to chamber a round on every gun I own. I just find it much easier.

Again, this is why I think the OP made a wise choice in keeping his Glock. You just do not have these issues and concerns in the back of your mind with the Glocks. That peace of mind is WELL worth the slight increase in size and weight, IMHO. And as a bonus, you get greater capacity and better control.
    - I'm not going to disagree with you. I even recommended keeping the Glock earlier in this thread. It's a less finicky gun in general and doesn't have any caveats to work 100% of the time. If Glock came out with a single stack 9mm, I would buy it in an instant.

Glock

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - I've changed the spring and still did not have any issue with using the overhand method. That being said, I almost always use the slide release to chamber a round on every gun I own. I just find it much easier.

- I'm not going to disagree with you. I even recommended keeping the Glock earlier in this thread. It's a less finicky gun in general and doesn't have any caveats to work 100% of the time. If Glock came out with a single stack 9mm, I would buy it in an instant.
    Ive never used the slide stop/release to chamber the first round. My PM9 has been flawless to date as well. I only ditched my 26, because the size difference wasnt enough to make me carry it over my 19. But the PM9 gave me another mode of carry, although not preferred, in the pocket. However, if Glock put out a single stack 9mm like you said, i would jump on it in a heart beat, no questions asked! Amazingly though, I have done some of my best shooting with the PM9- I still cant figure that one out?!?!?
    CC:
    Glock 19 Gen 3 in a Brommeland Max Con V
    Glock 26 Gen 4 in a Brommeland Max Con V
    Karh PM9 in a Isotope 7 (made by Gary Brommeland)
    Home Protection:
    Mossberg 500 and Kimber Custom II 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by leathernuts View Post
    However, if Glock put out a single stack 9mm like you said, i would jump on it in a heart beat, no questions asked!
    - This is one of the great mysteries of our time. I would imagine that a single stack Glock 9mm would be an incredible seller, especially in the U.S. CCW market.

Quote Originally Posted by leathernuts View Post
    Amazingly though, I have done some of my best shooting with the PM9- I still cant figure that one out?!?!?
    - Same here. I shoot extremely well with my MK9 and PM9. I only improved after adding a Crimson Trace to the PM9.

Keep the glock
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

If they are both equally comfortable I'd probably keep the glock. I think people choose the smaller PM9 due to it's thin profile and easy conceal-ability. If thats not a concern I'd definitely go the glock route if only due to the higher capacity. I guess its also nice the glock can take all the 9mm glock mags.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links