Kahr PM9 vs P380 for pocket carry

This is a discussion on Kahr PM9 vs P380 for pocket carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just curious if anyone has tried to pocket carry both of these pistols and if so, how would you describe the differences? Is the 380 ...

Thread: Kahr PM9 vs P380 for pocket carry

Just curious if anyone has tried to pocket carry both of these pistols and if so, how would you describe the differences? Is the 380 noticeably smaller, lighter, thinner in the pocket? Could you tell/feel any difference?? I'm askig this becuase the P380 and the PM9 are the same height in the grip @ approx 4in, very close in length @ 5.3in vs 4.9in, and the P380 is slimmer @ .75 vs .90 for the PM9. Given the dimensions, how do the 2 compare??

I own the PM9 and P380. The reason that I own the P380 is that I don't find the PM9 to be comfortable for pocket carry. While there may not seem to a large difference on paper, they are VERY different when it comes to pocket carry. The P380 is significantly lighter when fully loaded and it's slimmer dimension makes it print less, especially when you add a holster.

Your best bet would be to go to a gun store and try to fit each one in your pocket to see which one is more comfortable. If you have large pockets, the PM9 may work just fine.

I've never pocket carried them, but I have had the oppurtunity to hold both at the same time and what tokerblue said is very true. The feel of the P380 is such a difference that when compared, the PM9 felt like a mini brick.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

In my opinion, the PM-9 is too big for pocket carry.
    I don't have a P-380, but I do have a P-238 (sig) that is much smaller feeling.
    At that size, a small difference in measurements makes a big difference in feel.

Now, I pocket carry a Seecamp. (way small) To me, that's a real pocket gun.

Quote Originally Posted by jwalker497 View Post
    Just curious if anyone has tried to pocket carry both of these pistols and if so, how would you describe the differences?
    Yes, I've had both.

The PM9 is quite noticeably heavier, wider, requiring more leather around it in a pocket holster. It's easier to shoot at the range for extended sessions (ie, above 150 rds). It's easy to shoot well and accurately, for me.

The P380 by comparison is about the smallest, lightest pistol I've ever slipped into a pocket. It's quite a bit thinner and lighter overall. Being thinner, the thickness of the leather as it goes over the top of the slide on a pocket holster means the holster is very much closer-fitting to the body, meaning it prints quite a bit less (to nearly nothing at all). Unless a person has the right pants and pockets of a certain size, the PM9 can be a little difficult to avoid printing.

As for reliability, I am just now getting a P380 up to snuff, with only a couple errors in the past several hundred rounds. A second one's still early in the break-in stage, so it's too early to tell.

As others have suggested, all your answers about size comparisons will be answered the moment you can handle both. It's quite a difference, IMO. They're both of a similar feel, same family of pistols definitely. But one is absolutely thinner and lighter feeling, far more nimble in the hands. As small as the PM9 may be, it does feel a bit like "a brick" in comparison to the ultra-mini P380. For general reference, the P380 is roughly the same size and weight as the Ruger LCP or the KelTec P3AT. At 10oz and 0.75" thin, it is one puny little unit in the pocket.

To my way of thinking, the PM9 is the perfect package for a mini pocket gun, if you can get a reliable one running perfectly and find the right leather that keeps it upright, stable and hidden in your specific pockets. For a holster, strongly consider the Fist #5, in either kydex or leather.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have both. There is no comparison between the two in terms of pocket carry. While the PM9 is about the smallest and heaviest 9mm I would consider for pocket carry.....and if you want a 9mm, then the PM9 will carry well enough, but not nearly as well as the P380.

If you want to go down to .380, then the P380 is about the smallest lightest piece going except for the LCP (which it bests in almost every category of comparision).

How well the larger PM9 "conceals" and "feels" is really pretty subjective. Some like it some don't. There is nothing not to like about the P380 in terms of something that is pretty minimal in the pocket. You would have to go down to a Baby Browning or a Seecamp to get much smaller.

The holster you carry each in also matters quite a bit for both comfort and concealment. Stay with quality rather than with cheap. DM Bullard is nice for all leather and form fitted. Mika is nice for synthetic but it is not form fitted. It will be bulkier that form fitted but faster to draw from.

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    I own the PM9 and P380. The reason that I own the P380 is that I don't find the PM9 to be comfortable for pocket carry. While there may not seem to a large difference on paper, they are VERY different when it comes to pocket carry. The P380 is significantly lighter when fully loaded and it's slimmer dimension makes it print less, especially when you add a holster.

Your best bet would be to go to a gun store and try to fit each one in your pocket to see which one is more comfortable. If you have large pockets, the PM9 may work just fine.
    +1
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Links