Bad range day, with new springs

This is a discussion on Bad range day, with new springs within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently replaced my recoil spring in my New Agent with a Wolff XP Recoil spring. Luckily I haven't carried it since replacing it so ...

Thread: Bad range day, with new springs

Bad range day, with new springs

I recently replaced my recoil spring in my New Agent with a Wolff XP Recoil spring. Luckily I haven't carried it since replacing it so I could take it to the range first. The Colt uses a two spring guide rod system, a small captures spring and a bigger outer spring. Well, somehow the bigger outer spring got completely jammed into the guide rod bushing and stuck! Not sure exactly how that happened, but it shut down my range trip real quick. I noticed it because I had a FTF, then I cleared the jammed round. When the new round chambered, the guide rod was sticking out about an inch from the from of the gun. I'm very glad I noticed it before I pulled the trigger. I'm not sure how much fun it would have been shooting without the recoil spring. Either way, I got it home and disassemble the recoil spring, un-jammed the stuck spring, and put the old one back on it. The only glaring difference between the two springs is that the factory spring is closed on both ends, and the Wolff is only closed on one end (like most springs). I guess this caused the jam up. Oh well, everything works fine now. If only I could keep the rear sight on the Kimber from flying off now.....

2. Remove Ads

With the Wolff spring, did you have the closed end to the rear or toward the front?
    Glock Certified Armorer

Administrator
    Just FYI

I have no idea specifically about the Colt New Agent with regard to Wolff Gunsprings but, some of the single Wolff recoil springs are designed to replace the factory double (spring within a spring) recoil spring systems.

You should check with Wolff and find out if you should (or should not) have used the smaller inner recoil spring at all.

If you bought a Wolff single recoil spring designed to replace the factory double spring system then that sure might explain the jam if you mistakenly inserted the inner spring.

Just a thought.

I had the open end inside the bushing (towards the front sight), and the closed end on the guide rod. This was a two spring set to replace the factory springs. Also the spring that jammed is exactly the same as the factory spring, just not closed on both ends.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I don't understand how your slide went into battery if the recoil spring wasn't working. Anyway, reinstall the springs and manually cycle the slide a few times to see what happens. If it jams again, replace the spring with the closed end toward the bushing. You might also install a Shok Buff at the end of the guide rod. Again manually cycle the slide and see if there's any binding. That's kind of an odd spring, they're usually closed at both ends.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by j21blackjack View Post
    I had the open end inside the bushing (towards the front sight), and the closed end on the guide rod.
    Just thought it was worth asking about. That is how they say to put it. I've got the same springs for a 9mm Defender, but it will be a little while before I get to test them out.
    Glock Certified Armorer

Really makes me want to look into getting a single spring guide rod.

Links