Yes - time for another SR9c range report!

This is a discussion on Yes - time for another SR9c range report! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Finally had a chance to take her out for the maiden shooting session. Some background: Rationale - Add a 9mm auto to the lineup for ...

Thread: Yes - time for another SR9c range report!

Finally had a chance to take her out for the maiden shooting session. Some background:

Rationale - Add a 9mm auto to the lineup for easy CC and more firepower than the .357s give me.

Selection criteria - No Glocks, as I've tried them in various flavors and they don't work for me. Must be a compact 9mm, with stellar reliability, reputation for eating any and all ammo, high capacity, good trigger, good ergonomics, easy takedown and cleaning, simple operation, affordable.

Over the past year I've tried quite a few semiautos and the S&W M&P was definitely a finalist. But when Gander Mountain offered the SR9c for $399, it was a no brainer. You get a 10- and 17-round mag, loading tool, a pinky extender for the short mag and a grip extension for the large one, making it feel identical to the full-size SR9.

Reports on the SR9c are clear on the trigger - it's better than the SR9's and doesn't need any work.

After purchase, this one, like all Rugers NIB, was heavily coated in packing oil/grease, so step one was to clean the gun and mags thoroughly, applying a small amount of Royal Purple gun oil to the rail and moving parts.

Step two was to remove the magazine disconnect safety. Very easy job, explained in detail at the ruger forum and also in a YouTube video. It took me about 5 minutes, but I work slow. So I did that, and also was able to clean and lubricate the firing assembly.

Cleaning and loading - Takedown is easy. You nudge out the locking pin and it comes right apart. I used a punch but anything like pencil eraser or similar would do it. The factory springs are stiff! Working the slide takes some muscle. The magazines have strong springs. I can load them by hand, but using the Ruger loading tool makes this easier.

Range trip - Now familiar with the operation and mechanics of loading and arming, it was time to test it out. One box of Wolf 9mm Luger 115gr and one box of Blazer 9mm 115gr, for a total of 100 rounds. Didn't have lots of time, so this would have to be the first run through.

Set up the first target - a 12x12 bullseye at 10 yrds. The Wolf ammo was chosen because it's cheap and bottom of the barrel. All 50 fired perfectly, with zero FTF's or FTE's. The rounds grouped well, but up in the 10 - 11 o'clock area. Rather than adjust the sights, I assumed operator error.

Loaded up with the Blazer and worked on breath control, grip, and trigger pull. Bingo: it began shooting to point-of-aim:

As you can see, the rounds started to walk right in toward the x-zone.

Impressions - For me, this is around the high end of the amount of weight I want to CC, at 23.4 oz. This weight does, however, control muzzle flip and helps keep the sights on target. It's a bit snappy, but on a par with the revolvers shooting .38 spl.

Trigger pull is just crazy light and smooth. Using the 1911-style safety is probably a good idea with this one. You can start to pull slow and the break will surprise you, giving good accuracy. Sight picture is excellent and there's no interference by the loaded-chamber indicator.

With one in the chamber, I dropped the mag and fired the chambered round, confirming successful removal of the mag disconnect safety.

Magazines insert smoothly with a smart "snick," no jamming or forcing needed, and even empty, their weight drops them right out when you hit the release. The mag release button is located in a good position so that you aren't likely to hit it by accident.

Around rounds 60-80, it was getting easier to load the mags and it became easier to slingshot the slide. As others have reported, the more you shoot it, the smoother the springs should get. I can attest to this. Don't judge this gun by how it shoots out of the box. Give it at least 100 (I'm going to fire another 200 or so) before making an evaluation.

Overall - Of course this was voted "gun of the year 2010." It's a tack driver. Like hickok45 demonstrates, it's accurate, holds, points and shoots naturally, and so far is flawless with junk ammo. The next round of testing for me will include my carry round of Corbon +p JHP.

Concealability - The Forbus paddle holster I got with it is sort of OK. It will conceal with a jacket, but this OWB holster is probably better for range duty and OC. I've ordered the Mitch Rosen and will see if it works better.

I'm very, very happy with this gun.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I just shot this gun also. I was very impressed, but one thing I did not like was the very heavy slide spring. It prevented using your finger to release a locked slide. Racking the slide was much harder, too. One last thing, I got pinched a lot with multiple operations like reloading a mag, opening the slide to show clear, etc. Did you notice any of these?

All in all, this is a very nice gun and if I weren't such a Glock enthusiast, I would probably buy one, especially considering the price.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

one thing I did not like was the very heavy slide spring. It prevented using your finger to release a locked slide.
    The jury seems to be out on that question. Some report that you can use the release after around 600 rounds or so downrange. The manual says to slingshot it. Closing in on round 100, it was getting easier to slingshot it (for me). Starting around April of this year, I started working my hands with a tennis ball and also completed the P90X fitness system. Maybe that's helped.

No pinching from the slide or mags. I'm using the Ruger tool (which has poor reviews but it's working for me) to reload, and have ordered an extra 17-rd mag and adapter. It's recommended to use the cornered cat technique early on, using your hands, wrists, shoulderblades, and a combination of pushing and pulling to maximize efficiency in working the slide. It's possible to make it easy, but it's a learned movement and takes a bit of practice.

Also, let me take this moment to say that cornered cat is NOT about women and guns. That site has some of the best gun information available on the net. I've read every page on her site. Everybody can learn something new and valuable from studying the pages there.

It should be noted that when you buy the SR9c, you get a card inviting you to visit Ruger and you get a promo code. For a month or so after purchase, you can order accessories at 20% off, so I went for the mag and holster combo and the discount made it less painful. I'm probably going to get another 10-rd mag too, to carry without the pinky extension, and then I'll be set up for any scenario.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I've been doing all I can to NOT go to the gunshop this past week or I know I'll leave with one of those Ruger SRs...
    Thanks for the write up.

GM
    Glad you like it. Enjoy!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Sounds like you've found a winner . . . even if it's not a Glock!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Looks nice. Congrats.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Glad you found something you like. Those SR9s have always struck me as good guns, nice to see another confirmation.

VIP Member
    Looks like a different review then this thread below.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...updated-review
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

The SR9c has been my first handgun and I've been satisfied with it. It shoots great out of the box and gets better after each trip to the range. I'm going to shoot a couple more hundred rounds until I make it as my edc, but in the mean time, I'm still in the process looking for a holster (IWB).
    Ruger SR9c

SR9C is one of the best value for the dollar pistols around and the quality is above average to boot.
    Aim for the Thoracic Triangle Area between the armpits and the base of throat.

1. Shot Placement: Center Mass Between the Armpits & Base of Throat
    2. Heavy for Caliber Bullet Weight / Construction
    3. Choice of Caliber

Thanks for the report. Glad you like your SR9.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

I've got 560 flawless rounds through my SR9c. I absolutely love it and highly recommend one. Now lets see if Ruger will come out with an ultra compact single stack 9

The SR9c IS a great little gun!!!!

I think it can go up against ANY gun out there for price and reliability.

My 2 cents,

Lateck,

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    I've been doing all I can to NOT go to the gunshop this past week or I know I'll leave with one of those Ruger SRs...
    Thanks for the write up.

Agreed. They seem like such a deal for the money and everyone I've seen on the net have good things to say about them.

Sponsored Links