S&W BG38 (Bodyguard38)?

This is a discussion on S&W BG38 (Bodyguard38)? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I tried a search and came up empty. Anyone have the new S&W BG38? Thoughts? Price paid?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W BG38 (Bodyguard38)?

S&W BG38 (Bodyguard38)?

I tried a search and came up empty.

Anyone have the new S&W BG38?

Thoughts?

Price paid?

2. Remove Ads

If you are talking about the new revolver with the built in laser, I saw one at the South Florida gun show for $460.
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

I compared it to the LCR .38 and went with the LCR. The Smith felt pretty good in my hand, but the trigger on the LCR is what made the decision. The Smith at my LGS was going for $460 and the LCR was going for $399 W/out the CT. Not really interested in the laser on an up close personal defense firearm, but I wouldn't pass it up because it had one on it. The cylinder release was different, not sure if it could be a good thing or a bad thing, but it's something that I'd have to get used to.

"He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Could always get a 442/642, which are proven, reliable S&W snubbies, and add a CT grip?

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    Could always get a 442/642, which are proven, reliable S&W snubbies, and add a CT grip?
    I'll 2nd that.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

That's what I did.

I could, but the price of doing it that way is probably a bunch more. I also kind of like "newfangled" designs, which the BG38 is, big time. Heck, the cylinder even rotates the wrong way!

I handled the B38 today at a local gun store and was quite impressed. I compared it side by side to the LCR. I like the both for different reasons.
    1. Laser - Being a lefty, I prefer the location of the laser on the B38. When I have a firing grip on the LCR, my support hand blocks the laser. This could be overcome with training I suppose. I also like the location of the laser actuation button on the B38. It is easily reachable with my left thumb.
    2. Size and Weight - This one is a toss up. They both felt about the same to me.
    3. Firepower - I like that you can get the LCR in .357. The 38 +p is enough in my opinion, but if I can get it in .357, thats what I want.
    So, I guess if I were going to buy one, I would go for the LCR in .357. Maybe....

The first Bodyguard I saw on the range had numerous failures to fire due to off center primer strikes. I don't know anything about the design so the owner will be returning it to S&W. I'm not lining up to buy a new design anytime soon.

I did notice that everyone who handled it reached their thumb over to where the clyinder release is on a J frame, fumbled for a second, then looked down and realized the problem and found the new latch to open the gun. I bet the same thing happens under stress.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    I did notice that everyone who handled it reached their thumb over to where the clyinder release is on a J frame, fumbled for a second, then looked down and realized the problem and found the new latch to open the gun. I bet the same thing happens under stress.
    That was my thought when I was doing my comparison.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

If it isn't broken, don'y try to fix it. I carry a 642 and it is proven reliable. I don't have time to wait for a laser at <21 ft (Snubby SD range.) I fire the 642 once a week and a 317 (.22LR) daily, so I don't need a laser. Everything (in rapid fire) within a 5 1/2 " circle, well within "kill zone".
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by Diddle View Post
    I'll 2nd that.
    Same here
    Current handguns: Glock models 19, 22C, 23, 27, 29, & 36; Kimber Pro CDP and Polymer Custom; Kahr PM9 & CW9; S&W models 6906, 386PD, 66; Taurus 85 Ultralite Ti; Browning Buckmark;

Former handguns: S&W 4"686, 4" 620 & Sigma .380, Taurus 617 Ti, Kimber Pro Eclipse, Walther P22, Glock 30 & 33.

i think this gun might be designed for a person that does not own a fire arm or not " into it" a new person can be taught to use the ambi cylinder release, a person that is already use to the " reg" release will take time to adjust.

cheap price, makes it affordable.

laser makes it easy to aim for a novice...

Do a search and you will find a couple of threads on the bodyguard. Here is one: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...Bodyguard-.380

BTW, I think I paid about $440 for mine. The Keltec's are going for about $300 +/-.
    Glock, Colt, S&W,Beretta,ParaOrdnance
    Springfields, Browning, Keltec... to name a few.

TSRA, NRA, IDPA, IPSC, USPSA
    NRA Certified RSO and Instructor
    Certified CHL Instructor in Texas and Lousisiana

Ex Member
    It, like the Ruger is way too light. You will not enjoy shooting it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links