I think our Glock doesn't like me

This is a discussion on I think our Glock doesn't like me within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was looking forward to a day out shooting the Glock. It was a nice day and everything was going good until I started to ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I think our Glock doesn't like me

Distinguished Member Array pinklady's Avatar

I was looking forward to a day out shooting the Glock. It was a nice day and everything was going good until I started to shoot. Well I lost count of how many spent casings hit me before it threw a hot casing down my shirt and branded me in a very sensitive area. I thought I had covered up enough to avoid this happening but I guess not. Does anyone else have a problem with casings constantly hitting them?

Administrator
    First member to ask for PICS gets banned for a week.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Is your week (month, year?) so ugly as that?

Sarcasm. It's gotta be.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post

Pinklady, does it happen with different brands of ammo?
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post

Pinklady, does it happen with different brands of ammo?
    I have used two different brands of ammo. They both did the same.

Your new Glock will do that sometimes. Actually, the more you grow accustomed to it and (break it in), you'll learn. Best idea......ball cap. Think of this as PPE for the range (LOL!) Tight extractor, or a two-hand hold can make this happen. A new Glock, and someone new to Glock will also have a tendency to lay spent brass within a 30' radius on the strong side. Once broken in (or the shooter), brass should go over your strong hand shoulder. Every once in a while, even my seasoned Glocks will throw one straight back at the range and hit me in the middle of my safety glasses (and I always wear a ball cap). Oddly enough, in competition, they throw them all over the place. The feeling of hot brass against your skin is just like the smell of gunpowder in the morning when the air is heavy and the fog just starts to lift. Sort of like that first cup of coffee. It lets you know you're alive! LOL! Don't let small things set you back. Glock on!

As long as it reliably launches lead out the other end, I don't worry much about where the spent casings go.

Let someone else shoot your gun, and see if they experience the same thing.

Oh - and wear a ball cap, shooting glasses, long sleeves, and a tight collar to the range.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

You're not alone

This has happened to me with a couple of pistols. One in particular was in fact a glock. Can't remember if it were my old G23 or G27. The other one is my walther P99C but it doesn't always do it to me. Does yours do it littally every shot? I would say that unfortunately u couldhave an odd ball extractor. Not defected as itdoes 'work' per se. More info needed.

kpw
    My daughter's M&P will toss them back at her with some ammo. Hotter seems better. It doesn't seem to do it to me though. Does it happen to tkruf?
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Your new Glock will do that sometimes. Actually, the more you grow accustomed to it and (break it in), you'll learn. Best idea......ball cap. Think of this as PPE for the range (LOL!) Tight extractor, or a two-hand hold can make this happen. A new Glock, and someone new to Glock will also have a tendency to lay spent brass within a 30' radius on the strong side. Once broken in (or the shooter), brass should go over your strong hand shoulder. Every once in a while, even my seasoned Glocks will throw one straight back at the range and hit me in the middle of my safety glasses (and I always wear a ball cap). Oddly enough, in competition, they throw them all over the place. The feeling of hot brass against your skin is just like the smell of gunpowder in the morning when the air is heavy and the fog just starts to lift. Sort of like that first cup of coffee. It lets you know you're alive! LOL! Don't let small things set you back. Glock on!
    I knew I was alive alright when that went down my shirt.

My daughter's M&P will toss them back at her with some ammo. Hotter seems better. It doesn't seem to do it to me though. Does it happen to tkruf?
    Not as much as it does her. I've been pinged only about 3 times in the approximate 220 rounds we've put through the gun at this point. For her, it's like it's raining casings on her.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Administrator
    The thread topic is cartridge brass ejecting from a semi-automatic firearm in an undesired direction and possible suggestions from GLOCK aficionados and/or Glock Armorers on how to best correct that problem.

Forum Rules Page ~ Rule #5 as per Bumper.

We have a number of female members on the forum and hope to attract more for their unique perspective and experiences.
    We do not, however, have "gender specific" forums.
    They are regarded as individuals that carry a concealed weapon that just happen to be female.
    They will not be subjected to sexual innuendo as a part of their membership.
    Be warned, there is zero tolerance regarding this particular rule.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Is your week (month, year?) so ugly as that?

Sarcasm. It's gotta be.

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Not as much as it does her. I've been pinged only about 3 times in the approximate 220 rounds we've put through the gun at this point. For her, it's like it's raining casings on her.
    Kinda thought so, you've got a stronger grip. Try using the hottest practice ammo you can find and see if you can get her grip any higher on the gun. That might help. Eventually the recoil spring will settle in a bit and ejection should normalize some.
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Is the brass bouncing off anything? Plywood between lanes, celling? anything? Sometimes taking a step back will prevent lane "reflections"

Tight collars and tight sleeves help prevent this sort of thing.

To state the obvious: one should keep proper muzzle control in case you are being burned by hot brass. Put put the firearm down before fishing it out...
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Kinda thought so, you've got a stronger grip. Try using the hottest practice ammo you can find and see if you can get her grip any higher on the gun. That might help. Eventually the recoil spring will settle in a bit and ejection should normalize some.
    Her grip is high up. First time she shot it she got a little cut on her knuckle. First thought looking at her thumb, you'd think slide bite, but there is no way that slide made contact with her knuckle. She had that knuckle up under that "beavertail". Today it didn't cut her like last time (which is good), but I was watching her, she had that knuckle up under the beavertail. She just doesn't have as strong wrist as I do.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links