Kel-Tec PF-9

Kel-Tec PF-9

This is a discussion on Kel-Tec PF-9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can anyone comment on the accuracy of a Kel-Tec PF-9, used?...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kel-Tec PF-9

Kel-Tec PF-9

Can anyone comment on the accuracy of a Kel-Tec PF-9, used?
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

More accurate than I am and meets my requirement for a self defense gun.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I had one briefly and it wasn't a point and shoot gun. Short barrel and short sight line makes you work for your shots. It's fine for a 3 yard and under gun but it's defiantly a hand full running +P rounds at normal self defense distances and still darn snappy with target rounds after about 20 pulls of the trigger.

You won't grab 4 or 5 boxes of ammo and head out for a fun time at the range. It is what it is and that's a pocket 9mm.
    Last edited by NC Bullseye; October 28th, 2010 at 02:34 AM. Reason: spelling

At 5 yards I can hit red dot bulls eyes with mine consistently. But its not exactly fun to do so.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

It's as accurate as any 3" pocket semi can be. It'll hit where you aim it. The problem is aiming it. The sights are worthless, and it kicks like a drunken mule. You gotta hold onto the little banger for multiples! This is more of a "point and shoot" gun rather than an "aimed and fire" type. Shooting from a low ready position or looking over the slide seems to work best. All that being said, it's a lot of firepower in a tiny package. Mine was flawless through two years and several thousand rounds of CC. I'd recommend it.

Mine can shoot Coke cans off fenceposts at ~25 yards or so. Plenty accurate for a gun of it's size, in my opinion.

Sponsor

Trigger pull

It has a long trigger pull, that is basically a safety feature, just like a revolver, plus a feature which blocks the hammer from hitting the firing pin until the hammer is activated.
    Is accurate at short distances, you would have to practice the grip above all because , just like Keltyke says, it kicks like a mule.

If you can master the trigger, you own it, before that, good luck.

A big plus: Is one of the thinnest compact pistols out there, very easy to conceal.
    Here is mine with ghost glow-on sights:
    Go with the glow

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    I have one of the very first PF-9s and have never had any problems with numerous types of ammo. It is definitely not a target gun. Its what used to be called a belly gun and is for up close and personal.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

When mine wasn't jamming it shot fairly accurate. But definetly not a fun range gun to put a lot of rounds through.

Interesting thread and replies. I have two PF-9s, both in hard chrome. The triggers suck, though not at a P-11 level. The sights are adequate, as plastic sights go. I had to change out the sights on both mine, as they shot WAY high from the factory. Both mine will shoot 4" or better groups at 25 yards off a bench, if you can struggle through the trigger pulls and the somewhat nasty recoil for a 9x19.

Plenty accurate out to 15 yards.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Minute of badguy at any reasonable distance. Trigger pull sucks, but it works. I had a few FTFs in the first 200 rounds, never an issue ever since.

A friend of mine picked one up not too long ago. I shot it well when we took it out to give it a try. It surprised me to put all 6 rounds on a paper plate shooting from hip at approx 10-15'. I guess it fits my hand or something. If I didn't have an MK9 I would pick one up.

We only ran 100 through it with no problems first time out. I don't think he even cleaned it before shooting.

It probably is around the size of your Walther, but a lot lighter and in a more common round.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    I had one briefly and it wasn't a point and shoot gun. Short barrel and short sight line makes you work for your shots. It's fine for a 3 yard and under gun but it's defiantly a hand full running +P rounds at normal self defense distances and still darn snappy with target rounds after about 20 pulls of the trigger.

You won't grab 4 or 5 boxes of ammo and head out for a fun time at the range. It is what it is and that's a pocket 9mm.
    My experence, exactally....
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Does it conceal well in the back pocket?
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links