Anyone use NiteSiters?

This is a discussion on Anyone use NiteSiters? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Those stick on, glow in dark sight dots.. do they work as advertised?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use NiteSiters?

Anyone use NiteSiters?

Those stick on, glow in dark sight dots.. do they work as advertised?

2. Remove Ads

I don't have them, but I don't think there's any reason to doubt them. You'll have to "recharge" them, though. If that is ok with you and you can't quite afford night sights right now, it could be an option.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I did try to use them but they did not stick too well to my LCP. This could have been operator related issues. I did follow the directions word for word but they kept slipping around. Maybe I did not clean the area where they were applied well enough.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

I am curious about true "glow" time after charged.

I tried them, but they kept falling off even when I followed the instructions word-for-word. As for glow time, not much at all. You can see them dim quickly once the light source is off of them. I even bought a UV LED light and would let it sit for 5 minutes or so and likewise they would dim quickly. I'd check after letting my eyes adjust to the dark, maybe 15 minutes or so, and the only way I could see them glowing was if I had the pistol roughly 9"-12" inches from my face. Needless to say, I'd never fire a gun that close by choice. IMHO, they're not worth the little money you'd pay for them. I'd return them, but the cost isn't worth the hassle of having to go to the post office.

They suck.

Like others have said, they don't stay on....and what is the point of glow in the dark sites that have to be re-charged? Don't know about you, but my conceal carry pieces usually ride around on me in the dark.

I'm not going to ask the bad guy for a time out so I can "charge up" my glow in the dark sites. Spend the extra money and get tritiums.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    I bought these for the reason of "oh crap someone broke into my house at 2am. I grab My gun and flashlight off the night stand charge the sites up." They do work good in my opinion. I was out side shooting and it went from sunny to dark clouds and rain while I was shooting. The sites started glowing instantly...

As for stick... I didn't super glue them, just used them stock. Watch my link below. It is a testament to the NiteSiters... they are still there to this day.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Hit or miss with staying on, have to shine a light to charge them, like the luminous marking on a sport watch, lasts a few minutes. No a real replacement for true night sights. I have some on my LCP that have managed to stay put.

night sites can be bought for under $1.00 a month. how?

night sites cost 80-100 dollars on average

they last about 10 yrs on average

120 months in 10 yrs, $100/120 months is .83 cents a month....

dont bet ur life on some glow in the dark toys, they belong on a child's bedroom ceiling.

I think having to "recharge" defeats the purpose of night sights. Most of us keep the gun under something, in a drawer, between mattresses, etc. If you hear a bump in the night, are you going to risk precious time charging your nitesiters before you investigate?

Also, I read some reviews saying they were way too bright and would illuminate your face, which would give away your position in near-total darkness (not good) and be a detriment to scotopic vision (your eyes will adjust to the sights, not the surrounding darkness). If you're equipped with a flashlight, you don't need night sights anyway. Completely pointless, IMO.

Anyway, if you're going to go that route, a bottle of glow-in-the-dark paint at the craft store is cheaper and will stay on longer.
    Ek = 1/2 (m*v^2)

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    I bought another set about a month ago. Same as the set I bought a couple years back. They're not bright enough to light up your face. They need charging and don't last a real long time. Do better under a blue light and even better under an ultra-violet light. That said, I got the second set knowing pretty much what to expect and only because they are dye cut and a lot neater than anything I can paint myself. The first time I had the same problem with them not staying put. This time I put some clear nail polish over them. Didn't effect their function and they don't go anywhere. Much neater than trying to paint freehand.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    I was out side shooting and it went from sunny to dark clouds and rain while I was shooting. The sites started glowing instantly...
    Just an FYI, UV light still penetrates/passes-through clouds and the like. That's why they were glowing. Needless to say, it's not the same as total darkness, i.e. - no UV light.

Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    This time I put some clear nail polish over them. Didn't effect their function and they don't go anywhere.
    I tried clear nail polish as well. It worked until my first range session with dirty ammo. Cleaning the nail polish left them kinda dingy.

Ive got some Glow On night sight paint. www.glow-on.com. It works well for what it is. I put it on my G23. Painted my front sight. Applied the stick on to the rear. It stuck real well after applying a light coat of nail polish. I can charge them a few seconds with my Fenix TK-10 light and as expected they glow bright for several minutes and slowly dim, but several hours later you can still plainly see the sights. It works well for me as Im not shooting at a shadow that goes bump in the night, I will always have my Fenix flashlight on turbo beside my Glock, so I really dont see the need for tritium sights.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Sponsor

Works as advertised

There is definitely a broad spectrum of solutions for more specific situations than I can recollect this minute.
    On one extreme is my friend John, he lives in Yucatan and hunts in the night, his night sights are a "well polished front iron sight" (with a little spit sometimes) which will catch any moon glow. On the other extreme is the "Tactical Operator", with equipment worth several thousand dollars, which allows him to get in, wreak havoc and get out in the middle of the night, all without being noticed.

If we trace a straight line between the two, we would have to decide where we are in terms of budget and expectations.

There a re no perfect solutions, only efficient ones, there is no doubt in my mind, if the American revolutionary forces had something like this during our struggle for independence, we would have won sooner.

( I can already see it coming: "No, not that, tritium! tritium matey!")
    I would say how many of this iron sights can you "paint " with tritium?, I know with a Glow-On vial I can paint about 40.

A few facts: It takes for the normal human eye about 30 minutes to adapt to night vision, at this point, color can hardly be detected, our peripheral vision is enhanced, in fact we do better looking that way than directly, under those conditions, meaning, you wake up in the middle of the night, not only you'll be able to go for your shooter, your flashlight,(if you used a couple of squares on your flashlight as well) and you'll be able to line a shot.

Like everything else, there has to be a "getting used to" time to be efficient ( please remember to practice with an unloaded weapon please).
    Glow-On at this point will look like a ghostly glow, that is why we now call it Glow-On Ghost Sights.

Why practice? Weapons and musical instruments have one thing in common: Practice makes perfect.

You just have to try on your own what works best for you, just swing that bat , if you miss , just wait for the next ball, I have a collection of red dots just by trying, a few rifles, pistols and such, just by trying

And I'm all for that. Somewhere in a post I wrote; Just send me a self addressed envelope to PO Box 12328, Oklahoma city OK,73157-2328 and I'll be glad to send you a small square of the self adhesive, put it over a light switch, a remote control, whatever, what is there to lose?

A note on "works as advertised":
    Under most regular conditions, nothing really works as advertised, if we get lucky, at best, things work as expected. We just have to try.
    Maybe to get those 75 MPG out of that car I just bought, I have to drive it it downhill on neutral from the top of Pikes Peak.
    And that wonderful thingy that promised to erase those pesky wrinkles and crow feet of my face , maybe it'll work as advertised as soon as someone explains to me how I should apply the darn photoshop thingy everyone is talking about

Live long, Gato
    Go with the glow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links