Suggestions for a new 1911

This is a discussion on Suggestions for a new 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking for new 1911... Have it narrowed down to a kimber crimson/ultra carry... Or a Colt... What should I do??? Thanks!...

View Poll Results: Which Should I Buy?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buy the Kimber

22 30.56%
  • Buy the Colt

50 69.44%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for a new 1911

Looking for new 1911... Have it narrowed down to a kimber crimson/ultra carry... Or a Colt... What should I do???

Thanks!

Avoid the Kimber

How much gunsmithing do you want to do or pay for? In general, you'll get $200-$350 worth of gunsmithing on a Kimber for the same price as a Colt that needs the work that was already done on the Kimber. I own about a dozen Kimbers and several Colts. Despite all the internet horror stories of QC issues with Kimbers, most of them are great guns, and when there is a problem, it is usually a small one. Most Colt 1911-types need overall dehorning, a proper beavertail, mag well bevel, replacement of thumb safety and possibly other internals, spring rebalance, a trigger job and it may need new sights. A typical Kimber will need nothing but a trigger job and sight adjustment. The only 1911-ish type pistols I've ever had in for repairs that simply needed to be melted down into boat anchors were a Colt Defender, a Series 70 Government Model and a late-production (early 1990s) Commander. I got them all running and told their owners to do their best to trade them off at the first opportunity unless they planned to use them only on the range; all had serious dimensional defects. Have I seen Kimbers with problems? Yes, absolutely; but their problems have been pretty easily fixed. Excusable? Not really, but such is the world of firearm QC today.

If you get an Ultra Carry or another 3" gun, remember that you will need to replace recoil springs at intervals of no more than 1000 rounds, and 750 is better. Replacing the original mainspring with a 23 or 25 lb. spring will lengthen the life of recoil springs a little, and heavy-duty magazine springs are a good idea, too. Replacing the firing pin stop with a flat-bottom stop from EGW will give you even greater functional margin of error in these little guns, slowing unlocking so that the slide velocity is not quite so high.

I own a Kimber Ultra CDP 11 it's been 100% I assume if you are looking at the smaller 1911's so I guess the Colt would be the "Defender" I have heard a lot of positive comments on that one also. I think either would be a good choice. I realize that's not much help to you, but just my opinion.

GM
    I like Colts and I like the Defender a lot, but the Ultra Carry is a very nice gun too. Your choice; both of them are very good firearms.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Colt!!
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Get a Glock 21 and forget about having work done by the gunsmith, new springs every few hundred rounds, etc. It works fine as is holds more rounds also.

Now it's time to duck and cover.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Get a Glock 21 and forget about having work done by the gunsmith, new springs every few hundred rounds, etc. It works fine as is holds more rounds also.

Now it's time to duck and cover.
    Well, other than the grip reduction you need to make it fit a human-size hand and point roughly in the direction of an intended target, the replacement of the plastic sights, and the trigger job...

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnLeVick View Post
    Well, other than the grip reduction you need to make it fit a human-size hand and point roughly in the direction of an intended target, the replacement of the plastic sights, and the trigger job...
    That was good
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    Both are great, I would get the Kimber for the money.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Administrator
    Usually the moderators will delete any & all off topic "Buy A Glock" comments.

The OP question is: "Colt or Kimber?"

I don't see any possible choice option beginning with a "G" up in that poll...only a "C" & a "K."

Please stay on topic to the poll.

Oh...& Get the Colt...BTW.

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    No experience with the Colt and little experience with the Kimber, but I will tell you that I have a Kimber, although it is a Pro Carry II, and I love it. I have had Glocks, Smith and Wessons and a few others, and this by far is the best firearm I have had, it has been 100% flawless except for two Fail to feeds which I contribute to user error. Oh, this also my first 1911.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

I have both a Kimber Compact and a Colt New Agent. I love them both, but I voted for the Kimber. Both guns have been flawless and were the same price, so I really have no reason to vote for either over the other.

I was deciding between the two as they are both nice pistols.

After lot's of debating, I purchased the Colt and have never regreted it.

I have two Kimbers (Ultra and a Compact...both CDP's) and have never had a problem. There are some who have had difficulties with a Kimber or any other make/model, but in my experiences, it is the complainers who bother to verbalize their problems. The satisfied customers seldom speak up.
    I would not hesitate to recommend the Kimber line...great guns!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links