LCP vs LCR - Page 2

LCP vs LCR

This is a discussion on LCP vs LCR within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The LCP can fit in most any pocket and is incredibly easy to conceal. Not a fun range gun but mine has been flawless....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: LCP vs LCR

The LCP can fit in most any pocket and is incredibly easy to conceal. Not a fun range gun but mine has been flawless.

I carry the exact set up that you want. g19 is IWB and the LCP is in my front pocket. I just got the glock 2 weeks ago and I carried the LCP for a year and a half by itself. Ive never had and issues with it other than the crimson trace doesn't stay zeroed. Today it was off about 2-3 in. to the left at 7 yrds. Be carefull too if your a lefty like me...sometimes I will bump the mag release on a counter or something and it releases. I find myself checking it casually pretty often. Guess thats why it is my lil BUG.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    LCP is easier to conceal, the LCR has more stopping power. I think what you want is the LCP.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

I have had both, LCP 380 is BUG only, the LCR is up to the task as EDC IMO, I don't own either now, I have a S&W 642. Both of the Rugers were fine guns and well made, both were reliable and accurate. The LCP needs a lot of practice because it is small to hold onto.

Take a look at Buffalo Bore 38 +P 158 grain bullets out of a 2" barrel 380ft.lbs. that is pretty close to 357 power. I like the clip draw on my 642 link. I also carry in the pocket and AIWB in a High Noon "Hidden Alley" holster.

i just recently bought the LCP and i'm quite impressed with this little gun..mine has been 100% flawless so far with 200+rds.through it..I don't think you can beat the convenience,size and weight of the LCP.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...w-range-report

Like a lot of the folks here I too have both the LCP and the LCR and IMO they are both fine firearms. If I had to choose one over the other for CC in either a BUG role or as a primary, my vote would go to the LCR, preferably in .357 caliber. Sure it's a lot of horse power outa such a light revolver, but then again, in a possible life and death situation I'd like as much power in the palm of my hand as I can get.

I carried my LCP for quite some time and again like a lot of folks have alluded to, the LCP is ranked first in deep concealment, but IMO, the LCR can fit in that role with little to no adjustments required. What I mean to say is; I carry my LCR pretty much the same way I carried my LCP. I either carry it on the ankle, in a belly band, or in my pocket. IMO the key to it's ability to be carried on the ankle, or in the pocket is the grip you have on it. Mine came with the Tamer grip which has the finger groves and is just ever so slightly larger than the boot grip.
    (Boot grip)

and the (Tamer grip)

I tried to carry it on the ankle but I wasn't happy with the profile it gave off at the back end of my stride. The Boot grip makes all the difference in the world and in fact that's how I'm carrying it right now. Same thing for pocket carry. The boot grip is smaller in both the height and width vs the Tamer grip and in the pocket the difference is easily visible. For deep concealment needs I use my belly band and simply wear it under my tee shirt with my tee tucked in and a cover shirt over that. If my cover shirt rides up for what ever reason my tee still fully covers the little bit of the grip that rides just above the belt line and is in noway visible to anyone, even if they were to be looking right at it. The cylinder on the LCR is has the thinnest width of any .38 out there, at least that's what they tout. So far I believe um, as I haven't seen anything thinner to date. At 1.28" wide it's not much thicker than a Glock and it's only at the cylinder where that measurement comes into play as far as concealment goes. Point being, the rest of the firearms profile is pretty darn thin, but again that depends on the grip. The Tamer grip is wider than the boot as well as being slightly taller.

As far as the LCP goes, IMO it's a great little pocket pistol and I'll always keep mine along with all the other firearms I've purchased over the years. To be perfectly honest though, it probably wont see much use and will just hang out in the safe for that ever once and a while call for use. IMO, if you choose the LCP it's a great option and it should serve you well in what ever role you decide to use it in, but for reliability and a slight edge in firepower those would go to the LCR IMO.

(10thmtn, I'm sorry to read how your LCPs are not up to the level you deserve. Like you my confidence in the autoloader came into question the last time I took my Sig P238 to the range. I ended up having three stove pipes outa 50 rounds and knowing how meticulous I am about keeping my carry guns conditioned, that pretty much set me on my path to start looking at the near 100% reliability of the snub revolver. My decision to change the platform of my carry guns was solidified pretty much from my first range trip. At the same distance I practice with my autos I was dead on with my Taurus 650 .357, and my LCR is no different.

You mentioned in a thread I had running that the .357 is a handful and yes sir you are correct, but I also found out quickly that the new Houge grip I added made loads of difference with the recoil and follow ups. Anyway I hope you get everything worked out and your LCP's shape up and start running right for ya
    . )

Sorry for the journal of a post, I guess I had a little to much coffee this morning..
    Last edited by gottabkiddin; October 28th, 2010 at 02:40 PM. Reason: ooops.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I have both and much prefer to carry the LCR. The LCP is to small to reliably get into action if the time would arise IMO...

I own a p3at, similar to the LCP and an LCR 357. I use both. The LCR 357 is now my daily carry but I also use the p3at as a deep pocket gun for when I really need to be discrete, my suggestion? Get both

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    I just buy pants with big pockets to hide my LCR. I use the Pocket-Roo and have been very happy. No problems so far.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

We have two LCP's and they have been flawless with any type of ammo fed through them. +1 on the LCP for "pocket" carry!
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

I have both the LCP and LCR. Both perform flawlessly. I've come to value the LCR for it's power with +p's. I wear cargo style pants nearly all the time, so there is no problem with front pocket carry in a DeSantis Nemesis. For me, the LCR trigger is miles beyond any other out there. no stacking, clean break, light and smooth.
    I added Pearce +1 extensions to my LCP mags so now have 8rds of .380 at hand on those occasions when I need deep concealment or if I feel particularly roguish and want a New York reload.
    As always, YMMV
    Rick

Gun owners' prayer:
    "Dear Lord; if I die please don't let my wife sell my gun collection...........for what I told her it was worth"

I too have both guns and lately have found my self carrying both instead of the M&P40c. I love both and have no complaints at all about either one. The LCR is usually in a IWB UBG holster while the LCP is in a Desantis Nemesis in my strong side front pocket.

thanks for the responses

I find myself carrying my little LCP everywhere as well. I also have the SW 642 - both with lasers. Here in FL where Im always wearing shorts, the little LCP is just so easy to carry. Sometimes I keep it in a "murse" (man-purse) with my keys and what not just for convenience. The 38 is easy to carry also but its a lot heavier than the LCP and Im not comfortable with it in a pocket....a little too big for that.

I'd go with the LCR. Owned a Beretta Model 21(in 22LR)..it was reliable..BUT it was a 22! I don't have alot of confidence in anything smaller than my G26. As an "ol school" guy.." Five for Sure" is the way to go! Good Luck!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links