My STI Spartan...

My STI Spartan...

This is a discussion on My STI Spartan... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, this is my first post although I have been stalking for awhile. A lot of great information here! Anyways, I thought I would ...

Thread: My STI Spartan...

My STI Spartan...

Hello all, this is my first post although I have been stalking for awhile. A lot of great information here!

Anyways, I thought I would share my recent experience with my STI Spartan. I picked up the gun new from a local dealer about 3 months ago. I was really excited after reading all the wonderful reviews. The fit and finish was great for the price. The lockup was perfect and the slide-frame fit was tight.

Then the issues...
    First time at the range shot only FMJ. In the first 100 rounds the gun locked back on a half empty mag once. I figured It was just getting broken in. Nope. It happened several more times on different range trips so I decided to investigate... I noticed that if the rounds shifted in the magazine at all, they would touch the slide stop and push it up and thus lock the slide back. Came to the conclusion that it needed to be fit by a gunsmith.
    During these range trips I also noticed that the gun would not reliably feed hallow points. Big issue as I planned to occasionally carry this gun.
    So I called up STI and decided to send the gun back on my dime. $60. Fine.
    Couple weeks later I get a call from them letting me know that they couldn't fix my gun and they were sending me a new one. Turns out the barrel was being held too high in the slide. They said they were going to get another one and test it out then send it to me. Great!
    Fast forward to today...
    Just picked up the gun. Loaded up a mag to hand cycle some rounds... and jam... The ejecting live rounds wont clear the ejection port and get suck. No matter how hard I rack the slide they just get more and more stuck. Big problem. So I check to see if the rounds are touching the slide stop...YEP! I can actually see where there are copper marks all over the slide stop! I can look at ejected rounds and see scratches in the copper jacket! It doesn't look like this slide stop was fit at all! I also noticed that the cocking lug was not polished on the new pistol and showed lots of machine marks and that the loaded mags fit very loosely in the frame.
    So defective Spartan #2 going back to STI on their dime this time.

I'm sorry my first post is so negative but I needed to vent a bit.

Pretzle

Welcome to the forum. That's too bad about the STI experience you have had. I always thought them to be beter than that. I have been eying one of their edge pistols to use for competition.
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’ — James Earl Jones, Actor

A friend of mine is an STI nut...I should send this to him to show they fail too.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    Sorry to hear the issues....... Makes me glad I saved money on my trusty Kimber! haha....... All kidding aside, good luck and keep on them until they get it right.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

If the gun is warrantied, send it back - ask for a new one or your money back; at this point you have a case for returned funds. I'd go that route. Tell them you've been sent two potentially dangerous guns and "you'd hate to involve Federal agencies but....". This approach works quite well, try it.

GM
    Welcome to the forum. I am sorry about the STI; I hope they fix it for you.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
    If the gun is warrantied, send it back - ask for a new one or your money back; at this point you have a case for returned funds. I'd go that route. Tell them you've been sent two potentially dangerous guns and "you'd hate to involve Federal agencies but....". This approach works quite well, try it.
    Federal agencies? That's a bit of a stretch. Nothing worse than someone who cries, "I'm gonna tell my mommy!" over every little thing they're not happy with. How about just asking for them to fix or refund, call it a lesson learned, and moving on.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

sorry to hear about your problems. You got a lemon, it happens. Let STI make it right. IMO STI makes somr of the best 1911 and the Spartan is the BEST entry level 1911 out there. Mine has been flawless and the fit on mine is flawless as well
    http://img225.imageshack.us/i/spartan2.jpg/][/URL]
    Nothing begins, and nothing ends, That is not paid with moan; For we are born in others pain And perish in our own.

Thanks for the support. I hope STI will get it right this time.
    Pierced456,
    Does your spartan have the cocking lug in the slide polished?
    My first one did and my second one does not.
    Also, am I being too picky about the loose mag? It seems looser than normal and has quite a bit of play both side to side and up and down. I recall my first spartan being a bit tighter than that.
    It may take a while to build confidence in this gun, but hopefully all the bugs will be worked out this time.
    Last edited by fatpretzle; October 27th, 2010 at 05:49 PM.

I have lots of STI experience, as an owner and as having worked on a bunch of them. Typically, their slides, frames and barrels are top-notch, with wonderful metallurgy and excellent fiitting. I've yet to see one that was not crazy accurate. I've seen the occasional hole drilled in the wrong place or other out-of-spec issues, but they've not been common. The internal parts, however, are another story. I used to have one of the little Rangers, and it worked great, once I replaced the slide stop and magazine catch. I have a Trojan, with which I occasionally shoot IDPA CDP class. On the day I got it, I cleaned off the excess grease, oiled it lightly, and took it out to shoot. With the factory magazine, it would not feed, period. I chunked the mag in the trash. A Wilson magazine cured the feeding problems, once I also replaced the mag catch. The lug on the slide stop was not fitted, so the slide locked back prematurely about once per magazine. On about shot number 59, the extractor broke. End result of all this was that I yanked out the factory mag catch, slide stop, safety, broken extractor and the sear (the sear had visible casting flaws) and replaced them all with Brown and Wilson parts. Works perfectly now! My experience is not unusual, based on what other local shooters of STI guns tell me, and on what the problems on the guns that came to me to fix have been. I'm not sure where they are getting internal parts, or if the problems persist to today (my Trojan is about 4 years old) but if so, they need new sources.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLeVick View Post
    I have lots of STI experience, as an owner and as having worked on a bunch of them. Typically, their slides, frames and barrels are top-notch, with wonderful metallurgy and excellent fiitting. I've yet to see one that was not crazy accurate. I've seen the occasional hole drilled in the wrong place or other out-of-spec issues, but they've not been common. The internal parts, however, are another story. I used to have one of the little Rangers, and it worked great, once I replaced the slide stop and magazine catch. I have a Trojan, with which I occasionally shoot IDPA CDP class. On the day I got it, I cleaned off the excess grease, oiled it lightly, and took it out to shoot. With the factory magazine, it would not feed, period. I chunked the mag in the trash. A Wilson magazine cured the feeding problems, once I also replaced the mag catch. The lug on the slide stop was not fitted, so the slide locked back prematurely about once per magazine. On about shot number 59, the extractor broke. End result of all this was that I yanked out the factory mag catch, slide stop, safety, broken extractor and the sear (the sear had visible casting flaws) and replaced them all with Brown and Wilson parts. Works perfectly now! My experience is not unusual, based on what other local shooters of STI guns tell me, and on what the problems on the guns that came to me to fix have been. I'm not sure where they are getting internal parts, or if the problems persist to today (my Trojan is about 4 years old) but if so, they need new sources.
    Yow. My hat's off to you sir. You have way more patience than I would have had.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Federal agencies? That's a bit of a stretch. Nothing worse than someone who cries, "I'm gonna tell my mommy!" over every little thing they're not happy with. How about just asking for them to fix or refund, call it a lesson learned, and moving on.
    Sounds good but most companies don't want to return money and he's had two defective guns as "repairs". A guised threat of further action can be the only thing that may get a company moving at times. I know that; it may be the hint that says to them "better take care of this, it's not worth it. Give him his money back - or get him a gun that we know works".

If he paid with a credit card, this is also the time to file a complaint. That again can help to move a company off square one. Nor is this whining or telling Mommy. Consumers do have rights, and exercising them is a credible course of action. Especially when the company already holds your money and has much more power than you do.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Yow. My hat's off to you sir. You have way more patience than I would have had.
    Thanks, but I don't think it was patience. Patience is a highly overrated virtue, anyway. It was more a matter of persistence and the fact that guns like that always present a challenge that tends to send me on a quest. When I have a gun that won't work, or even that is just "not quite right," but I know that there is a really good gun lurking in there somewhere, I just have to go to work on it and make it work. I don't intend to be too hard on STI. As I said, their major parts are truly excellent, and I've seen lots of their guns run perfectly, right out of the box. Unfortunately, I've also seen a lot that had internals that were junk. The same can be said for Kimbers. As for serious dimensional defects in major parts of 1911-types, in my experience, Colt takes the cake.

Well I talked to STI today. They told me they could not duplicate my problem...
    I talked to the guy in the shop and he said that they were using factory ball ammo and reloaded ammo that was about 1.260 oal. Well I double checked all my ammo and all of it is loaded to almost 1.265 exactly. Right at spec....
    What should I do? They wont fix it if they cant duplicate the problem but I know its not my ammo.... I'm very frustrated now... what should I tell them? I know they are tired of hearing from me but I expect it to be flawless after all the crap Ive delt with.
    Is it as easy as shortening the ejector a bit?

Sponsored Links