The most authentic 1911A1

This is a discussion on The most authentic 1911A1 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Who makes the most authentic WWII era 1911A1? I know of the older makes like Remington Rand but they are WAY out of my price ...

Who makes the most authentic WWII era 1911A1? I know of the older makes like Remington Rand but they are WAY out of my price range. What manufacturer still makes an accurate replica of the old WWII warhorse?

JD
    Administrator
    I don't think any of them are really 100% accurate, there's a number of GI style pistols that come close.

The top three that come to mind are the:
    Various Colt Replicas
    Springfield GI
    Auto Ordnance GI

The Remington R1 comes close as well.

I think Colt and Remington both have good copies. Springfield has a good close copy too.

From what I've read the Springfield GI is pretty close. I'm only going to throw that one out there since I have one. It's awesome.

I would argue that the Springfield GI model is the closest current production 1911A1. Externally, the grips may be different but can be easily swapped out. It is my understanding that even on the GI models the ejector on the slide has been lowered and flaired. Also current production Springfield Armory 1911A1 are marked with "made in Brazil" on the underside of the slide. For safety reasons, Springfield uses a stronger firing pin spring and a lighter (titanium) firing pin than the original. These can be swapped out but IMHO I would consider this inadvisable. It is my understanding that modern Colts and Remington (and many other manufacturers) use the "Series 80" style firing pin safety (aka that annoying spring loaded pin that locks the firing pin).

I believe new Springfield GI's do come with the ILS (Integrated Lock Safety) that annoying keyhole on the backstrap. I am not certain where current production from any manufacturer is with the use of MIM components.

How about the Rock Island Tactical version made by Armscor ??? I thought I had read somewhere that Armcor is the second oldest 1911 manufacture in the world or one of the oldest. I do know if it is true or not. I hope this helps. God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by gglockster View Post
    I would argue that the Springfield GI model is the closest current production 1911A1. Externally, the grips may be different but can be easily swapped out. It is my understanding that even on the GI models the ejector on the slide has been lowered and flaired. Also current production Springfield Armory 1911A1 are marked with "made in Brazil" on the underside of the slide. For safety reasons, Springfield uses a stronger firing pin spring and a lighter (titanium) firing pin than the original. These can be swapped out but IMHO I would consider this inadvisable. It is my understanding that modern Colts and Remington (and many other manufacturers) use the "Series 80" style firing pin safety (aka that annoying spring loaded pin that locks the firing pin).
    I believe on the bolded what you're referring to is the mil-spec model, which is the next step up from the no-frills GI model (and looks very similar). The mil-spec has lowered ejection port, ported barrel and raised sights. The GI ejection port is definitely not lowered.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    How could anything be more true to the original than a COLT ?

(Colt 1970 series )

While it has bigger sights , fancy grips , and is blued rather than Parkerized -
    it is still Faithful to the original design.

Or you could try to find an older Limited Edition.

(Colt / Talo )

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

I believe the standard Rock Island (not-tatical) is very close to original. I forget where but I saw some pictures of one next to a Remington Rand and could not tell much of a difference (the owner had swapped out the grips to match the RR)

Edit: Found it - http://forum.m1911.org/showpost.php?...8&postcount=17 and http://forum.m1911.org/showpost.php?...3&postcount=20

Links