Any Consensus on Sig P238?

This is a discussion on Any Consensus on Sig P238? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by farronwolf One of the ladies in our class last weekend had a brand new P238. She had shot a total of 6 ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Consensus on Sig P238?

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    One of the ladies in our class last weekend had a brand new P238. She had shot a total of 6 rounds through it prior to the class, and was a new shooter herself.

I handled the gun a bit, looked it over, but didn't shoot it. It seems like a well put together package. On the range qualifying the gun had no issues. Even as a new shooter she shot pretty well with it and it seemed accurate based on the shooter.

Take JD's advice and do a bit of research, then go from there. I wouldn't let an internet story or two discourage you from going with what appears to be a good platform if they have the kinks worked out of it.

Good luck.
    Thanks, farronwolf. I have purchased the gun, and the FFL has it. I just need to pick it up from him. Prior to purchasing it, we put 50 rounds through a rental unit at TargetMasters in Garland, Tx. Both the wife and I really liked it and it was the largest caliber she was comfortable firing. Just got my TX CHL in September (30 day turn around -- unbelievable!).

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    You can contact them via phone, I don't know if they will have the data on hand or not, but it would be a start. Looking at the box will be better and immediate indicator of "newness"

You can use Colt Mustang mags (Cot factory or Metalform mags, not the knock offs), CDNN has them at a good price. Generally speaking you don't need that many mags for a pocket gun, but I like to keep a good number of mags on hand. Make sure you number or otherwise mark your mags and track them in your note taking.

In my notes I included magazine number, number of rounds loaded, +1 or just the mag, type of ammunition, slow fire, rapid fire, overall gun temp IE hot after firing three mags rapid etc. Try and recover your brass after every mag, on my last test I managed to find all 99 casings fired and was able to verify a lack of major deformities that could've indicated a problem.

Note how much and what kind of oil is being used etc. Are you running wet, or just a little oil etc. Once your data indicates to you that the gun is a solid performer you should be good.7

My wife has shot SA EMPs before and was impressed with them. It's in a different size class then a 238, but not by much, you might like the Kahr line of pistols as well if you're not dead set an a 238 or 1911 pattern pistol.
    Thanks for the extensive information and ideas. I didn't know you could interchange the colt mags with the sig mags -- sounds like a good idea. I told my wife about all the note taking, and she was impressed with the attention to detail that you and many others have with regard to your firearms. I also told her that I keep a log also, though I'm probably not as consistent as you.

I've shot the Kahr CW-9, 40 and 45 and loved them all. I was really impressed by easily handled the Kahr CW-45 is. No more kick than the CW-40, which was easily managed. Nice package. My better half had great difficult racking the slide on any of the Kahr models, unfortunately. So, for the present, those are out of contention for her. Me, on the other hand -- I've got an XD 9SC and an XD 40. I thought I'd carry the XD 9SC, but man its heavy. I've purchased a super-tuck holster and will see how that works. I was really surprised when I tried appendix carry and found it to be comfortable and concealable. Anyway, in search of a lighter carry gun, I may go for the Kahr's assuming research and people's opinions say they are as reliable as the SA XD's and more reliable than the Sig.

When I first heard that the P238 was coming out, I was pleased. I thought that it would be wonderful for a company known for producing guns that work (even though they may be ugly and may not be the easiest to shoot well) were going to make a Mustang Pocketlite copy. I have two Mustang Pocketlites, and they always work, but the sights suck. A few hundred rounds through both of mine, and nary a malf of any kind, but I always wanted good sights. The sights were the major appeal of the 238 to me. Then, I start hearing of problems with function; major problems..what the hell? I'll stick with my old Colts, lousy sights and all, till Sig fixes the (inexcusable) problems, thank you.

Sedulous,
    The extractor can be slightly bent or sprung to increase the tension on the cartridge rim. The Colt Mustang mags I have will work in the P238 but they will not extract the last empty casing. The follower in the Colt mag is taller and the empty catches on it. Mine likes all brands of ammo except the Buffalo Bore +p copper coated flat nose. I keep mine loaded with a Speer Gold Dot in the chamber and the mag full of Buffalo Bore 95 grain +p hard cast lead flat nose. I pocket carry it in a Stoner leather holster. Spare mag is carried in a homemade leather pouch in my hip pocket. My manner of dress allows me to carry a full size Colt 1911 almost all the time but the P238 comes in handy for those few times I cannot.

I have a p238, blue box too! Zero problems and its laser accurate. Very easy shooting gun. Mine has the nite sights which are nice and bright in the dark. I wouldnt hesitate to buy another one.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Is there any kind of positive consensus on the P238
    There is for me. Mine has been 100% reliable. (and fun to shoot)

Quote Originally Posted by itschuck View Post
    I have a p238, blue box too! Zero problems and its laser accurate. Very easy shooting gun. Mine has the nite sights which are nice and bright in the dark. I wouldnt hesitate to buy another one.
    Thanks for the positive note! I'm quite pleased to hear of good experiences with the pistol!

I love my Sig .380. 100% reliable here too. It is my usual EDC. Very accurate and pleasant to shoot. It conceals very well whether in a pocket holser, ankle holster, OWB/IWB holster or whatever. Very lightweight. I don't even notice it which makes it very comfortable to wear. Some have obviously had problems, but many others have not. There are a number of people in my circle of friends/acquaintances that carry this gun regularly. I don't hear of any problems from them.
    Glock, Colt, S&W,Beretta,ParaOrdnance
    Springfields, Browning, Keltec... to name a few.

TSRA, NRA, IDPA, IPSC, USPSA
    NRA Certified RSO and Instructor
    Certified CHL Instructor in Texas and Lousisiana

I have the p238 HD. Gun is very accurate the only problem is I had issues with FTE and missfeeds. I called sig and they sent me a upgraded recoil spring and I still had the same issues. I just recently mirror polished the feed ramp and received a new magazine from sig today this magazine looks totaly different from my original. I believe the problems that many have had with the p238 has a lot to do with the original magazine. I have not shot the gun yet with the new upgrades I will keep you posted as soon as i do.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jrkrk View Post
    I have the p238 HD. Gun is very accurate the only problem is I had issues with FTE and missfeeds. I called sig and they sent me a upgraded recoil spring and I still had the same issues. I just recently mirror polished the feed ramp and received a new magazine from sig today this magazine looks totaly different from my original. I believe the problems that many have had with the p238 has a lot to do with the original magazine. I have not shot the gun yet with the new upgrades I will keep you posted as soon as i do.
    Check your extractor for "clocking", the flat side of the extractor should stay lined up with the slide, if it's rotating in it's channel, that could be the cause of your problems.

Thanx JD I will check that out also.

I tried to provide links but they wouldn't work so I am editing this post to let you know that you can get on sigforum.com, go to sig pistols, and look for thread titled Sig P238 Range Report. This thread has pictures of all 3 generations of magazines. I guess I made a mistake and ordered the 11lb springs instead of the 12lb springs from Wolf and the 11lb spring provided no difference in results. I will order the 12lb recoil springs later when I get time.
    Last edited by bluemarlin; October 30th, 2010 at 04:25 AM. Reason: links did not work

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links