Kel-Tec PF-9 - Page 2

Kel-Tec PF-9

This is a discussion on Kel-Tec PF-9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've had my PF9 for about 18 months, now, and I am quite happy with it... But it does kick pretty hard. And I learned ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kel-Tec PF-9

I've had my PF9 for about 18 months, now, and I am quite happy with it... But it does kick pretty hard. And I learned to shoot S&W M19 4" 357 magnums and a 2" S&W M38 Airweight with full power ammo 34 years ago, so I am no stranger to recoil. My 16 yr old son tried one mag thru my PF9 and he now refuses to shoot it. My wife, watching all this, won't even try the PF9, but she and my son enjoy shooting her Bersa 380 and my Ruger P95.
    I have since modified my PF9 a bit: added a Hogue Handall Jr. grip sleeve AND Pearce mag extensions (from a Kahr PM9), which have made the PF9 much more comfortable AND accurate to shoot. I am now trying to decide which laser to add to the PF9. I like the Crimson Trace grips on my wife's Bersa, but I am leaning HARD towards the new Armalaser Stingray mini for my PF9. I just bought a Kel Tec P32 last Sunday and it WILL get a C/T laserguard.
    I only wonder if we will end up arguing who gets to carry the P32, its so small and light, it just disappears in a pocket!!!

I've had mine about 2 years.

At 10 yards you can put them all on a paper plate. Yeah, the trigger sucks and so do the sights, but it only cost $270.

It is advertised as the thinnest 9mm ever made. (.88" thick) It is extremely easy to conceal.

As far as recoil goes, it snaps hard and makes my hand sore after a box of ammo. (I'm not shy for recoil) I can shoot my Redhawk 44 with hot handloads of 305 grain bullets and not get a sore hand.

Kev
    <><

The PF-9 is one of the most accurate firearm in its size I have ever shot.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

If price is a consideration, then KelTec PF-9 or Taurus PT709, both best gun for the buck IMHO. God Bless

Its a snappy little pistol with a lot of trigger slap, which is the main reason it's no fun to shoot for prolonged range sessions. Mine's been very accurate and reliable with jacketed ammo, it doesn't like my cast reloads which function just fine in my Glocks. It's a good value too IMO.

CAn dance a coke can out to 15 yards consistently with mine. Yeah it kicks some but no worse than my snub 38. When I first got ine I shot 200 rounds and suffered no ill effects to my hand or wrist. Sure not as comfortable as a full size gun but no worse than any gun of its size. Nothing wrong with the sights either, though I wished they made some night sights for it.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I found the PF9 pretty easy to shoot and handle. Here's a pic from my gun files made shortly after I bought this particular PF9

They are ideal for IWB carry, and accurate once you get the feel for the long, heavy trigger. My only complaint was the lack of night sight availability.

surv

Great EDC gun. Very accurate up to about 20 feet (for me at least ). Which out of a 3" barrel can you really ask for much else? The recoil is not nearly as bad as people claim it is. Just put on a hogue hand-all Jr. sleeve and it feels great in the hand. It shoots anything I run through it but really seems to enjoy Fiocchi 124gr JHP's. Put it in a Crossbreed Supertuck and you'll love it. That is the key to an EDC pistol....it must be the size and weight that you'll actually carry EVERY time you leave the house. If not, then what good is it? I'm a federal LEO and I handle a bunch of guns, but the PF-9 is my off duty primary. Most of the FTF's and FTE's are from user error, typically not fully releasing the long trigger pull fast enough.
    Carry on my friend~~

Smith & Wesson SW9VE
    Smith & Wesson M&P 15
    Kel-Tec PF9

VIP Member
    Concur w/Carryon. I picked one up a couple weeks ago on a whim. The recoil was not worth mentioning and it was dead-accurate if I could hold on target during what seemed like the never-ending trigger pull. The good news is that it ran flawlessly with over 280 rounds, including a box of WWB. The bad news is that even after all that shooting, I'm still no closer to being able to stage the trigger due to the wicked stacking. Okay, so it made me work hard to keep it in inside of 3" at 25'. However, even the slop and rapid fire stayed within a 10" circle.

Given its reliability, and brain-dead manual of arms, it has gained my trust to go into my carry rotation as an available option. I've certainly spent a lot more on other firearms that will likely never gain that trust.
    Last edited by WHEC724; November 15th, 2010 at 10:35 AM.

I'm considering getting this for my gf and myself...

I keep hearing about the crazy kick, but guys... This thing weighs less than some pocket .380s! Expect some kick...

It's also very slim which makes it ideal for apex, 3-4 carry...

It does have a long trigger, but realize this is a pocket 9mm, it's copying the design of most other pocket pistols. Plus it's like 6 lbs. That's light compared to some like p11 and bg380.

If you can hit where you point at 15-20 feet, you are using what this pistol was intended for.

I wouldn't expect to hit mile shots with my m4, or clear a room with my m24. They all have their purpose...

I'm really curious about the kick though as I haven't fired it... Some say their wrists hurt after 50 rounds, and some say it's not as bad as people make it out to be... Unfortnetly I can't find one to test, so I'm gonna have to buy and then decide. Good thing they sell fast if I decide to let it go...

Seems like a great pistol to me. I wish someone copied the idea like rugged and made it better. The only thing comparable is the pm9 and that's twice the cost and not as thin and weighs more

I just got one. Tried some Cor-Bon JHP 115g+P (what I use in my full size 9mm) in it. Was way too much for me to handle. Regular fmj practice rounds were tough too, but manageble. Can anyone who owns this gun recommend a low recoil defensive round?

Quote Originally Posted by mjw6263 View Post
    I just got one. Tried some Cor-Bon JHP 115g+P (what I use in my full size 9mm) in it. Was way too much for me to handle. Regular fmj practice rounds were tough too, but manageble. Can anyone who owns this gun recommend a low recoil defensive round?
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=245303

I looked at that. Many of the reviews dispute the low recoil claim.
    Have you personally tried that round?

Quote Originally Posted by mjw6263 View Post
    What is it that hurts so damn bad? your wrist? your finger? I just dont get how a pistol can hurt to shoot. I've never had a problem

Quote Originally Posted by taseal View Post
    What is it that hurts so damn bad? your wrist? your finger? I just dont get how a pistol can hurt to shoot. I've never had a problem
    I agree. If you have a Hogue Hand-All Jr sleeve grip on it there is no pain to speak of. I've put up to 200 rds down range with this gun with no discomfort issues. I've used Fiocchi 124gr JHP's with great success. The benefits of +p ammo are way overblown. No point in them.
    Carry on my friend~~

Smith & Wesson SW9VE
    Smith & Wesson M&P 15
    Kel-Tec PF9

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links