Springfield TRP:Yes or no?

This is a discussion on Springfield TRP:Yes or no? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is a sad,sad time for me.I have been putting this off for a while,but i have to realize the reality.I will probably get rid ...

Thread: Springfield TRP:Yes or no?

This is a sad,sad time for me.I have been putting this off for a while,but i have to realize the reality.I will probably get rid of my beastly S&W .500.I love shooting that monster,but its so expensive to feed.I dont go places where i can freely carry it very much,and so i dont get out and shoot her hardly ever.

The cash i will recoup will allow me to buy my first 1911,Springfield TRP.I do need some suggestions on carrying though.I know it will fit my paddle i use for my G21 should i decide to make the Spring my primary carry,but what about a backup weapon? Has anyone tried carrying 2 full size guns OWB,and is it comfortable?

If i was to carry both the G21 and TRP,how should i arrange the spare mags?

This is my idea for the moment:G21 on my rights,no spare mags (im right handed and so used to reloading with mags from my left,i would fumble if i tried to grab mags from my right side).TRP crossdraw on my left with a spare mag or 2 behind it.

Or should i arrange differently?

Heres links for SA site and the crossdraw holster i will buy to use with either 1911 or Glock.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=26
    http://www.simplyrugged.com/store/cuda.html

kpw
    I recommend suspenders to go with a sturdy gun belt! That's going to be over 6 pounds of gear on your belt with holsters and spares. Comfort is going to be conditional on the quality of holsters you use as well. If your paddle holster that fits the G21 will also fit the TRP, I'd look at some better holsters. That Simply Rugged Cuda your looking at always seems to get good reviews for comfort. I can carry a 1911 or a G21 all day comfortably with decent gear but both? Not for long.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Is there an option for "Hell yes"?

The TRP is one seriously solid gun. I couldn't swing the $2700 for the Professional model, but the Springfield Custom Shop guys at the NRA show last year convinced me the TRP was their best value in a 1911. Mine needed a little gunsmith tweaking to handle the SWC reloads I use for practice and games, but it was fine with ball and my regular Federal JHPs.

I think I would base my G21/TRP "primary" question on which one I generally shot better, from the draw, and which one I handled better (i.e., speed reloads, etc.)
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Personally I'd carry two of the same gun.

Thus two 1911's or two Glocks. I'd also favor carrying one spare magazine for each gun, one right, one left. I'd opt to set them up in identical holsters, but one left and one right handed. You may find that two of the same gun will require you to learn to shoot more with your support hand to learn to manipulate the weapon. That's not a bad thing IMHO. Also, from a body balance standpoint, it would be more symetrical. That's a good thing, from a concealment, as well as spinal health viewpoint.

You will probably find two 1911's easier to carry than two Glocks. I know I did.

Biker

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Personally I'd carry two of the same gun.

Thus two 1911's or two Glocks. I'd also favor carrying one spare magazine for each gun, one right, one left. I'd opt to set them up in identical holsters, but one left and one right handed. You may find that two of the same gun will require you to learn to shoot more with your support hand to learn to manipulate the weapon. That's not a bad thing IMHO. Also, from a body balance standpoint, it would be more symetrical. That's a good thing, from a concealment, as well as spinal health viewpoint.

You will probably find two 1911's easier to carry than two Glocks. I know I did.

Biker
    I would agree with this . Glock to 1911 grip angle is different enough you will most likely be aiming high or low as you transition from one to the other.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Wow you must live in a bad neighborhood

Either one or the other would be fine but not both. The combined weight of guns and mags would give you back trouble.

TRP's are semi custom guns as in they are built twice a year, spring and winter, with only about 100 of each type made. (Numbers will vary depending on preorders)

My TRP started as a box of parts that were hand fitted and all bear the hand inscribed number 89 if I remember right. It has adjustable night sights and light rail with the armory kote finish.

As stated before a full sized 1911 will do all you want it to do as will the Glock but there is no need to carry both but if you think you need to a shoulder rig would be the way to go. I also have to agree with Biker that if you decide to carry two full size guns go with the same model so there is not a mag issue.

P.S. If you decide to go with this double carry rig please post some pics.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

My TRP is on its way to a local gun shop and the Cuda is on its way to my house.Yes,my neighborhood is pretty bad.I went to the range yesterday and shot a Remington 1911.Not the first time ive shot a 1911,but its been so long i forgot how good they feel.I ordered an extra mag (it comes with 2).And yes,i decided against lugging around the Glock in addition.Its a tough gun,but i hear the TRP is to.And Biker,you brought out some good thoughts.However,my left is useless.I always limp wrist when it shoot since i got shot with a 12 gauge awhile back.

I know this will sound strange to most,but pretty soon i will be getting comfortable with my 1911 and selling my 21.I dont much collect guns as i do trade them out.Any suggestions for an AR15?

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Glocksin View Post
    I know it will fit my paddle i use for my G21 should i decide to make the Spring my primary carry,
    I carried my Pro for one day in a Blade-Tech made for my Glock, bad idea, trust me, the holster hits the magazine catch and will allow the mag to disengage slightly.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

You should buy but keep the 21...awesome gun for a whole nother purpose than the TRP. i am holding out for the Professional Model. someday.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

ntg
    TRP = drool! I've only dry fired one, but all I felt and hear about it is great stuff!
    M&P Shield9; RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm;...many long guns

Any suggestions for an AR15?

A Smith & Wesson M&P 15 is a very solid AR built to be run hard. Enjoy your TRP!!!

Sponsored Links