Smith & Wesson 642 .38 Revolver

This is a discussion on Smith & Wesson 642 .38 Revolver within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Great weapon. You will not regret it....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Smith & Wesson 642 .38 Revolver

Great weapon. You will not regret it.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

2. Remove Ads

I have had one since they hit the street in 1991-I think a shrouded J-frame airweight .38 is as handy as it gets. As somebody above said, not a beginner's gun and not "fun" for practice, but very useful because it can ride anywhere. I use an ankle rig (I found a comfortable LEFTY ankle rig after going through 5 brands) or a cheap UM pocket holster. I've gone through several grip shapes and wound up with the Hogue that kind of snaps on. Bantam, maybe? I keep some factory grips and a T-grip around in case I need it for a pair of dress slacks pocket carry. I have a pair of big, squareback Pachymars I can slap on for fun shooting.
    Weakness-yes, the sights are almost imaginary. The silver front disappears in sunlight, at least for my eyes. I blacken the front sight with marker. I read a whole thread somewhere...maybe the S&W forum...on improving sights, there are some options like that. The action is stiff as a board, maybe I should do "something" to smooth and lighten, but I'm always scared of light hammer hits so I haven't done anything. Maybe I ought to just dry fire the heck out of it. If anyone has the whole scoop from a scaredy-cat kitchen table gun tinkerer's viewpoint on re-springing and smoothing, I'd like to see it.
    I have some Nyclad .38 loads (-P, I call them) for carry, and I shoot a light 148 HBWC for fun. NOTE: Target wadcutters in a speedloader is NOT a fast reload! I carry Speedstrips for spare carry ammo. This is my favorite gun for when I can't really dress to carry a gun, or actually when I'm too lazy to carry a gun, and rides with me constantly at work as a BUG. It is carried a lot more than it has or ever will be shot, but everyone who carries NEEDS a good J-frame, anyway, and this one is it for me.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog
    I found a comfortable LEFTY ankle rig after going through 5 brands
    Do you mind sharing the brand of this rig?
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

http://www.desantisholster.com/044.html
    I didn't buy this new, but I'm 99% sure this is it. I also have a Renegade brand ankle holster that is comfortable and that conceals a bit better, but I think this thumb break model is a bit more secure. Plus, I couldn't find a lefty Renegade and came across this used DeSantis on the boards...set an internet speed record buying it! Before, I have used a Safariland, Uncle Mike's, Lawman Line (cheap Renegade), and Alessi. For me, this has been the best combination of security and comfort, worn over quarter boots or with regular shoes. As usual, YMMV.
    best, sheepdog

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Thanks. I've been toying with getting another 642 to use as a BUG, and was thinking of ankle carry as an option. I like shooting my wife's 642. They are great little guns.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links