LCP vs LCR

This is a discussion on LCP vs LCR within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Glock 19 and and CBST holster for HD and serious carry. Looking for something to stick in my pocket or IWB without ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: LCP vs LCR

LCP vs LCR

I have a Glock 19 and and CBST holster for HD and serious carry. Looking for something to stick in my pocket or IWB without wearing larger size pants to go to WallyWorld type trips in a small, reatively safe, town. There is the 5 rds of .38+P vs 7 rds of .380 debate. I can go with either one. The revolver vs small, mousey auto debate. The LCP seems to be one of the few small .380 consistently reliable but still not as reliable as the revolver. Neither one is a range gun but the LCR should be more shooting friendly. I haven't shot either one, but I have shot a steel J frame well in the past. I'm more inclinded to go with the LCR as a better choice if I don't have to dress around it. No point in carrying a 5 shot LCR if I can carry the 19 about as well. LCR isn't going to work in jean pockets and may print too much in dress paints while the LCP should work fine. Seeking experince from the group.

2. Remove Ads

RGC
    I have an LCP and carry it in my front pocket all the time. I love the gun as a BUG to my colt or as a primary carry once in a while.

Distinguished Member
    I have both, and they are both great guns. I did have a problem with my LCP which I bought when they first came out with the magazine release. Sent it to Ruger and had it back in 2 weeks and it works great. So far I put an additional 150 rounds through the LCP without any hickups at all. I do pocket carry it as a backup to my G23 / G27. As for the LCR I don't consider it to be a pocket gun because its about the size of the mini glocks and I have not been able to pocket carry that either. With +P rounds through it, it does have some kick but the grip on it takes a lot of the punishment out of it. If you are looking for a true pocket carry I would go with the LCP, if you are looking for a good light revolver to carry the LCR is a great piece.
    "Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Sig Sauer P250 2Sum 9mm, P250c 9mm - Glock 23 - Springfield Armory Loaded .45, XD Service 9mm - Ruger LCP, LCR, Smith & Wesson 638

NRA Member

I have both and the LCP goes in the pocket very easy. It is lighter than the LCR and I consider it very reliable. The LCR is a bit heavier and I can't get it in "my" pocket very easily. Others might be able to, but I can't. My vote goes to the LCP. Plus it cost less. Both are easy and fun to shoot.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

The LCP will fit in any men's pocket, while the LCR will only fit in some larger ones.

While lighter in weight, alloy/polymer snubbies are no smaller than a baby Glock (thicker around the cylinder, actually).

We have 3 LCPs in our family. My wife carries one, and I either carry one as a backup to my G26, or I sometimes carry two of them. My wife's was an early one, and was recalled. Hers also had the head of the takedown pin shear off (the pistol still fired). My latest one had numerous jams (double feed, failure to extract) and the mag popped loose a few times - this was all in the first 200 rounds. I just got it back from Ruger today (11 day turnaround) - they replaced the slide, extractor, extractor spring, and recoil springs. Will have to see how it works when I get it to the range. My other LCP has close to 1000 flawless rounds through it.

So...1/3 LCPs flawless, 2/3 have had issues. My advice? I dunno anymore. My experience with small autos has been more negative than positive...three Kahrs with issues, and 2/3 LCPs. I just ordered a Crossbreed Quick-clip holster for my G26...I'm going to give IWB carry another try, even though my needs are more "covert" than simply "concealed." I trust my Glocks. But my faith in small autos has taken a hit, I will have to admit.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I have a J-frame for pocket carry. I don't trust my LCP, it's been having some issues and I haven't had time to investigate. And I found that I can shoot the J-frame better, so that's my choice.

Are you set on the LCR? I agree with the other guys, it's a little big for pocket carry, but that's subjective.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Ok, I am going to answer a question you didn't ask.

The LCP has its place, pocket or deep concealment carry and little range time. If all you want is that quick thing to drop in your pocket, go for the LCP

The LCR is not as easy to conceal will be a bit more friendly at the range but will be harder to find ways to carry.

My suggestion would be if your seriously thinking of a revolver to up one more notch to the SP101 3" then you can have a decent carry gun, no it won't fit in your pocket but the LCR probably won't either, however you can shoot the 101 all day at the range with .38's and quite a while with .357's.

It wasn't in your choices, but is worth considering.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I was not uber impressed with the LCP when my wife and I tested it out. We both found the Sig p238 to me much better all around. You sacrifice a little bit of size but I think its a more comfortable and accurate. The sig would be invisible in an IWB and is small enough to carry in a pocket i think.
    I have only handled the LCR and have been very impressed with they feel. But, like a said thats all I have done.

Just my 2c

"Are you set on the LCR?" Not "set", but has a better trigger than the Smith Js and from what I've read handles recoil better. I think steel J frame size is too heavy though will more fun to shoot. I may buy other Glocks or XDs in the future but these don't meet the "grab the gun and go to the store" I'm looking for. I think the LCP seems to be the most reliable of the small .380s but it is not without issues and the more rounds shot the closer to an "issue". There are no smaller thinner single stack 9s I'm interested in other than the PPS. It cost $600 and weighs almost as much as my 19. A PPS would be IWB only. But I'm open to suggestions.
    ",

Wolf the 101 3 in and spurless is a great gun and would like to have one. But I don't think it does anything my 19 doesn't. I don't think it would be much easier to conceal than the 19 and would have to be IWB. The delima is carrying something really easy to drop in a pocket or IWB sized to fit like the small .380 seem to have reliability issues, seems to be hit or miss with each gun, and the light J frame size are not as easy to conceal but are more reliable.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    I have both and the LCP goes in the pocket very easy. It is lighter than the LCR and I consider it very reliable. The LCR is a bit heavier and I can't get it in "my" pocket very easily. Others might be able to, but I can't. My vote goes to the LCP. Plus it cost less. Both are easy and fun to shoot.
    + 1
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

I went snubbie shopping, specifically to compare the LCR and the SP101. Honestly, I was leaning toward the SP101, but the LGS didn't have it.

So, I ended up comparing the LCR with a 442-1. I dry fired them both; they both felt good in the hand. I was surprised, but to me the 442 had a better trigger and the cylinder mechanics seemed to work better. To me, the cylinder workings were a little sloppy on the LCR, compared with the 442. The S&W also felt like the bore axis was a little lower. So all things considered, I went with the 442 and never looked back.

I was looking for a revolver specifically for pocket carry. The LCR just didn't fit my needs. And, the reason that I was shopping for a revolver was because I had lost faith in the LCP...

Only one man's opinion, and it's subject to getting changed a lot
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by bowzette View Post
    Wolf the 101 3 in and spurless is a great gun and would like to have one. But I don't think it does anything my 19 doesn't. I don't think it would be much easier to conceal than the 19 and would have to be IWB. The delima is carrying something really easy to drop in a pocket or IWB sized to fit like the small .380 seem to have reliability issues, seems to be hit or miss with each gun, and the light J frame size are not as easy to conceal but are more reliable.
    There in lies the problem to your question. Both are very different platforms, and require different carry methods for most people. I have choosen so far to eliminate pocket carry from my options, and choose to dress around the gun.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by bowzette View Post
    "Are you set on the LCR?" Not "set", but has a better trigger than the Smith Js
    I don't agree. Weight isn't everything. I would rather have the smooth consistent trigger pull of a J-Frame.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I recently switched from a Ruger LCP .380 to a S&W 642 .38 and I have had no trouble pocket carrying it in a Desantis Nemises pocket holster.

People expect to see bulges in your pockets, lots of people carry items in them and no one really pays attention to that sort of thing.

I am more comfortable with .38 Special +P than I am with .380 acp. for self defense.

I trust the reliability of a revolver over a small auto, especially when it comes to things like pocket lint and debris.

I hope this helps somewhat in your decision, and good luck! Seems like the quest to find that perfect CCW handgun is neverending! OMO.
    God bless our troops!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links