Smith & Wesson 642 .38 Revolver - Page 2

Smith & Wesson 642 .38 Revolver

This is a discussion on Smith & Wesson 642 .38 Revolver within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Got one a few months ago to carry while I saved up for a Kahr. Within a week I had lost all interest in the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Smith & Wesson 642 .38 Revolver

Got one a few months ago to carry while I saved up for a Kahr. Within a week I had lost all interest in the Kahr, the 642 is just too handy! Carry anywhere, conceal easy, no safety to fumble with and the trigger does seem to smooth out with use. Can't see myself ever being without one now.

The 642 was my first actual carry gun, used it to qualify for my permit the second time I took it to the range. As others have said, it's a breeze to carry and it's so small there are plenty of carry options. I carry a fullsize 1911 most of the time now but the 642 still gets carried when wardrobe makes concealing the 1911 too difficult. It kicks pretty good with 125 +P Golden Sabers but I think it's a hoot n' a half! Someday I'll get a 649 to keep it company but there are several others on my list before that.
    Jack

The 642 fills a niche

I've had a S&W 642 for about 8 years, and feel that it is an excellent gun for a specific application. That application is a lightweight pocket or ankle carry gun that is absolutely reliable and intended for short range use to save your life.

The gun weighs 15 ounces empty and maybe 18 ounces loaded, and is not fun to shoot with .38 +P ammo because of a heavy trigger, 2-finger boot grips and stiff recoil. But it can be concealed more easily than most other guns and fired with the muzzle in contact with your adversary, if needed. It is very useful as a backup gun that you go to when something prevents you from using your larger primary gun.

I think that a good way to carry this gun (if you are right handed and have your primary in a belt holster on your right side) is in your left pants pocket. The weight will tend to balance your primary, and you can go for it with your left hand if your right hand is disabled or in use fending off your attacker.

I enjoy the heck out of my 642

It came with the "custom" CT Laser grips and I can line up my shots quickly and reliably. Usually I can put all 5 rounds into a 1.5 - 2 inch grouping with the laser firing fairly quickly.

The trigger does take time to "work in" so I dry fire it with the Snap rounds in it.

My wife has the twin of the revolver and likes hers a lot. We went to the range a bit back and she tried mine out and she noticed that the action was smoother and not nearly as stiff.

So yeah, I'm dry firing hers now too. Figure after about 10,000 pulls on each gun I'll be done...and my trigger finger will be able to break bricks!

I use a "Uncle Mike's" pocket holster for mine and it carries like a wallet in my front pocket. (That I keep in my other pocket!) Gun comes right out nicely enough.

I tend to keep Federal Hydras in it, but lately I've been keeping Speer Gold Dots for carry, just based on what I've been reading on bullet performance. And I keep two speed strips with 6 rounds each on my belt in a small "digital film" carry case.

So yeah, I like the 642s. I also have that little Kel-Tec P32 and an old Enfield Pistol that I like to shoot.

Next? Probably either a XD45 or a 1911 of some sort. And a nice rifle and shotgun are in the mix too!

Now, about those "laser guided bullets"......
    Armed & Dangerous...and Inconspicuous...

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    i also have a sw642 for a bug to my ultra carry II. I helped the poor sight problem with a dab of orange paint and some lg405 crimson trace laser grips. I love the combo, and with the laser it is very accurate and easy to shoot. I haven't done anything to the trigger as with practice I have gotten used to it.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

I carry the 642 as my CCW in a pocket holster with a 6 round speed strip in weak side pocket. I feel very confident that the gun will fire when needed. It is difficult to fire very accurately like a larger gun for me, but I am still a relative newbie to CCW in general as well. Carrying is incredibly easy on the body and very concealable. As others have noted, shooting +p loads will snap the gun and make target reacquisition challenging. My wife considered the 642 but opted for a SW model 60 because it is steel and absorbs recoil of the Gold Dot +p better.

Mo
    I have the 637, which is the 642 with external hammer. I know the external hammer is less than ideal for CCW but as long as I keep it in a pocket holster, it never snags on the draw. I usually only carry it on days when I need to wear a dress shirt/tie/Docker's combo to work and can't go untucked with a semi-auto IWB as I prefer.

One thing you might want to think about - I have Crimson Trace grips on it. They're the hard plastic model that replicates the size of the factory Hogue boot grips. They really give me confidence when shooting rapid double-action, and they're bright enough for any indoor scenario or outdoor overcast/night use. CT just came out with a new model (L-405, I think?) which have a nice soft backstrap and frontstrap while still being trim enough to not hinder pocket carry.

My $.02

After posting earlier that we had left my wife's 642 stock, at her request I dropped it off today for trigger work. It will be a spring kit and a small amount of polishing. Gunsmith said it will take the pull from the 12-15 lb range to below 10 lbs. Given where it's at now, for $35 + about $8 for parts it should be money well spent.

This is a great BUG at a decent price. Five shots before having to reload does not give me sufficient comfort, however, so I personally would not carry as my main piece. This is not an aiming gun so I'd practice point and shoot at short distances to get comfortable with it. That's its best purpose.

The one my wife carries has the Crimson Trace grips, which suit her needs better than the sights. Without the CT grips, it's an even better value, I just saw them for $354 at Ordnance Outsellers: http://www.ordnanceoutsellers.com/index.htm

I carry my 642 everywhere, even when carrying My P239 or CZ PO1. It is great for me as I normally am in Dockers and either a dress shirt or golf shirt as I go about my daily business. Can carry IWB in cooler weather where I am wearing a cover garment or pocket carry when the weather is warmer. Be sure to practice with it a lot and you will become proficient. I like the Speer Gold Dot 135 Gr +P Short Barrel load and that is what I carry in mine. My wife stokes her 637 with the same load. She also has a model 60 but prefers the lighter weight of the 637. Hers also has the CT grips. These are great guns but the need for practice with them cannot be over emphasized. Safe Shooting and God Bless!
    USAF Retired

I carry one mainly because of it's size and weight. It is tiring to fire a lot of rounds at the range. There are more comfortable guns out there, but I figure if I ever have to use it, I will only need a couple of shots. I think that I can pull that off.

Super Nice Pistol

I bought my 642 a few months back. I highly recommend the Crimson Trace Grips. I have used them in daylight conditions at the range and they are dead on as long as your trigger pull is smooth. This little baby is light, snag free, and always ready to fire with one in wait under the firing pin. Some folks do not like the .38, they believe it is too small of a caliber. I say that the .38 served police forces nationally for decades. I do not want to kill anyone. If I have to use this pistol for a defensive situation, I pray I never will have to, the .38 slug will stop any BG and that little red laser will scare the crap out of them when I pull the gun. BUY ONE, YOU WILL NEVER REGRET IT. Go to K&D Holsters online and browse their 2 in 1 pocket holster for this pistol. It is an awsome fit.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kelsey
    Does anyone own one of these revolvers and what is your opinion about it? Thanx
    +1 ace11golf!

I don't have the 642 but I do have the 640 (stainless version) and really like it for its reliability and concealability. After seeing and shooting a 642 I wish I had one!

It's a fine weapon with the right ammo.

If there is a way you can shoot one before you buy one that would be ideal!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    My wife carries a 642. She loves it. She's a small framed woman and can hide it pretty well, and she doesn't have any problem with the recoil, even with +Ps
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links