Glock19 vs. 17

Glock19 vs. 17

This is a discussion on Glock19 vs. 17 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi to all. I have a question and was wondering your thoughts. I currently have a g17 and use it for some IDPA matches. Here ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock19 vs. 17

Glock19 vs. 17

Hi to all. I have a question and was wondering your thoughts. I currently have a g17 and use it for some IDPA matches. Here recently I have been wanting a 19 so I can also carry. I found someone who wants to trade me even because he wants a larger frame. Both are in identical shape. What are your thoughts. I have read that with the g19 you have the best of both worlds, ccw and informal competition. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Kygrizzly View Post
    Hi to all. I have a question and was wondering your thoughts. I currently have a g17 and use it for some IDPA matches. Here recently I have been wanting a 19 so I can also carry. I found someone who wants to trade me even because he wants a larger frame. Both are in identical shape. What are your thoughts. I have read that with the g19 you have the best of both worlds, ccw and informal competition. Thanks in advance.
    I don't compete in IDPA or any other shooting sport. However, I do have a Glock 19 and I slept at a Holiday Inn last night. From what I've read and experienced, the Glock 19 is nearly the ideal sidearm. I easily carry mine concealed in a CBST, and it has plenty of capacity for an HD gun. Magazines are interchangebale, it's reliable and tough as nails.

If you have no real pressing need for the service-sized Glock 17, I'd take that trade every day for a more versatile firearm.

Lol. My way of thinking is the same. I really don't have a need for the full size 17. Thanks for your input

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Unless you have a need for the 17 because of the larger grip or longer barrel get a 19.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    Unless you have a need for the 17 because of the larger grip or longer barrel get a 19.
    Exactly why I got the G17. Plenty of people will have a different opinion but I prefer the 17. I don't have any problem concealing it either. That being said, I could certainly live with the G19 too.

Senior Moderator
    I have both, I like both. I tend to favor the G17 and carry it the most. I like the two extra rounds and extra grip room. The G19 is less than a half inch longer (bbl) and less than a half inch higher (grip length). What makes you think the G19 would be any easier to carry?

If the carry issue is just an excuse to trade/change guns, then go for it - both are excellent guns - you can't go wrong.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I had read some other comments on here about the G19, so stopped at a range today and rented one.

Now I have to figure out how to convince wifey that I need another gun
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I say keep the Glock 17 for IDPA and then buy a Glock 26 for concealed carry. The Glock 26 is way smaller than the Glock 17 so it will easier to conceal and lighter as well so it will be more comfortable. If you wish to keep the Glock 17 or buy a Glock 19, then I say Glock 19. You get good mag capacity, lighter weight and easier concealment!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Senior Moderator
    G17 - 22.04 oz; G19 - 21 oz; difference = 1.04 oz. Is 1.04 oz really so significant???
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Unless you really need the extra grip length and really want the extra 2 rounds, I don't see any reason not to make the trade. If you've held/shot his or any G19, then you should know whether or not you would like it. Besides the grip length and round count, the only reason I see for not making the trade, would be if you would rather get a G26 for conceal carry. I say go for it. Truthfully, I don't see any reason for a G17 except for duty carry or for strictly IDPA competition.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

kpw
    I've got both and like them a lot. The 17 fits my paws a bit better, seems to be a slightly softer shooter, not that the 9mm is all that lively but there is a small difference. Running them side by side or on following days of a 2 day course over the summer, I can't say I shoot either better than the other. The 19 gets carried daily but the 17, not so much. The small size difference often shows with my wardrobe.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

My GLOCK 19 fills all of these roles perfectly: EDC, HD, competition, range, plinker, favorite pistol

I've never fired a GLOCK 17 so the only opinion I have of it is that it is slightly larger and has slightly more capacity. My wife has a GLOCK 26 and with the pinky extension on the magazines it is a sweet gun. The GLOCK 19 does everything the 17 and 26 do. Easy to conceal, great for competition, fun to shoot. I prefer to enjoy, practice, compete, and carry the same gun so that I can master that gun. For me that is the GLOCK 19, there is nothing wrong with the 17 but the 19 is more versatile.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

1 gun go with the 19
    2 guns keep the 17 and get a 26

G19 was my first Glock. Great gun. But I eventually wanted the larger G17 for IDPA and GSSF work. I bought the G17 then sold the G19 for a G26 for CCW.
    G17 & G26 = perfection for me. But if you can only have one Glock, the G19 is definately the way to go.
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders"
    Ted Nugent

I say keep the G17 and buy a G19 or G26 for carry.

May I ask why would you trade? Is it an affordabilty thing? Or do you want to keep your gun count down?(But why would anyone want to do that?!)
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links