LCP vs LCR

This is a discussion on LCP vs LCR within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; buy your clothes around the revolver/weapon not the other way around in a pair of carhartts wranglers or levis the lcr disappears in a desantis ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: LCP vs LCR

buy your clothes around the revolver/weapon not the other way around

in a pair of carhartts wranglers or levis the lcr disappears in a desantis pocket holster

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    buy your clothes around the revolver/weapon not the other way around

in a pair of carhartts wranglers or levis the lcr disappears in a desantis pocket holster
    That's great if you can dress that way, but as noted earlier in this thread, not all of us can choose how we get to dress.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

10thmtn is the 26 significantly easier to conceal IWB than the 19? Looks to me the grip of the 26 is .75 " shorter. I am slowly acquiring pants 2" lagrer in the waist for the Super Tuck. I guess I'm lazy. Picking out the correct clothes, putting on the holster to run to the store is sort of an effort. I can't carry at work. Don't wear a jacket often and the weather is really hot and humid around Houston area. We don't believe in winterbut we pay for it 4/5 months of the year Thus the appeal of drop in the pocket and go to the store.

Quote Originally Posted by bowzette View Post
    10thmtn is the 26 significantly easier to conceal IWB than the 19? Looks to me the grip of the 26 is .75 " shorter. I am slowly acquiring pants 2" lagrer in the waist for the Super Tuck. I guess I'm lazy. Picking out the correct clothes, putting on the holster to run to the store is sort of an effort. I can't carry at work. Don't wear a jacket often and the weather is really hot and humid around Houston area. We don't believe in winterbut we pay for it 4/5 months of the year Thus the appeal of drop in the pocket and go to the store.
    I need to be discreet, so I would not even try with a G19 - too much risk of the grip printing while bending over, etc.

I ordered the Quick-clip because it is easier to put on than the Supertuck. I tried the ST a few years ago, and it didn't work for me - the whole rig was just too big, and would have required me to buy a bunch of new suits with larger pants. New suits = $$$$$. I'm hoping the Quick-clip takes up less real estate around my waist. Will have to see when it comes in.

Nice thing is they give you 2 weeks to try it. If it does not work, you get a refund.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    I have some reservations about recommending a J-frame, espessially one with an aluminum alloy frame to anyone new to firearms. If you have not had plenty of practice and don't intend to practice often, the snub nose revolver is probably not going to be what you thought it would be. The S&W Air Weight is a short 1 7/8" barrel. It has quite a bit of recoil. The LCR is really no different.

There are many revolver users who have grown up with them and have learned and practiced. Snub nose revolvers are not easy to shoot well. Some shooters cannot hit the broad side of a barn with any snub nose. They will not automatically improve without training and lots of regular practice. It makes little difference how reliable a gun is if you can't hit anything more than 10 feet away.

Rent one and shoot it before you buy any short barreled revolver.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

SigP250; You can apply pretty much everything you mentioned regarding the recoil and accuracy to any firearm, if the end user refuses to practice with it. The revolver is about as simple and fundamentally easy to operate as a shooter can ask for, be it a novice or an old timer. Yeah the longer sight radius is easier to score with, and longer shots are difficult to manage, but depending on the distance at which you might need to defend yourself; it could prove to be a better option to try to evade as apposed to take the long shot. These guns are for up close personal defense, not range target guns. 10 feet are you serious? If someone cant hit a 2 x 2 foot target at 10 feet, I'd say learning to acquire a good sight picture and trigger control are their main problems not the firearm. I agree, about renting one at the range and try it out, but I would also throw this out there. Revolvers are so versatile and useful, that every inventory should have at least one just for the reliability factor and ease of use.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    10thmtn is the 26 significantly easier to conceal IWB than the 19?
    In a word, "yes". I have both a 19 and a 26 and have carried them both IWB as well as a Walther PPJK/S. The 26 is just enough shorter in the grip to almost completely eliminate the grip tent pole effect when you bend over with 3:00 strong side carry. The 26 is enough lighter that it is more comfortable. I'd be OK with the 26 IWB with my suit coat on but not in a tuckable with the coat off. Truth be told the Glock 26 is packable anytime the PPK/S can be packed.

The LCP in the pants pocket works just fine anytime I can't pack the 19 or 26.

Fitch

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    SigP250; You can apply pretty much everything you mentioned regarding the recoil and accuracy to any firearm, if the end user refuses to practice with it. The revolver is about as simple and fundamentally easy to operate as a shooter can ask for, be it a novice or an old timer. Yeah the longer sight radius is easier to score with, and longer shots are difficult to manage, but depending on the distance at which you might need to defend yourself; it could prove to be a better option to try to evade as apposed to take the long shot. These guns are for up close personal defense, not range target guns. 10 feet are you serious? If someone cant hit a 2 x 2 foot target at 10 feet, I'd say learning to acquire a good sight picture and trigger control are their main problems not the firearm. I agree, about renting one at the range and try it out, but I would also throw this out there. Revolvers are so versatile and useful, that every inventory should have at least one just for the reliability factor and ease of use.
    Generally, the shorter the barrel, the more felt recoil (not perceived) for most revolvers or semi auto pistols of comparable caliber. I'm not saying that the LCP is not a snappy little pistol either. I think most are aware of its recoil. Recoil is not entirely unmanageable in either the S&W 442, .38 LCR or the .380 LCP. I agree none are target pistols. I too think everyone should own a revolver. Some instructors feel that the revolver is still the best way to learn to shoot. I just think there is something about the Snub nose. It is a good looking gun in my opinion. It feels good in the hand. Many buy them only to find they can't shoot them. 10 feet is not an over exaggeration. Some will have a hard time keeping a group under 6." Over 10 feet and it does not get any better without a significant amount of practice time on a regular basis.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

I did the deed and picked up a LCR at the local gun show and traded off a totally useless Taurus 94 in 2". Sent it to Taurus 4 times since I bought it in the Spring. Thought I would get rid of it while it was working. Any suggestions on AIWB holster for the LCR. It needs to ride high enough that I can get a good grip. Sig250 I have some experience with revolvers including a snubbie I use to carry as a backup to my Sig 226. The LCR fits my hand better than the LCP and if I can't carry in a front pocket I'll carry AIWB. Thanks all for the responses.

VIP Member
    I did the deed and picked up a LCR at the local gun show and traded off a totally useless Taurus 94 in 2". Sent it to Taurus 4 times since I bought it in the Spring. Thought I would get rid of it while it was working. Any suggestions on AIWB holster for the LCR. It needs to ride high enough that I can get a good grip. Sig250 I have some experience with revolvers including a snubbie I use to carry as a backup to my Sig 226. The LCR fits my hand better than the LCP and if I can't carry in a front pocket I'll carry AIWB. Thanks all for the responses.
    The LCR seems like a good choice for you. The Taurus 94 .22 is not a great gun. I have a 4" stainless. On a good day, it might fire 5 of 9 rounds. I got mine for free otherwise I would have ditched mine too. Enjoy the new Ruger.
    - Zen Saying

I have been using a Remora 8C for my S&W 442; it works appendix, strong side or crossdraw. I would email them and ask which holster would work for your LCR. That is, if you're interested in their products...

A lot of people speak favorable of the High Noon Mr. Softy, but I don't know that it would ride high enough for you.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I have been using a Remora 8C for my S&W 442; it works appendix, strong side or crossdraw. I would email them and ask which holster would work for your LCR. That is, if you're interested in their products...

A lot of people speak favorable of the High Noon Mr. Softy, but I don't know that it would ride high enough for you.
    Mr. Softy or the tuckable version rides too low. Too much digging to grasp the grip. Don't know how the Remora works? I do want something tuckable.

"The Taurus 94 .22 is not a great gun. I have a 4" stainless. On a good day, it might fire 5 of 9 rounds."
    Sig250 I feel, or have felt, your pain. The 94 is an expensive paper weight. Sold my 709 last weekend-"Free at last, free at last, thank God, Taurus Free at last"

Congrats on the new revolver.

As for holsters, I carry mine in a uncle Mike's # 3 or just a generic IWB holster that I picked up for thirty bucks. It rides high on the belt and really isn't very comfortable, hence the price I guess, but it'll do as I carry mine in the pocket more often than not. Good luck and again, excellent choice! I have both the LCP and the LCR and love both for what they are, but I strongly prefer the LCR for a host of reason.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I have the LCR 357. I carry it in my off hand pocket all day every day as a backup to my main carry gun. If I worked in Dress Clothes and was not allowed to carry is the only way I would carry a little pocket 380. If the only way you can carry is in a small pocket in light pants then, " you do what you gotta do".

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links