LCP vs LCR - Page 3

LCP vs LCR

This is a discussion on LCP vs LCR within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by gottabkiddin ( 10thmtn, I'm sorry to read how your LCPs are not up to the level you deserve. Like you my confidence ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: LCP vs LCR

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    (10thmtn, I'm sorry to read how your LCPs are not up to the level you deserve. Like you my confidence in the autoloader came into question the last time I took my Sig P238 to the range. I ended up having three stove pipes outa 50 rounds and knowing how meticulous I am about keeping my carry guns conditioned, that pretty much set me on my path to start looking at the near 100% reliability of the snub revolver. My decision to change the platform of my carry guns was solidified pretty much from my first range trip. At the same distance I practice with my autos I was dead on with my Taurus 650 .357, and my LCR is no different.

You mentioned in a thread I had running that the .357 is a handful and yes sir you are correct, but I also found out quickly that the new Houge grip I added made loads of difference with the recoil and follow ups. Anyway I hope you get everything worked out and your LCP's shape up and start running right for ya
    . )
    Took my newest LCP back to the range tonight. In the first 100 rounds of S&B 92 gr FMJ(RN) I had 2 extraction failures. In the next 100 rounds of WWB 95 gr FMJ(FP) I had no failures. Feeling a bit better, I decided to try some HPR 100 gr FMJ(FP)...on the 2nd mag I had an extraction failure, and the top round in the mag had a deep "smiley" gouged into the bullet face. That was it for me...boxed it all up and went home. I kept the bullet, in case Ruger wants to see it.

I did try a S&W snubbie in a Nemesis pocket holster on the way out...waaay bigger than the LCP, and the grip prints when you sit.

I called Ruger, and their head tech will call me tomorrow. I'm so disgusted I don't know what to do anymore...I seem to have the worst luck in guns...I even managed to buy an unreliable AK once!

Maybe I'll ask Ruger to trade me my LCPs for LCRs? I dunno...will see what they say tomorrow.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Took my newest LCP back to the range tonight. In the first 100 rounds of S&B 92 gr FMJ(RN) I had 2 extraction failures. In the next 100 rounds of WWB 95 gr FMJ(FP) I had no failures. Feeling a bit better, I decided to try some HPR 100 gr FMJ(FP)...on the 2nd mag I had an extraction failure, and the top round in the mag had a deep "smiley" gouged into the bullet face. That was it for me...boxed it all up and went home. I kept the bullet, in case Ruger wants to see it.

I did try a S&W snubbie in a Nemesis pocket holster on the way out...waaay bigger than the LCP, and the grip prints when you sit.

I called Ruger, and their head tech will call me tomorrow. I'm so disgusted I don't know what to do anymore...I seem to have the worst luck in guns...I even managed to buy an unreliable AK once!

Maybe I'll ask Ruger to trade me my LCPs for LCRs? I dunno...will see what they say tomorrow.
    Be sure to update us on this situation; my LCP was doing the same thing... I would like to trade it for another revolver, maybe in a .357 color
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Bummer and exactly the delima. Mousey autos carry great, but reliability can be an issue. The LCP seems to be among the most reliable but issues are not uncommon. The LCR for me would likely be carried IWB and at that point how much easier to carry than the G19 with triple the fire power

Indeed the dilemma. When I tried the snubbie in the gun store last night, the grip printed badly when I sat down - and that was with cargo pants; in dress slacks it would likely be worse. If you use a pocket holster with an anti-print panel (not sure they even make those for revolvers) it will look like a huge book in your pocket. *sigh*

For now I have it loaded with WWB FMJ - the only ammo it didn't have issues with last night. Will await conversation with Ruger and see what they say.
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Indeed the dilemma. When I tried the snubbie in the gun store last night, the grip printed badly when I sat down - and that was with cargo pants; in dress slacks it would likely be worse. If you use a pocket holster with an anti-print panel (not sure they even make those for revolvers) it will look like a huge book in your pocket. *sigh*

For now I have it loaded with WWB FMJ - the only ammo it didn't have issues with last night. Will await conversation with Ruger and see what they say.
    I'm carrying my LCR in my SmartCarry right now, and it's absolutely the best way to carry it IMO. I agree, you have a rotten string of bad luck with your firearms it seems. I feel for ya and hope you can find some resolution pretty soon. As I stated earlier in this thread; I went to the revolver due to the malfunctions that I experienced with my Sig. After several trips to the range and using the same brand of ammo, I had three stove pipes outa it and yet the range trips before had not a problem at all. Right then I decided that the small auto might not be for me. Like everyone here I want as close to 100% reliability as possible and I've decided that the revolver comes the closest to fitting that nitch. Don't get me wrong, I'll always have and love the autoloader, but for now I'm only gonna carry revolvers for concealed carry and save the autos for home defense and range fun.

I hope the tech guy can help you resolve what ever is plaguing your LCP's, or at least identify what needs to be addressed. Sorry but, +1 on the LCR with the boot grip. Like you I'm very conscious of my concealed carry during business hours. IMO the LCP is the leader for deep concealment, but with the SmartCarry it's not any more difficult to conceal my LCR than my Sig P238 for the most part. My suggestion, and it's meant with due respect. Find ya lightweight .38 and change out the grips to aid in the concealment factor, that's what I did and I haven't looked back in several weeks and I actually feel more confident with what I'm carrying for self defense. Stay safe buddy, let us know how it goes with Ruger!

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

The Smartcarry is good - I've used one for over 2 years with my G19 and G26. What I really need is something that will be reliable and fit in a pocket...maybe such a thing is unrealistic to expect.

After 2 years of the pistol laying on the same spot when I sit, I started getting some pain with the Smartcarry setup - thus my switch back to pocket carry. I wanted two, because ambidextrous access is all but impossible with pocket carry.

Whatever Ruger says, I'm going to give the Crossbreed Quick-clip a try with my G26. I'm hoping to hide the belt clip under my cell phone holster, and the bend in the belt line under a key loop on my belt in that spot. With my dress shirt tucked and poofed out a bit, I'm hoping it will conceal OK for those times when I do not have my suit jacket on. Still the issue of the "bump frisk" though. Argh.
    CT Lasers

these are the issues I wanted to smoke out before spending more $. Does the LCR or J frames conceal better ITW than a Glock 26/27?

Gotcha! Try the Velcro belt clips. I use um on mine and they really do work nicely. I'd say they work better with the lighter firearms more so than the heavier duty size weapons. I think they're like a $10 dollar option from CB. Again I really like mine when I use that holster... Good luck!
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Spoke to Ruger...apparently Federal law prohibits them from replacing a pistol with a revolver.

So, back to Ruger it goes, for either repair or replacement. I did ask them to test fire it with at least 100 rounds before shipping it back to me. I'm going broke paying for all this test ammo!

"Smiley faces" are normal for the LCP, but when I asked them if they had any data on the effect on proper expansion of JHPs (due to the deformation of the bullet nose prior to firing), they didn't know. I asked them to look into it...but I'm not holding my breath.

At this point, I'll probably keep the LCPs if they can get this one running properly - I have a lot of money invested in the guns, lasers, holsters, etc...and they do conceal better than a revolver. If one malfunctions...well, that's why I'll carry two of 'em. But really...maybe this is the "big guy's" way of telling me to find some darn way to carry my Glock covertly.

I will say this - I will never buy another pistol smaller than a Glock 26.
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by bowzette View Post
    these are the issues I wanted to smoke out before spending more $. Does the LCR or J frames conceal better ITW than a Glock 26/27?
    Hard to say...depends on the holster, your body shape, how you dress, etc. If you can find a way to carry a Glock 26 - go for it!
    CT Lasers

Like 10thmtn says, it depends.

I believe that the small revolvers do conceal better, but I also believe that anyone could effectively conceal the small Glocks. Really, with minimal effort; anyone can conceal nearly anything. There are certain sacrifices that have to be made though. A small adjustment in one's mode of dress can prove very effective, but some people don't want to make that change, hence they say it can't be done.

The only people that I would concede have a justification for a certain mode of dress, which doesn't lend itself well to certain pistols, are people who's occupation determine their mode of dress.

Disclaimer:
    OMOYMMV. It's a personal thing, I'll not rag on anyone's choice to carry one way, or one gun, over another.

FWIW, I'm a small guy and I routinely carry either a 1911 and a j-frame, or a Glock and a j-frame.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trav View Post
    I carry the exact set up that you want. g19 is IWB and the LCP is in my front pocket. I just got the glock 2 weeks ago and I carried the LCP for a year and a half by itself. Ive never had and issues with it other than the crimson trace doesn't stay zeroed. Today it was off about 2-3 in. to the left at 7 yrds. Be carefull too if your a lefty like me...sometimes I will bump the mag release on a counter or something and it releases. I find myself checking it casually pretty often. Guess thats why it is my lil BUG.
    Same here. G19 IWB in a VersaMax-II, LCP in the front pocket in a DeSantis Nemesiss. My wife has an LCR, I also have a couple of PPK/S pistols.

I'm not a big guy (5'8"/172 lbs) but since I bought the LCP I've not found a time I wanted to carry that I couldn't carry the LCP. Put another way, the LCP has reduced to zero the times I'm unarmed when I want to be armed - that wasn't true of the PPK/S or G19, or LCR. I've carried the LCP in one or another pocket holster to weddings, in suit pants, jeans, cargo pants, shorts, jackets, sport coats, you name it - if it has a pocket I've probably had the LCP in it - I think it would fit in a swimsuit pocket but it might not like getting wet.

My wife has an LCR. She likes it a lot. So do I. I shot it in an IDPA BUG match not long ago and it worked quite well (I placed better in the BUG match with the LCR than I did in the main match with the G19). But, and it's a big "but", the LCR is not nearly as easy to conceal as an LCP. Believe me, I've tried because I really like that little revolver. Appendix carry in a Bianchi clip-on IWB under an untucked shirt is what works best with it. With the LCP I can have it in a pocket and my shirt tucked in.

In terms of concealability, I think the LCP and others of it's size like the P3AT are pretty hard to beat.

Fitch

I would say yes for the simple fact they are much lighter,in return more comfortable and easier to conceal..The overall size of the G26/27 is good for concealed carry but they are not exactly light or thin,weighing in around 22oz w/empty mag.compared to 13.5oz for the LCR

I have both the LCP & LCR, I carry the LCR daily ocassionally swapping out with my 642CT. To me the LCP is a drop in your pocket run to the mailbox, or a flat descreet carry at poolside. Both revolvers are BUG guns that backup a 45ACP. I carry the revolvers in my weakside front pocket. They both have their special purposes for different situations.

I went to the gun store again this afternoon after work, while wearing my business suit. NO WAY could I get away with a revolver in my pocket...just too big.

So, I will have no choice but to stick it out with the LCPs, and make them work.

If I can figure a way to carry my Glock again, I'll do that, and just carry my more reliable LCP as a BUG...and keep the troublesome one in reserve.
    CT Lasers

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links