Thoughts on Taurus Millenium pro 9mm

This is a discussion on Thoughts on Taurus Millenium pro 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a glock 19 and a XD sub .40 in the house now,never fired. Looking at a taurus Mill. pro 9mm for backup piece ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Taurus Millenium pro 9mm

I have a glock 19 and a XD sub .40 in the house now,never fired. Looking at a taurus Mill. pro 9mm
    for backup piece and or EDC along with the others. Sons in the military so I'm giving him the G19.
    Has or does anyone carry a taurus Pro 9mm? if so feedback on this gun would be great!

Thanks all!
    Last edited by bikerboy; October 24th, 2010 at 08:19 AM.
    NRA Member
    99 Harley superglide
    Sig P239
    My son is Navy

My wife has one for edc and she likes it. I can't seem to work the straight eight sights, but she shoots well with it. I have heard some not so good things about this gun, but we have had no problems. It feeds any ammo we put through it and is easy to shoot, conceal, and clean. Good luck on your quest.
    FW21

I have this gun in the .40 flavor. I love it, fits me well, shoot well. No issues at all.

Got the pt145 love it over 2000 rounds down the pipe no probs at all. I had a pt111 at one time loved it to never a prob I traded it for an AR because I like the 45 better.

No problems with my pt111 9mm. However been carrying my 19 or 26 100% of the time since I got them. I do shoot alot better with my Glocks. The straight 8 sights on the Taurus don't work all that great for me, but thats just me..
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Had the 9mm Millennium Pro and after about 500 rounds the trigger broke. Something internal. At that moment I lost faith in my Taurus. I loved the feel of it in my hand. I sent it back to Taurus and they did fix it. Got it back in about 4 weeks and sold it. Replaced it with the S&W m&p instead.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

VIP Member
    It would be a nightmare if someone told me I would have to trade in my M&P or Glock for a Taurus. Get another Glock or an M&P.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I've heard some things about the gun's relative reliability and related issues, too. But then, in opting for trying some other alternatives, I have also experienced quite a number of guns in which I've had marginal reliability (and that's a generous term).

Don't carry one, myself. I've seen a few around the range. I have asked many different people about their experience with it, whether they liked it. It seems to be very popular. In terms of price, size and features, it is a great value.

I like the size, shape and overall package of the Millennium Pro PT-111 Ti 12rd pistol, which I recently handled at a local store. While it feels much thicker than the Glock 19, at a half-inch shorter and a bit lighter, it competes well on size of the package. Assuming you get one that ends up being highly reliable, I can see it being a very useful pistol. Good choice.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have the predecessor PT111, the non-"Pro" Millennium in 9mm. It was my first compact 9mm, and it has the same action as the Pro models but the Pros carry more rounds in the mag and have a slightly different shape to the grip as a result.

I like the grip of the PT111 far better than that of the comparably-sized Glock 26, even though the grip requires me to curl the pinky finger under the butt. How it feels in the hand, though, is a highly personal thing.

The PT111 trigger is the epitome of the DAO action - it had a LONG pull with what seems to be fairly constant force. The pull is long enough that once you've gotten used to it, you can sorta "stage" the trigger, slowing down enough in the last 15% of the pull to make sure of your sight picture as the round fires. I've done that enough now that I can jump from a Glock to a 1911 and back to the PT111 and know by feel how I have to work the trigger to make the shots count.

Even +P rounds are easy on the hands in this little gun. With such a short barrel the hot rounds will give some muzzle flip, but recoil is only enough to let you know you have a pistol of meaningful caliber in your hand. The molded checkering helps keep the gun in place in your hand.

I've had the gun for 9 years now, and it's had maybe 2500 rounds through it. Somewhere short of the 1000-round mark the gun developed a failure-to-fire problem, and it went back to Taurus for service. I got the gun back less than 4 weeks later, and found that they had replaced some springs. Since then, it's been completely reliable. It's one of my dog-walking guns (once I'm well enough to get back to walking the dogs again!) that I carry in an OWB holster.

Not sure what other guns are in the running for you; I'm sure the Glock fans will steer you toward the G26. I would encourage you to find a way to handle and shoot both before you decide.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I have had a PT111 Pro for 6 years or so. Never a problem out of the gun. It eats everything I put into it. It is carried in either a Fist OWB holster or a Super Tuck with a tshirt over the top. It carries well all day, even during active sessions of coaching 7 year olds soccer in the Super Tuck.

Compared to the G26, (which I don't like Glocks, nothing wrong with the guns they just don't feel right to me) the grip actually gives you something to hold onto. I can barely get the trigger finger and two other fingers on the G26. The PT111 I can get pretty much a full grip. Plus you get two extra rounds. The single action trigger is ok. After taking up the slack it s a pretty short pull, the second strike capabiity is a nice feature, but have only used it a couple of times, but don't recall the brand ammo or if it was a reload that it was needed on. As far as the Heine sights, well they are what they are. You just have to get used to how they work. Shooting steel plates at 50+ feet is not a problem even fairly rapidly if you pay attention to what your doing and realize the difference in aim point with the straight 8 sights. At self defense ranges I could care less, because I don't really use sights that close.

You will find folks that really don't like Taurus because of what they have heard or experienced with them. I would suggest that you listen to both folks that don't recommend them and those that do and make your own choice. I have the PT111 and a 24/7 and have never had any problems out of either one of them and rotate the two along with an SP101 for daily carry. I have found them to be very reliable, good value, and easy to carry and maintain. There are plenty of holster options available for them.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I say buy another Glock 19.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Besides the PT111 I also have been researching the PT140. The XDSC.40 I have is in my safe and never been fired.
    I would like to sell it that way. I picked it up at a very good price. I love my Glock 19 but my son would like to have it.
    That is why the G23 interest me as well but I have had taurus revolvers and they have been flawless, plus price is
    very affordable,$150.00 or so less than glock. I f I could find a trade for a taurus or glock I would do it. I have had a
    G26 and even though my hands are med. size,I just could'nt get a good feeling on the grip. The XD is perfect for a woman
    because of small grip also and well concealable with lifetime warranty. I do like glocks alot but the taurus has really caught me.
    NRA Member
    99 Harley superglide
    Sig P239
    My son is Navy

Dont have a millenium but I have a Tuarus 24/7 pro and it shoots great when its first cleaned. But at around the 80 rd mark fails to eject about every 3rd round its gonna be my last Tuarus. Try a CZ75 its a way more reliable gun in my humble opinion

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by madplmber View Post
    Dont have a millenium but I have a Tuarus 24/7 pro and it shoots great when its first cleaned. But at around the 80 rd mark fails to eject about every 3rd round its gonna be my last Tuarus. Try a CZ75 its a way more reliable gun in my humble opinion
    If I had a nickel for every Taurus post like the one above. I am not wanting to be harsh it's just a fact. Heck I can enjoy a bargain as much as anyone, but sometimes you have to wonder why it's a bargain.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I purchased a First Generation PT111 Millenium (9mm 10+1) in 1998/99. It didn't like Wolf (steel case). Until about mid-2010 it functioned flawlessly. Put a lot of rounds through it. It's very controllable and once you get used to the long trigger pull it becomes sweet. Then the extractor moved and came out of the weapon. Sent it back to Taurus for a no cost repair. Took the standard 4-6 weeks.

I fired some Federals through it when I got it back. First couple of mags it did fine then it started to jam. Strange jam. The casings were parallel to the ground, not stove pipes. Ran a couple of mags like that then a couple that were good. So I think I had some less than perfect ammo. This was the first time I used federals. I haven't had the chance to go to the range with a different ammo.

Up until mid-2010 it was the only weapon I would carry. If after some more practice I still fell uncomfortable with it I'll probably get the Pro.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links