CCW for my wife

This is a discussion on CCW for my wife within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SteveCollins A revolver isn't the answer, especially a short barreled one. Small gun, small sights, small grip, heavy trigger pull, and then ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CCW for my wife

Quote Originally Posted by SteveCollins View Post
    A revolver isn't the answer, especially a short barreled one. Small gun, small sights, small grip, heavy trigger pull, and then put arthritis on top of it? Come on...
    I think that depends on the revolver. I wouldn't go with something like a J-frame but I see nothing wrong with the SP101. It's no smaller then any other sub compact pistol out there. The sights are no worse. The trigger is debatable. No, it's probably not as easy to pull as the Beretta but in SA but double action it's probably pretty close. And I would take 5 rounds of .357 to 6-7 rounds of .380 any day of the weak. And no slide to rack. Seems like a win/win situation to me. The issue I think is that now days when people think revolver they automatically think of the j-frame or the LCR. Basically they think about the BUG or pocket revolvers because generally speaking that's what the revolver has been relegated to. The SP101 with the 3 inch barrel "aint no j-frame". It's a compact revolver but for most people a pocket gun it tis not.

Edit - And almost forgot. Plenty of aftermarket grips available to make it fit her hand even better.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

2. Remove Ads

I just checked the Beretta website, and they don't list the model 86 anymore, so I guess it'd be off to look at the used gun market.

Technique and training don't trump the pain of arthritis. It doesn't help the shooter to go and shoot fifty rounds or so, then be in excuriating pain for the next 4 days, just to be able to say, "well, at least I don't have that puny .380..." This is a real issue with a lot of people, and takes a lot of thought on our parts when it comes to recommending guns to those who live with it.
    Suarez International Staff Instructor

"I am not afraid to go unarmed...I simply detest being unarmed. It is a contemptible and undignified condition in which to find oneself."

NRA Life Member

Have you pulled the trigger on a LCR? if not try it and then speak to it. A revolver is exactly what someone with weak hands would need regardless of their affliction.

The LCR has a Houge grip that actually has a gel cushion built into the grip on the back strap to help absorb some of the recoil. IMO, it's one of the most comfortable firing handguns I've fired in a long time.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Have you pulled the trigger on a LCR? if not try it and then speak to it. A revolver is exactly what someone with weak hands would need regardless of their affliction.
    I was amazed when I tried the trigger on a LCR. It was better then some DAO semi's I have shot.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I was amazed when I tried the trigger on a LCR. It was better then some DAO semi's I have shot.

I agree Rollo.

I had a S&W years ago that I bought form a friend that had a trigger job done on it and no kidding, it had the smoothest and lightest trigger action I have ever seen or felt on a revolver. I sold it like a fool and regretted it ever since. IMO, the LCR right outa the box is the next best thing to having a custom trigger job done on a 13.5oz revolver. That coupled with the cushioned Houge grip make it an awesome little carry gun IMO. I'm new to the revolver platform, but not to the feel of a excellent trigger.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

I'll try this too, but that is very much like how I taught her before,
    G20 / G29

we will try a LCR, a sp101 and as many others as we can get a hold o,f the next time we make the gun show. I do want to see if she can rack a glock 17 it surely cant be as hard as my 20, or my 29 which can both be pretty stiff.
    G20 / G29

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Some good advice in all the post above....best of luck with your choice. Now just a thought, other than a wheel gun maybe a Glock and keep it ready for firing. That way she would not have to rack it. I know this is not ideal but at least she would have one clip full of fire-power ready at all times. Just pray for no jams....better than nothing.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adclose View Post
    I had thought of a revolver, like a little J frame or SP101 type. I would love for her to have a glock, but even the 9MM glocks are hard for her to rack.

this is my main goal, so that I know she has protection when I'm not around. She is ok at the house as she has the 12 gauge sitting there for her and it is easy for her to use. But she seems to have a habbit of getting lost in the worst possible parts of town when she is out and about.

Here is a good alternative to the .357 mag revolvers. http://charterfirearms.com/products/...uty_53811.html

53811 Off Duty
    Model: 53811
    Finish: Aluminum
    Frame: 7075 Aluminum
    Grip: Combat
    Barrel length: 2"
    Capacity: 5-shot
    Caliber: .38 Special +P
    Hammer: DAO
    Weight: 12 oz.
    Sugg Retail: $458.00
    Charter arms off-duty.

They are going for around $340 in SE Michigan. Lifetime warranty
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

12 OZ's is pretty impressive. Seems like a nice lower price alternative to a J-frame

My wife couldn't rack the slide on my PA-63 with the finger method,, But found a video on U-Tube, Which racks with the left and pushing with the right, Now she can rack the slide,, And I am ashamed to say can hit better with it than hers> LOL 9x18 she loves that little gun, And no missfires, or issues,, fairly inexpensive, I carry it everyday!!

VIP Member
    This topic comes up quite often and I usually suggest a revolver. The sad truth is most everyone starts out with strong enthusiasm followed by complacency, and eventually people just treat their carry gun like a fire extinguisher.

The revolver design is simple to learn and hard to forget. Be it the LCR with its easy trigger pull or a more traditional snub; they are all very reliable. The various options of trigger and hammer allows for personal taste and convenience. No point in having the more stable all-steel version if your wife gets tired of carrying it. Conversely, the composite and alloy variants tend to be more challenging to control. Either way, they are all simple and direct.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Bought my wife a "LadySmith", she couldn't hit anything with the small barrel. Bought her a SR9 and she's Annie Oakley but has trouble loading the mag. Think I'll just buy her a 12 gauge and call it a night.

I tried the racking method with my wife today

Even with the method described above the wife cant hold onto the slide well enough to make this method work either. Again it was on my G20, I'm going to take her to Bass pro tomorrow after church and have her try some revolvers, and see if she can rack a G17.
    G20 / G29

My Walther PP slide can be racked with one hand, so she can probably grab the grip with both hands and rack the slide. The flat part of the slide in front, near the front sight, is put against the corner of a table or something. Then the gun is pushed down, forcing the slide to remain motionless and making the lower part of the gun go downward. This may very well work with other autos; I don't know. However, I know it works on mine. I saw it done on "Valkyrie" by Tom Cruise.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links